Korinablaster: HSH Black Korina Tele

Rick said:
here's a 20 option switch that does what you want:
The series options are awesome for leads, and very hot. 
It's scheme 5b5-01 B025

Wait a sec...the Freeway switch works for HSH too? I've looked at those diagrams and just assumed is was Strat only... :doh: . I'm going to check this out right now!

Rick said:
here's a 20 option switch that does what you want:
The series options are awesome for leads, and very hot. 
It's scheme 5b5-01 B025

Rick, where did you find that diagram? It appears they only have two schematics on their website.

Cactus Jack said:
stratamania said:
How is the switching done, with these options?

I suppose with the first one it is a combination of super switch and some other switch for the middle position.

Other than that I say time to make a decision.

Option 1 is a super switch and two push-pulls to independently control series/parallel for each humbucker. I assume I could use an on/on/on toggle to get parallel/split/series, but I'm not 100% sure if the auto split function would still work. I don't see why not, but that's a ton of wiring in a small space.

Option 2 is a super switch and one push-pull which acts as a master coil-split.

I quite like option 1, it is practical but with some good choices available. It is a similar configuration to the Suhr Ian Thornley, with the difference that uses two slider switches for the series/parallel rather than push-pull.

Jack,
I wrote them and asked them for a plan.  I was thinking about a three humbucker configuration for an upcoming VIP build, and I looked at the strat diagram and thought, mmmh, this might work, what is a humbucker anyway, but two single coils stuck together ... so I asked them and this is what they sent me.  They seem like pretty busy people, but if they have a diagram they'll send it to you.  And they will respond.
I found in life it never hurts to ask a question ...  I've got one of their switches on my jazzmaster build and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I get six distinct sounds and no push pulls or extra switches.

One thing to be aware of with humbuckers when in series, they can get boomy.  That's why the splitting is so great to create a middle humbucker.  For me, the series humbuckers are useful for lead, so what I'll do is use the normal neck pup for rhythm, then flick it up to the series hums for lead.

My daughter and I agreed on the Suhr series/parallel auto split option. It looks like a super versatile setup and combines some of my favorite tones. I'm very excited to hear the parallel neck and bridge tones. I have a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck of another guitar and love the series/parallel. Also, Pete Thorn has his bridge pickup wired series/parallel so since I'm using his pickups I figured it would be a safe bet.

Moving very slow I was able to follow the diagram. I had to stop a few times, replace wires, fix solder joints, but overall it went pretty smooth. For some reason soldering was hit and miss. I used flux, tinned everything the best I could, and sometimes I'd get great looking joints. However, other times the solder would ball up, roll around, and not stick to anything. I haven't researched it yet, but if anyone has soldering tips I'm all ears.

I wasn't sure which order to go in so I started by wiring all the jumpers and leads on the switch. I then transitioned to the tone pot starting with ground and just worked my way around the switch. I finished with the volume and output jack. I'm sure there's a better way to navigate the wiring as mine resulted in a bit of a rats nest.

Here are a few pics:

Started here thinking I was a soldering master:

WEMAVia.png

Multiple hours later, and fully humbled, this is my end result:

faQjT49.png

It looks a bit better on the control plate, but it's still a mess of wires...and I still need to wire in the pickups:

klJu4Lo.png

One quick note. Do NOT play $5+ for a treble bleed, and do NOT pay someone $15-20 bucks to install one as a "custom" option. $.07 and 3 minutes is all it takes to make one AND wire it in. If I can do it anyone can.

cYjnjvl.png

Tomorrow I'm going to test all my grounds, wire the pickups, and hopefully be jamming with my kid by late afternoon. But...I have a feeling there will be some gremlins in the wiring so wish me luck!

I think you have both gone for a good option. All the positions should be noiseless and useful.

For future reference, you may find it easier to mount your parts onto the control plate prior to soldering.  The balling up was probably due to the tip not being hot enough and possibly the tip needed cleaning and re-tinning.

