List your Amplifiers

Back in 1990, I had a Peavey Vertical 2x12 loaded with Celestions from Peavey that was the shiznat!
It was a stereo cab where you could yank the top speaker back off to make it a half closed/half open back.  That was a killer cab, but I was all wanting 4x12's & when I got my endorsement at ADA as was going all brand exclusive as much as I could.

In july 1963 i was one month old, leo and co, drew up aa763, and ab763, the "blackface" i have been a fan of em, currently have a deluxe reverb, and two 64 vibroverbs,  that i have built, in my ocd style, vintage blue molded caps, in spec and low esr, all nos allen brady carbon comps, blackplate rca,s ,  hide glue on cabs and tolex, ....ect.  only part not vintage correct is the iron, even ocd has its $ limmits,  a few princtons may be next....

JD0x0 said:
1. Early 80's Hiwatt Lead 50 head (self modded JCM800 killer)
2. Ceriatone OTS head (80's Dumble Clone w/ KT88's)
3. Glaswerks Overdrive Deluxe head (70's Dumble Clone)
4. Kitty Hawk M1 100W head
5. VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo (Self modded, my gainier version)
6. VHT Special 6 Ultra Head (Self Modded, 'cleaner' version)
7. Vox VT40+
I've acquired a few new amps and built 3 or 4 amps since this post lol :headbang:

-Shortblock SE high gain Marshall
-AIMS modded P2P into a SLO w/ reverb

-Built a high gain 5F1 variant
-Traynor YGL3 mod/overhaul - tweaked the circuit to be a monster clean amp/pedal platform.
-Silverface twin reverb mod/overhaul - Tweaked for complex distortion tones.
-Super Six Reverb mod/overhaul -tweaked be a monster clean amp with a few voicing changes, too. The Traynor was basically a prototype for this amp and got sold to a friend. This mod differs mostly in that it deletes the tremolo circuit, uses that tube for cathode follower stages between the Phase Inverter and power tubes, and the 'speed' and 'depth' controls becaome 'Dwell' and 'Tone' controls for the reverb, which is on both channels, each of which has a unique voicing.

So i'm up to 12, with parts on the way for a 13th and 14th, which will likely be getting sold.

I've got a Yamaha THR10 and a Fender vaporizer.

I'm looking at a kemper next, not sure yet  :icon_scratch:

I just picked up a shiny, new Carvin V3M lunchbox head on closeout.  As some of you may know, Carvin has basically folded up the tent on domestic manufacture of PA, guitar and bass amplification, and a new, substantially reduced corporate entity has emerged from the ashes.  Probably Carson K. wanted to retire, and the business was too expensive to keep up under new management. 

But anyway:  I bought one of the last dozen of these amplifiers, since I wanted a Mesa-esque tube amp and cannot afford the top shelf gear.  I have not been disappointed so far.  I'm playing it through my little Vox 1x12 closed-back cabinet at the 7 watt setting, since I am in an apartment and dislike eviction notices; but holy moly, she's a beauty. Looking forward to taking it out to the local middle-aged-white-guy-blues-jam thingy to let it breathe a little.

I picked up a fractal ax8 a bit ago and it has replaced my Princeton reverb as far as usage goes...

The Princeton reverb settings sounds better than the real thing to my ears (or at least it sounds better than mine does to my ears) and I just pay through powered monitors or in headphones out of the mixer.

new-killer-star said:
The Princeton reverb settings sounds better than the real thing to my ears (or at least it sounds better than mine does to my ears) and I just pay through powered monitors or in headphones out of the mixer.

I'm not surprised. Much is made of the "magic" of those old tube amps, but I suspect that's because only the magical ones are left, having survived 50 years of attrition. Old tube amps were as inconsistent as old guitars. Once in a while you got lucky, but most of the time, not so much. Buddy of mine has an old '65 Princeton Reverb that's in mint  condition, but sound-wise? I'm not impressed. Of course, there's no accounting for taste. Also on the plus side, your AX8 is never going to have to have its tubes replaced or need a "cap job" <grin>

Although an AX8 is not an Amp it is a modeler.

