Late 59 White/Maple SSS Strat clone/tribute

Steve St.Laurent

Over winter I'd decided it was time for an SSS Strat (the other two are HSS) and decided to build a clone/tribute of a '59 (mostly, still went with a compound radius neck).  This was the first guitar I finished and assembled all myself.  So stoked with how it came out and plays awesome. 

I finished the body with Colortone Vintage White Nitro, and Colortone satin clear nitro over aged clear on the neck.  Custom headstock decal is from https://www.rothkoandfrost.com (lacquered over).  I also have a UV lamp used for yellowing testing that I'll be using to age the finish further and I'll post pics later on that. 

I did a build thread here if your interested: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=31951.0 .

Here's the specs:

Body:

Model: Vintage Stratocaster®
Orientation: Right handed
F-Holes: None
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Alder
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Strat®, Strat®, Strat®
Controls: None
Bridge: Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
3 lbs 15 oz

Neck:

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Vintage/Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: 3A Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood: 3A Flame Maple
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: 6105
Tuner Ream: Vintage Style (11/32")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 21
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Black Mother Of Pearl Dots
Side Dots: Abalone Side Dots

Distressed hardware from Callaham
Wiring harness from https://www.artys-custom-guitars.com
Fender pure vintage '59 pickups

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3835.jpg
    IMG_3835.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3833.jpg
    IMG_3833.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3823.jpg
    IMG_3823.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3824.jpg
    IMG_3824.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3826.jpg
    IMG_3826.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 278
Thanks guys, I played around with lighting a bunch today and finally got a real good representation of what it looks like now (I've been yellowing the lacquer under a UVb lamp for a couple weeks now).  I put together this collage from when I got the bare body, neck, and parts to the final guitar as she sits today.  I'm having a blast playing her.  I'm building a '59 Princeton 5F2 tube amp (5w with Volume & Tone) to go with her as well.  It will be aged like this - patina but taken good care of and the same with a case.  I'll post pics of that stuff later when I get it done - it could be a few months for the amp.

I'm looking to go back to a very simple setup - just strat -> simple tube amp both built as close to 1959 originals as I can (with a couple exceptions - neck profile & radius and dot inlays).  I want to work on the tone coming from my fingers (the small nuances of a good vibrato, dynamics, efficiency of movement, etc) and not relying on the equipment so much.  Most all my other guitars have a lot of switching options and I play through a Helix to a DT25 tube amp - so probably trillions of possibilities and I think I'm kinda lost in it.

Attachments

• 59StratBuild.jpg
    59StratBuild.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 280
Back