Rick said:
Jack,
I wrote them and asked them for a plan.  I was thinking about a three humbucker configuration for an upcoming VIP build, and I looked at the strat diagram and thought, mmmh, this might work, what is a humbucker anyway, but two single coils stuck together ... so I asked them and this is what they sent me.  They seem like pretty busy people, but if they have a diagram they'll send it to you.  And they will respond.
I found in life it never hurts to ask a question ...  I've got one of their switches on my jazzmaster build and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I get six distinct sounds and no push pulls or extra switches.

I reached out the Freeway switch folks, and just heard back. Apparently they are about to release a 10 tone blade switch specifically for HSH guitars. They said their current switches are specifically for SSS and HSS configurations, and while they can be used for HSH he suggested I wait.

stratamania said:
I think you have both gone for a good option. All the positions should be noiseless and useful.

For future reference, you may find it easier to mount your parts onto the control plate prior to soldering.  The balling up was probably due to the tip not being hot enough and possibly the tip needed cleaning and re-tinning.

Thank you for the tips. Re-tinning the soldering iron did the trick. After testing everything last night I now have the opportunity to resolder a few joints using the new and improved technique :)

Cactus Jack said:
stratamania said:

Thank you for the tips. Re-tinning the soldering iron did the trick. After testing everything last night I now have the opportunity to resolder a few joints using the new and improved technique :) .

Great...and also interesting news that Freeway are going to release an HSH compatible switch.

Do I have the pot lugs labeled correctly? I have hum, and scratchy pots so I assume I need to re-solder several joints, but now I'm wondering if I have the pups wired correctly.

Here is a pic of my pots:

ZjKTlDXl.jpg

Here is my wiring diagram:

TQs8oV3.jpg

Thanks for the help.

stratamania said:
It looks like you need to transpose X and Z.

Strat...man I appreciate your help.

I decided to strip the harness and start over. This time I installed the switch and pots in the plate, made the wires as short as reasonably possible, checked, and rechecked continuity after every solder joint, turned my test amp on and...HUUUUMMMMM!

I quadruple checked EVERYTHING. I couldn't find a single error, it was exactly like the diagram. Totally frustrated I tossed the harness aside and decided to call it a night...and possibly call a guitar tech in the morning. With my test amp still on, and hum blaring away, I got up, turned my soldering iron off and...DEAD SILENCE!!!

Turns out I didn't have a grounding error, instead my soldering iron was kicking off some serious EMI. I turned my iron back on, moved the harness closer, and the hum got louder. I move it away and it got quieter. I've heard folks say lights, electronics, and old wiring have impacted their guitars, but I'd never experienced it for myself. I might be wrong, but at least for tonight I'm allowing myself to believe I figured out the issue, and I'm giving myself a small victory.

Tomorrow I'll rewire the pickups...I'm pensively optimistic I might be able to pull this off. Onward and upward.

Here's my new and improved harness:

kcScOIS.png

8TBnCmL.png

By8kzPJ.png

Glad you discovered that before tearing your harness apart! Similarly, I discovered the hard way that I can’t plug in a guitar while it is lying on its back on my work bench. Facing up the lights, the hum is horrendous. Picked up into a playing position, dead quiet. I don’t want to admit to how long I spent troubleshooting guitar wiring before I figured it out.....

100% confirmed. A Fender 5 way Super Switch does NOT fit in a Warmoth Telecaster body mounted to a standard size Telecaster control plate. The offset nature of the switch is too wide.

Many painful and frustrating lessons learned, and now it's back to the drawing board...

Cactus Jack said:
100% confirmed. A Fender 5 way Super Switch does NOT fit in a Warmoth Telecaster body mounted to a standard size Telecaster control plate. The offset nature of the switch is too wide.

Many painful and frustrating lessons learned, and now it's back to the drawing board...

It looks to me like the Super Switch has a lot of space at the side without terminals, have you tried it mounted the other way around? What happens then?

Back