Korinablaster: HSH Black Korina Tele

stratamania said:
Cactus Jack said:
100% confirmed. A Fender 5 way Super Switch does NOT fit in a Warmoth Telecaster body mounted to a standard size Telecaster control plate. The offset nature of the switch is too wide.

Many painful and frustrating lessons learned, and now it's back to the drawing board...

It looks to me like the Super Switch has a lot of space at the side without terminals, have you tried it mounted the other way around? What happens then?

Tried darn near everything, and I've come to the conclusion that I have 3 options.

1 - I can modify the body. The switch is too wide and the offset design makes it smash into the edge. If a chunk of material from the side wall was removed then it would fit.

2 - Find a different control plate. If the switch was mounted at an angle I think it would fit. I know Rock Rabbit makes plates with angled switches...but they don't make them in black...

3 - Throw this harness in my parts drawer, and find something new. The Mega Switch variants below might be an option. However, after finally understanding the Super Switches flexibility the Mega Switch seems like a lesser option.

I'm open to suggestions.

XPYRkPZ.png

If you can’t see it from the outside and it’s not too much I go for option one

It seems the Oak-Grigsby switch is the answer. Just be aware that a Tele still  has a pretty small control cavity, so you can't be too careful about how you run your wires, especially  if you use that old WWII surplus cloth insulated stuff Leo was buying for pennies/reel back in the '50s. It's easy to get things so tight that you inadvertently create shorts jamming it all in.

You might want to see if you can find some multi-conductor shielded cable like this to wire it with, but that stuff can try the patience of a saint. Takes a lot less room, though, and if you ground the shield it gives the advantage of picking up less noise than the old single-conductor unshielded appliance wire.

I routed out my control cavity a little on my Nashville tele build. It took a steady hand with the dremel.  Came out great.

Cagey said:
It seems the Oak-Grigsby switch is the answer. Just be aware that a Tele still  has a pretty small control cavity, so you can't be too careful about how you run your wires, especially  if you use that old WWII surplus cloth insulated stuff Leo was buying for pennies/reel back in the '50s. It's easy to get things so tight that you inadvertently create shorts jamming it all in.

You might want to see if you can find some multi-conductor shielded cable like this to wire it with, but that stuff can try the patience of a saint. Takes a lot less room, though, and if you ground the shield it gives the advantage of picking up less noise than the old single-conductor unshielded appliance wire.

I'm going to keep this harness intact, and build an identical one from scratch. I have the new switch coming, and do think I'll switch over to insulated, copper core, stranded wire for my new build. Plus...I need to fix a few pup leads I trimmed to short. Thankfully, not on this project, but I've been messing stuff up for a while...

Shows my dremeling.  See last post on page.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29494.45

Interesting on the fit. I have a Warmoth Tele body with a 4-way switch, and a Fender Tele body that I have a super-switch in which fits without issue. I will have to check at some point during a string change the dimensional differences under the control plate.

I'm still waiting for the new switch to come in, so I thought I'd see if anything cool has been added to the showcase recently. Well...it didn't take long before I pulled the trigger on my next project!

I have the Tele below being finished in Satin Tobacco Burst, and should hopefully be in my hands in the next month or so. Specs are chambered Swamp Ash, 3.2lbs (maybe too light), comfort contours (I could do without the contoured heel) and I'm having it routed Nashville style with a Strat neck pup. 

MO0aOR7.jpg

Back when I thought the Korinablaster was going to have chrome hardware I picked up a cool looking Schroeder bridge, Callaham saddles, and chrome hardware, all of which have been collecting dust. Can't let good hardware go to waste...at least that's how I convinced myself to get the Tele.

Cactus Jack said:
I'm still waiting for the new switch to come in, so I thought I'd see if anything cool has been added to the showcase recently. Well...it didn't take long before I pulled the trigger on my next project!

I have the Tele below being finished in Satin Tobacco Burst, and should hopefully be in my hands in the next month or so. Specs are chambered Swamp Ash, 3.2lbs (maybe too light), comfort contours (I could do without the contoured heel) and I'm having it routed Nashville style with a Strat neck pup. 

MO0aOR7.jpg

Back when I thought the Korinablaster was going to have chrome hardware I picked up a cool looking Schroeder bridge, Callaham saddles, and chrome hardware, all of which have been collecting dust. Can't let good hardware go to waste...at least that's how I convinced myself to get the Tele.

STOP IT!!! You're going to make me want a thinline tele right now. Tobacco Burst is going to look great on that body, especially in satin. I'm personally more of a fan of Black-Yellow burst, but that body will fit so well with the finish and hardware. Best of luck.

The Oak Grigsby Super Switch arrived yesterday, and it's a perfect fit. Overall, it's approximately 5mm thinner, and in my opinion, feels much better than the Fender version. I got it wired up last night, tonight I'll wire up the pickups, and if all goes to plan (Nothing has to this point), the guitar will be finished this weekend.

gmpovuEl.jpg

A3OvXXCl.jpg

YZmu1hAl.jpg

Interesting. I’ve only ever used or even seen the smaller one, had no idea the Fender branded unit was so much larger. Good to know! Glad you are back on track.

That's a really nice Tele! I like the way the pearl fretboard inlays are echoed in the knob inserts. If I were to change anything, (and I'm certainly not saying that anything needs changing), it would be to continue the peal aesthetic up onto the headstock with pearl tuner buttons. Anyway, she's beautiful just the way she is, congrats on a great result, enjoy!  :icon_thumright:

Calling the Korinablaster officially complete. Whew...so many lessoned learned on first complete build. Without getting into the specifics which are included within the thread, here are a few general thoughts:

- Plan, Plan, Plan: Have a solid idea of what you want to accomplish, and research how to actually accomplish it. This is especially important before cutting anything like wood and wires. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

- Make a Decision: Nobody and can tell you what you should build. Rely on the forum members insight, experience, and wisdom, however at some point draw a line in the sand and dive into YOUR project head first.

- Embrace the Unknown: Everybody has a plan going into a fight until they get punch in the mouth. I found the experience of building a custom guitar to be a very similar experience. Things will not work. Your plan will get derailed. Roll with the punches and be flexible.

- Establish a Bankroll: Whatever you think it's going to cost to build your guitar add 25%. This applies more to rookies, because we simply don't know what we don't know.

With all of that said, this has been one of the funnest, maddening, and greatest projects I've ever worked on. The end result is more than a collection of parts forming a guitar, it's an instrument that I have bonded with. My blood and sweat is part of that instrument...literally. I am 100% biased, but this is my favorite guitar I've ever owned. I sounds amazing, is incredibly versatile, and most important to me, it feels stunning. The neck is smooth yet crisp, the body is vibrant and alive, it's a joy to play.

Before sharing a few final pics, I'd like to say THANK YOU to this community. Without you folks I wouldn't have been able to pull this off. Honestly, without you folks I wouldn't even have tried. I appreciate your time, your investment, your advice, and insight. Also, I greatly appreciate your tolerance and patience as I navigated the challenges along the way. Because of your help and inspiration may family has unique heirloom that I hope is part or our lives for years to come. Thank you!

Here are a few pics of the final results (sorry for the poor quality):

mVoHmDhl.jpg

srZJQjpl.jpg

sUqjjXhl.jpg

I9217lWl.jpg

0MjKUwDl.jpg

zDmlQUvl.jpg

WVjic0jl.jpg

glCqleSl.jpg

kkcL9GEl.jpg

CsZEVvFl.jpg

Au4ihNql.jpg

Nicely done! Congrats on your first project. Now you've got the bug, though...

Back