L5s First Pics

Timv

The L5s body arrived last week. Here is a shot after I applied a medium brown dye, sanded it back, the vintage amber, and finally orange on top of the amber. The pic shows it with two wash coats of shellac. I'm going to rub on 50/50 poly/mineral spirits as the final coats. It's not as red as the picture shows it to be. It's actually a really nice golden/orange.

4105767738_ae67ba6b9f.jpg

Tim

That looks ace.  :glasses9:
Laaaahhhhhvly colour.  Great job  :icon_thumright:

awesome color....brown...amber then orange...I will have to remember that. 

I am interested inthe 50/50 mix.  Can you elabotate on the type of finish that will achieve?

That is an epic finish already! This is a new classic and a given GOTM winner. I'm stunned here.

NonsenseTele said:
Looks good! Think you should take more pics to show us the real color :p

Yes! More pictures, just to make sure! ;D

Thanks guys, I'll take more pics along the way as I put the poly on and start the assembly.

dmraco, I use the poly mix mostly because I can't spray in the winter. It's just a thinned version of poly that's good for rubbing rather than spraying. It achieves the same finish as any other poly finish except that it takes a lot more coats and I think is easier to control. I expect that this body will take 30-40 coats.

Wow, a true beauty indeed  :glasses9:
I love that color... and yes, more pics are required  :headbang1:
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

That look great! I couldn't see it at school, so I didn't know what I was missing.
That should look great with that bubinga neck/

Sweet; that almost makes me want to sand back the factory clear finish on the L5S body I picked up cheap on eBay and do something like that:

L5Sfmneckf.jpg

Back