line 6 pod x3 pro

bpmorton777

wow! take a look at this thing! I use a pod xt for everything and these look they're going to be amazing. Mic Pre amps, digital recording outs, guitar/bass/vocal's/acoustic guitar and anything else you can mic up.

http://line6.com/podx3pro/

Brian

That thing does look pretty cool. It takes up too many rack spaces though. Wished Pods gain distortions didn't sound so buzzy. Always cool to see new inovations! Love the gear!

I got one of those. Very happy with the investment. For a student like myself with limited space and neighbours that needs their sleep, the X3 with decent headphones is a great solution. The possibility to run almost everything through it is also great. Using the USB, you have yourself a easy, affordable recording "suite" (a better word must exist?) :icon_biggrin:

Three X3's a small mixer and a small PA and you can have yourself a rehearsal in i cramped student apartment. It's good live too. Not the punch and "weight" as a stack perhaps but with hundreds of sounds at your feet thats forgotten. I used it at a gig this easter, the party escalated so to speak, and the X3 took a real beating ( people falling over the monitors, droppping 3!! pints right into the poor thing) but it still alive and well.

:rock-on:

Here's a blindfold test.

Tell me which one of these clips with with Tube Amps & Mic'd cabs & which ones are not.

Go.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=268162

The tones just sound so sterile to me these days!  Too much "smooth" distortion, not enough grit.  THIS IS NOT A REFLECTION OF YOUR PLAYING OR SONGS, so don't take it personally!  That chorusy or phasey clean - yuck!  I think people use too much distortion and it makes it sound less heavy and thin.  I guess it's what people like now.  I'm a 32 y.o. dinosaur.

Great clips, Tony! :headbang:

I'm considering getting a BassPod. I've found out I need more tone possibilities.

spauldingrules said:
The tones just sound so sterile to me these days!  Too much "smooth" distortion, not enough grit.  THIS IS NOT A REFLECTION OF YOUR PLAYING OR SONGS, so don't take it personally!  That chorusy or phasey clean - yuck!  I think people use too much distortion and it makes it sound less heavy and thin.  I guess it's what people like now.  I'm a 32 y.o. dinosaur.

You're not alone! I want my distortion to sound like something being torn to shreds, like something broken, coarse and chunky. Not the fine grain so popular these days. It does not sound heavy! Stop doing that! Oh well... I'm an anachronism already at the age of 26.

Though I'm rather partial to some chorusing, where appropriate. I guess it's genetic, having been born in the '80's...

kboman said:
spauldingrules said:

You're not alone! I want my distortion to sound like something being torn to shreds, like something broken, coarse and chunky. Not the fine grain so popular these days. It does not sound heavy! Stop doing that! Oh well... I'm an anachronism already at the age of 26.

Though I'm rather partial to some chorusing, where appropriate. I guess it's genetic, having been born in the '80's...

I suspect EMG's and overdrive pedals into clean amps are to blame...

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Mapleg4 said:

I'm considering getting a BassPod. I've found out I need more tone possibilities.

Thank you.  Can you tell which is which?

Is it a trick question? Is everything done with a Pod?

Mapleg4 said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Mapleg4 said:

Thank you.  Can you tell which is which?

Is it a trick question? Is everything done with a Pod?

No, not every track. 

Like I said, it's a blindfold test.  Let's see who can really tell the difference.

I could guess and make of fool of myself, so I won't.  :glasses10:

I like the songs, though, the first two in particular.

Guess I had a slight stroke when i wrote my first post. I dont have a PRO! I've got the live version. Same family.  :icon_biggrin:

Cool songs Tony, I failed the listening test horribly and just sat there scratching my head. AH! ze teknology!

It would be easier if you could pick two tracks to try and guess. Pick one with  the tube amp and one without and then I could have a chance at making a guess.

GoDrex said:
It would be easier if you could pick two tracks to try and guess. Pick one with  the tube amp and one without and then I could have a chance at making a guess.

Go ahead, pick just 2 tracks & tell me which is which.

Some Tracks are with an ADA MP1, Some with an ADA MP2, both using a tube poweramp into 2 Custom ADA 4x12 cabs with OEM Celestion G12S50's,

Some clips are using a Pair of Digitech Valve FX preamps into an Tube poweramp, into 2 Custom ADA 4x12 cabs with OEM Celestion G12S50's,

Some clips are using a Johnson Millenium J250H amp head, with the 2 Custom ADA 4x12 cabs with OEM Celestion G12S50's

There were no active guitar pickups on any of these recordings, only the bass player.

We also had an Engl, Boogie .50 cal combo, ADA Microcab Cabinet Emulator, H&K Redbox,
In one of these rigs I had a Digitech IPS33B, DSP256XL, & that's about it.

Consoles used:
Neve console (not sure which model number) at room D in Expression Center for New Media, Emeryville, Ca.
Soundcraft
Mackie 32 channel.
ADATs

All guitar tracks used no additional compression from the console to mixdown. Only 2 tracks have effects added in addition to the guitar rig used, just a little Digital Delay (Roland DEP 5).
No additional eq was used, in fact the engineers in all of these tracks actually switched the eq "off", so what you're hearing is from rig to tape.

out of 18 chances I'll probably pick two that are the same and then it won't be a choice between either/or... like if you're trying to identify Coke or Pepsi you don't drink 2 Cokes, you need to have one of each so you can try to decide the difference.

Back