Looking for some general information on carved top LP

that thing is nasty orpheo, and runner i guarantee you'll love that thing, warmoth is like custom shop quality at production shop price, so if your looking for a high quality instrument that you can't get anywhere, you can get it here

Orpheo said:
no, this is the best way:

dscf2210.jpg

laminated with apposing grains, volute, angled headstock, but still the headstock not glued on. thats whats best, but warmoths scarf joint is the best compromise.

Yes, multi pieces neck are the best  :icon_biggrin:

actually the contoured heel makes a difference over a normal heel. it provides better access to higher frets. no point in saying that you will not play high frets normally - if you have them you play them. so it is good if you have better access to them. i saw the difference in access between a normal strat and a strat-o-sonic which comes with a contoured heel. the difference is noticable.

but related question here is whether a conversion neck is compatible with a contoured heel.

the warmoth site information on the conversion neck seems to say no?

Orpheo said:
no, this is the best way:

dscf2210.jpg

laminated with apposing grains, volute, angled headstock, but still the headstock not glued on. thats whats best, but warmoths scarf joint is the best compromis.

Another Ben Crowe fan I gather? :)
If only I could afford one of his builds, boy oh boy...

vtpcnk said:
but related question here is whether a conversion neck is compatible with a contoured heel.

the warmoth site information on the conversion neck seems to say no?

I don't know where you got that idea.

I'm pretty sure they're compatible, since the pocket is the same, but the joint is just a bit thinner. No change is made to any spacing or placement, so it should work.

in the warmoth site, under the option for neck, under the "will it fit my guitar", it is mentioned that only the total vintage and the vintage modern necks are compatible with a contoured heel. is the conversion neck one of these?

ok, i see that the warmoth contoured heel is different from the fender contoured heel.

with the former, the neck plate screws seem to go in the same position as the standard heel - which is not the case with the fender one.

so the question with regards the conversion neck is whether it will fit the fender contoured heel?

24-3/4 conversion fits with contoured heel from warmoth, i have it on my strat, idk about fender contoured heel, but i dont see why it would be different

OMG Orpheo!  If that guitar sounds crappy, you'll have to blame it on the pickups since you don't know which wood is doing what! I think it's really cool though. I've often thought of taking Warmoth exotic wood scraps and making multi-laminate bodies with them as a production series. Internal opinions on whether they would sell well or not lean towards the "not" side though.

Gregg said:
I've often thought of taking Warmoth exotic wood scraps and making multi-laminate bodies with them as a production series.

I COMMAND YOUR SOUL! DO IT!!!  :evil4:

:icon_jokercolor:  :laughing7:

i wish warmoth had clearly mentioned in their site that their contoured heel is different from fender's and that their conversion neck would be compatible with their contoured heel. then i would have ordered my jazzmaster with it - as with short fingers i would have really benefitted from that.

wonder if warmoth would do be able to do a conversion neck for a standard fender contoured heel. i really like the fender tele deluxe - but only with a conversion neck.

Gregg said:
OMG Orpheo!  If that guitar sounds crappy, you'll have to blame it on the pickups since you don't know which wood is doing what! I think it's really cool though. I've often thought of taking Warmoth exotic wood scraps and making multi-laminate bodies with them as a production series. Internal opinions on whether they would sell well or not lean towards the "not" side though.

*evil laughter all out*

yeah, I'm a heavy ben crowe fan. He takes my ideas, and exagerates them juuust a bit more so its een cooler than what I've thought of before. If you guys dont mind, I will post pics of the progress of my guitars.

Gregg said:
I've often thought of taking Warmoth exotic wood scraps and making multi-laminate bodies with them as a production series. Internal opinions on whether they would sell well or not lean towards the "not" side though.
Isn't the showcase for experiments anyways?  Make one dude!

Back