Layoffs

stubhead said:
One of the things you learn in your high school history classes is that Roosevelt instituted "The New Deal" because he was a swell & caring guy and because rich Americans are such swell & caring people they were willing to give up some of their profits so that starving people could eat..... what you don't read about is all the labor riots, the Americans who were shooting back at the union-busters, you won't read that bank robbers were heroes specifically because bankers were the enemies, or that the Lindbergh baby kidnapping-for-money was not an isolated incident... the rich people were terrified of an armed revolution, rightfully so, so they caved.

The original (and rarely discussed) intent of the Second Amendment was that the citizenry be so well armed that they could overthrow the government, but it hasn't been that way since WWI. Gee, I wonder why, we didn't used to have a standing army till the trust-busting of 1909 & the subsequent anger of the ruling class - but it's still an open question whether soldiers recruited primarily from the poor & lower classes would fire on American citizens rioting for food for their children. Dark days ahead, kids.

(you youngsters may wanna go acoustic soon, when you turn that switch on the wall and the lights stay off it means your amp won't work either....) :icon_tongue:

I could be wrong, but Roosevelt's New Deal was not a corporate rebuilding of America, but rather a massive government works program (Social Security was created out of it and never intended to be permanent because it wouldn't work).  The thing about the New Deal, it didn't work.  He appointed Joe Kennedy to reform the stock market that he exploited.  WW II is what ultimately ended the Great Depression.  Whoever said war and preparation for it is what fuels a civilization was right.  The Romans knew it.  As far as having a standing army, we weren't a Superpower 'til about that time.  What Superpower doesn't have a standing Army.   

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
WW II is what ultimately ended the Great Depression.
And the start of the era "if american economy is bad, enter in war and save it"... ;)

As far as having a standing army, we weren't a Superpower 'til about that time.

Then with the "help"  to Europe reconstruct themselves USA become the new power, within USSR... Now I think we are going to a new power raising, if it'll be good or bad, only God knows...

[/quote]

As far as having a standing army, we weren't a Superpower 'til about that time.  What Superpower doesn't have a standing Army.   
[/quote]

Where in the rules does it say that america has to be a super power?  If the world was a school bus, I think the kid named America would be the bully that nobody liked.  Sooner or later the other kids are gonna gang up on him and beat the living snot out of him. 

theklanch said:
If the world was a school bus, I think the kid named America would be the bully that nobody liked.  Sooner or later the other kids are gonna gang up on him and beat the living snot out of him. 

Or, he might be the kid that shared his wealth with the rest of the school bus and they hated him for it.

theklanch said:
If the world was a school bus, I think the kid named America would be the bully that nobody liked.  Sooner or later the other kids are gonna gang up on him and beat the living snot out of him. 

Or, he might be the kid that shared his wealth with the rest of the school bus and they hated him for it.

huuuummmm?  :icon_scratch:

+1

...and/or were jealous.

But ya know what I say... **** 'em if they don't like it.  :toothy10:

theklanch said:

Popularity contests only count in grade school and TV shows.

EDIT:  oh, and Presidential campaigns.

Superlizard said:

+1

...and/or were jealous.

But ya know what I say... **** 'em if they don't like it.   :toothy10:

Well, that is not exactly how things are... USA didn't enter to share wealth in Brazil and other south american countrys when helped the armies make a governmental slash to take the power in the 60's, nor Afghanistan, nor Iraque, nor Kosovo, nor WWII...
If you get the history the one who get really well with the things was USA... surprisinly...
Wanna help the world? Take away the help you give to the farmers... They have money to buy seeds, tractors...
But hey I won't see this happening, nor other things that would help the world, as sign the Kioto Protocol...

Remember the words of George Walker Bush when he annouciate he would get the 2nd Iraq War: "..........., for our way of life,........" ;)

=CB= said:
RLW said:
My brother got laid off two weeks ago from EDS, after 27 years.... he would have been eligible for collecting his full pension in March 2009.

You know, that sort of thing is actionable in court, don't you?  Get a good hungry lawyer, and go pin their asses to the hotseat.   Its very actionable.
Whoa, for a second I thought you were talking about going "postal"....I was gonna say "Helllllllllllllll ya, it's about time"..
katana.gif

Back