If we include profiling, currently the AXE FX II or Axe FX III, AX8, Kemper, Boss GT-1000 etc all have amp modeling/profiling capabilities in addition to FX built in but none of them amplify anything. You still need to run them via an FRFR monitoring or power amp and cab or plug a set of headphones in to hear them at all.

I am not saying modelers are bad at all, they certainly are very capable devices and a valid choice. But they are not amps (excepting the Kemper powered option which has a solid state amp built in)

I believe we are going to have to update our thoughts on “amp”.
Back in the days, our perception included some sort of tonal influence.  Let’s jump back further, the
true purpose of the amp was to
Simply amplify.
If the purpose is both to “tonally influence” as well as amplify, I suggest any modeler should be included.

I suggest there is no difference in using a modeler, power amp and speaker )or powered speaker, vs using a pre-amp, power amp and speaker.

I will admit, I am biased.
To offer some background.

When I played for a living, I had 3 amps at my call, a JTM 45, a BF DR, and a Mesa MKII C.
Later when I started to perform again, I had a Plexi, a SF Bandmaster Reverb and a AC-30. (there were others had had between those).
I made the jump to a modeler after that.

Generally, when we talk about amps nowadays, we are talking tonal influences upon a raw guitar tone. I think modelers easily fall into this.

Calling only the Kemper (with built in power) an amp, but using the same thought process, an ADA pre or JMP-1 not an amp is a miss-justice I think.

Of course, a modeler can have a tonal influence on a raw tone. That is generally what they are modeling apart from FX, the characteristics of actual amps. Or an idealized model of an amp.

But you still need an amplification system of some kind to hear them even if that is FOH.

Even the Kemper with a built-in amp, in itself, is not an amp. It is a profiler with an amplifier built into its chassis.

I agree you could call them pre-amp type devices that you can amplify via various means.

I just don't think we can start using slang terms for things and insisting that the language now means something than it is. To me that is an injustice.

I'm with Stratamania here.
You could take a Big Muff and plug your guitar into it and from it go to FOH or a poweramp and you'll get some nasty tones out of it - but I wouldn't call it an amp.

And since these modelers can model any amp - what's the point of listing it? You could just say "List my amps? I've got all of them. And then some".

I think the reason he said the AX8 is a modeller not an amp, is not that it's "not the real thing" but simply "it doesn't make it louder!"

spe111 said:
Store bought:
Mesa F-30
Rivera Suprema 55
Fender Princeton Reverb RI with 12" Weber speaker

Hand made:
Weber Fender 5e3 copy - made by someone else
Weber Super Reverb copy - made by someone else
AX84 - made by me

Well, in the never ending quest to buy and sell as much gear as possible, I've also added a Mesa Mark V to this mix. It's now about tied for the most I've spent on a piece of gear.

Been using rack gear forever.
Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp--G major2--Mesa 2:90--Diy Birch 2x12 with WGS et65 & retro 30.

Never felt the need for more than one in house. My Twin Reverb but when I get the itch for something different I use my Boss Power Stack (Marshall sound) or Boss Combo Drive (Vox sound). I do however need something that I can take with me which unless you're the Hulk is not the Twin Reverb.

enhance

In order of least amount of use:

1)Peavey Classic 20
2)Peavey Classic 50 410
3)Vox Amplug2 Classic Rock
4)Garageband with computer speakers

I miss the old Sovtek Mig 50 with a Peavey 2x12 cabinet I had back in the early '90s.

I've been using a Line 6 HD500X for five years now. Hasn't failed me yet! Makes gigging and recording real easy.

At Home, a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10

Live, no amp. I play through some FX, VT bass DI and use IEMs.

Back