LP questions

Binding or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kostas

I'm ready to order the neck for my LP build. The body has a natural masked binding and I'm wondering what is the closest binding to match it, cream or ivoroid? The neck will be Wenge/Kingwood with the gold trapezoids like Gregg's LP. I admit I have never seen a neck with ivoroid binding, the pic on the W site is not good enough to understand how it looks, so I'm hesitant about it.

Second question: I will definitely use SS frets so I'd like to ask what is installed first, frets or binding? If I decide to have a bound neck either binding or frets will be installed by my local luthier since W does not offer both on a neck.

If you have any pics of cream or ivoroid binding please post.

If I'm not mistaken, you can not get binding if using SS frets.  I believe the web site states that.

Bill

mscmkr said:
You cannot match 100% the natural binding so leave it without any...

I know that but I love binding. None of my guitars has and this one is my chance to have a bound neck. I don't know though how a dark colored neck (wenge) will look with a light colored binding (cream or ivoroid).

riverbluff said:
If I'm not mistaken, you can not get binding if using SS frets.  I believe the web site states that.

Bill

I know that, I mentioned it in my first post.

Kostas said:
I don't know though how a dark colored neck (wenge) will look with a light colored binding (cream or ivoroid).

it would look great imo. I say get cream binding. Contrasting the dark wenge will look amazing.

HEY
check out that wenge jbass neck in the showcase if it's still there

IVOROID binding, son

I think that's a really cool idea con la wenge

but I've also gotta say that it would obstruct the natural faux binding- stunning body btw, congrats

In my honest opinion

I'd vote get ss frets and screw the binding

better frets
nobinding charge
wont take away from the coolness of the body
:icon_thumright:

I agree with Drex...And I love the creme binding as well.  The contrast of the dark wooden board next to the creme binding would look awsome and, I think, gives it a cool, aged look.

Love that flamed maple top with the bengal burst...Should be a great build...

Awesome, that's similar to my next one!  Except my fb will be ebony.

I know this isnt anything you're considering but I want to say it anyways--- I'd love a macassar ebony fretboard with that body.

This LP has a Macassar Ebony board on unfinished indian rosewood neck.  The natural lip over binding looks a little strange with the black, but oh well.  Just a strange idea I had.  I love the way it plays.  This is my first and only build so far...live and learn.
MG_0286.jpg

Cool... is it just standard LP size/shape, or did you have to modify it?  (Sorry for thread hijack!)

willyk said:
Here's a body with ivoroid binding. It's basically cream with "texture"

Thanks willy but I can't see the... texture. It looks like plain cream in the pic.

WMHOLP said:
This LP has a Macassar Ebony board on unfinished indian rosewood neck.  The natural lip over binding looks a little strange with the black, but oh well.  Just a strange idea I had.  I love the way it plays.  This is my first and only build so far...live and learn.

I like the natural binding over the black body. The binding on the neck is it ivoroid?

Sorry Kostas, best I could come up with. Try zooming it up and check the top bout.
On my monitor, that maccasar board looks to be bound with white pearl :dontknow:

dbw said:
Cool... is it just standard LP size/shape, or did you have to modify it?  (Sorry for thread hijack!)

No mods for the pickguard.  The binding on the neck is ivoroid to tie in with the block inlays.  The truss rod cover is my initials in red abolone on an ebony cover.  The ebony dome knobs are from Q-Parts.  The bridge is Tone Pro, the pickups are Highorder.  Parts from all over the bloody place.

Just for giggles, I'm also trying out some chrome pickup rings.  Not shown in the pic though.

Kostas said:
I prefer the Gotoh because of the low price. Anyone who prefers the TonePros?

tonepros bridges are gotoh's, but with some allan bolts, nothing much to it actually.

From a distance of two feet, the cream and ivoroid look about the same. Looking closely at the ivoroid you see small randomish lines running parallel that start and stop. This is a deliberate pattern to make it look like real bone. It is made out of a material that considered higher grade then standard binding and actually finishes nicer than other bindings. It also costs a lot more than standard binding though we do not charge more for it. I would say the coloring is a tad more yellow, but just ever so slightly - I even hesitate to mention it because it is so slight.  bi

I would choose ivoroid over cream if I were given the option on one of my builds.

Back