Les Paul Wiring with a Tele's control Plate

Patrick from Davis

OK, I was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram or somewhere to look for info on this wiring idea.  If I were to use two concentric pots with a Tele's three way switch, isn't is possible to have the controls like that of a Les Paul?  I was wondering if I could stuff that into a Tele's control cavity...  Thanks ahead of time for any info.
Patrick

You can order a Tele body with LP type controls drilled/rear routed for an upcharge; although that's not on the website...

Definitely doable though definitely tight. I fit one concentric pot and one push-pull pot in my top-rout tele. Use little capacitors, keep your wires trimmed and tight. Worst case, you have to dremel out a bit more cavity. Oh, and I don't know, it seems like the pots Warmoth sells are always bigger than anyone elses. Maybe try some other place for your pots (?)

As far as a wiring diagram, it's exactly the same as a Les Paul. from pup to vol to tone to switch to output.

Jack, too late.  It is a normal Tele top route.  Well the switch on a Tele is a bit different in looks than a Les Paul, and that is what is getting at me.  I have ideas, but every time I come up with infallible wiring ideas I get grounding issues.  As far as the caps, pots, and pickups, I am going to follow a Les Paul wiring diagram.  But, that being said, I am still a bit leery of that switch.  I guess I'll mess with the switch diagram some more.  Can't really do anything else, waiting for stuff in the mail...
Patrick

not exactly the same, the switch is wired a bit different but yes the order is the same as a lp.
wire pickups to the volumes and tones exactly like a les paul. then for the switch treat the middle lug on the volume pots as the pickup, use a tele diagram for the switch and the hot wire on the the tele diagram from the switch to the volume goes to the output jack. all the grounds are connected via the control plate, pick any convenient pot or switch to tie in the ground for the jack. the bridge gets grounded by base plate on the pickup, you can add an extra ground for good measure though, most people like to.

Just dandy.  The switch is a bit weird, you have to stare at it to make sure you do not wire it upside down, or in a mirror image, but it works exactly like it should.  If you do wire it mirror image, the middle position will not have any signal.  The top routed tele route does not give you much room either, but since you have the rear route it should be a bit easier.  I just used the Les Paul wiring diagram for the pickups to volume knobs/tone knobs, that to the tele switch and the output from that went to the jack.  Works great.
Patrick

i have exactly the same in my top-routed tele.
i started off with tele style 3way blade, and two concentric pots. the closest to the switch were volumes (top-bridge pup, bottom- neck pup) and the furthest were tone. it all fit into the standard cavity, but the wiring had to be very precise and neat in order to fit. ended up re-doing it a few times  :confused4:

i ended up getting fed up with having to "grab" the switch (i prefer to wack a lp style 3 way) as it was angled so close to the concentric knobs. so i bought a blank tele plate from somewhere... ghs maybe? and dilled the hole for a 3way lp style instead of the tele. works alot better for my preferences.

just recently i ditched the concentrics for just two normal sized volume pots (never really use tone, always use volume). the concentric knobs were just a tad too high (aesthetically speaking only), and i much prefer standard tele knobs  :hello2: i have also managed to fit in a phase switch and a kill-button too. it's amazing what you can fit into the tele cavity.

Back