line 6 pod x3 pro

I think UnSpoken Knowledge is a Pod, and I Stand Alone is an amp.  :dontknow:

Edit: Ah, crap, I didn't read the last post before guessing.  :(  Was I right on UnSpoken Knowledge?

dbw said:
I think UnSpoken Knowledge is a Pod, and I Stand Alone is an amp.   :dontknow:

Edit: Ah, crap, I didn't read the last post before guessing.  :(  Was I right on UnSpoken Knowledge?

Nope.

Great clips Tony! :headbang1:

I would say that it's not a fair test though...you are using some form of tube pre/power amps in each example and miced cabs.

The rig I use in my band is a Line6 Pot XT and a Roland KC150 solid state keyboard amp. My band has three picky guitarsts that use all-tube amps..Marshall, Vox, Fender and some home-made Dumble clones. My tone is as good or better than their's and they agree.

Im not set up for recording right now so I cant make any clips but somebody here should be able to get us some clips using a pure digital rig and a miced cab/tube amp.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
Great clips Tony! :headbang1:

I would say that it's not a fair test though...you are using some form of tube pre/power amps in each example and miced cabs.

Brian

I mentioned that those components were part of the rig, I didn't say to what degree any of these units were or were not used.  There were some units mentioned that were indeed used in these recordings, & others that were not, ie; 2 Custom ADA 4X12 cabs were on hand, and so was an ADA Microcab Cabinet Emulator, and so was a H&K Redbox.

Taking that into consideration, can any of you at least take a wild guess at which tracks sound as though they were recorded with tube amps & cabs, modeling, cabs, or combination of each, or is it just too hard to hear a difference.?

You know, this is not exactly a fair contest. You said that these were recorded through a Neve board, right? I've recorded guitar direct through Neve pre and EQ with some compression from a Urei 1176 ;it sounded pretty friggin good. Those Neve EQ's can work wonders, even with a Red Box, which IME is noise pollution.

Look again, EQ section bypassed.

It's not a contest, just an exercise to see if you can really tell the difference on a recording of what type of amplificatin has been used.

I think it's tough to do "live" and even tougher with 128kbps mp3s and computer speakers.

First of all, as you listen to these, you'll hear my rythym guitar on the left, Todd's on the right.  He was our rythym git player for many of these before he left & I became the only guitar player.  Gateway eventually had to change the name, so we became Prodigal Son.

So, in order of chronology, here we go.

1995: Artist/Album: Gateway / The Awakening
Unspoken Knowledge
No Repreive

I used my ADA MP2 racked up with my Digitech IPS33B and a DSP256XL.  We used the IPS, but not the DSP. I had my cabs & Microtube 200 power amp hooked up, but we opted to go with using the ADA Microcab instead.
Todd used my old ADA MP1, straight into an H&K Red Box.
After leaving the Cab emulators, these guitar signals went direct into a Soundcraft Console, eq bypassed, straight into the ADAT machines.  The only outboard effects used on guitar was a pair of Roland Dep 5's used to create the Ping/Pong delay for my solos, that's it.

The Engl Preamp & Mesa Boogie .50 caliber combo were not used because all involved felt that the current setup sounded great, worked well with the 2 guitar mix, and there was no need to fix what wasn't broken.

1996: Artist / Album: Prodigal Son / Endangered Species
I Stand Alone
This Is Real
The Other Side
Going Down
Too Much Time

I was on haitus from the band for a little over a year.  James Schmidt played lead guitar during that time.
He tracked with a Digitech GSP1101 direct to the console, Todd tracked with a Digitech RP12 direct to the Soundcraft console, eq bypassed, direct to Tascam D88's.

1998: Artist / Album.  Prodigal Son / Broken Promises, CD Single.
I had a rack with 2 Digitech Valve FX preamps, (one for clean, one for crunch) that went into an ADA Microcab.  I didn't even take my cabs to the studio for this one.  I used to morph between clean & crunch with the expression pedal, kinda like how you do a crossfade in the studio.  Todd used his Digitech RP12.

Both guitar recordings went direct into a Soundcraft console, eq bypassed, no outboard compression, no outboard effects.

2000: Artist / Album: Prodigal Son / self titled.
Beaten
T-2
Boredom
Slave
Denial
Alex - acoustic only
UnNatural
No Shade
Red Dawg

These were tracked by myself as I was the only guitar player in the band by now.  I used my Johnson Millenium J250H Amp Head, along with my pair of ADA 4x12 cabs, tracked my primary rythym guitar parts by micing one cab with an SM57 at slightly below rehearsal volume, while simultaneously sending a stereo direct cab emulation pair of signals to a Mackie 32 channel mixer with about a 80/20 mix of the emulated signal being used over the mic'd signal.  No outboard compression, no outboard effects.  Most of these tracks are just the stereo pair tracked simultaneously with a straight take all the way through.  The only song that I sent a separate left signal & a separate right signal was on T-2, where I had the call and response "Ping Pong" thing going on during a verse section.

Of all of these recordings, I am fond of the ADA era, partly due to band chemistry, but the tone of those just rocked.  I am partial to Beaten, Bordome, and Red Dawg off of the self titled release.

Just got a Bass Podxt and it's the warmest amp I've ever played! :headbang1: And I now have 4 favourites on it! :headbang1:
Maybe I'll pair it with a SWR 750 Poweramp later or get a Pro so I can rackmount it.

Back