Koi Bass - 32" Scale G4

bob7point7

I finished up the latest project this weekend. Here are the specs:
Alder G4 short scale body - woodburned and tru-oiled.
Bubinga/bubinga 32" scale neck with warhead headstock, abalone inlays, SS frets, and graphtech nut
Leo Quan Badass Bass III string-thru bridge
Seymour Duncan alnico MM pickup in the sweet spot
Seymour Duncan Hot Stack J pickup in the neck
Seymour Duncan 3 band MM preamp
5-way rotary pickup selector (1. MM, 2. MM+J, 3. MM split, 4. MM split+J split, 5. J)
DangerousR6 cherry blossom neck plate (which looks great)
Schaller BML Lite tuners
Ernie Ball long scale bass strings (medium scale strings were too short with the string-through bridge)

I'm really happy with how this one turned out. It can nail the Stingray sound or go more old school by dialing back the bass and treble and mixing in the J pickup. The Tru-Oil is definitely fragile. I don't think it's going to take long for this bass to get that 'worn-in' look.  :toothy11:

Attachments

• koi bass 1.jpg
    koi bass 1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 3,524
  • koi bass 2.jpg
    koi bass 2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 2,705
  • koi bass 3.jpg
    koi bass 3.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 3,347
  • koi bass 4.jpg
    koi bass 4.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,769
I kind of like it. :icon_thumright:

When you say "split," does that mean the north coil or the south coil, on the MM?

Amazing bass, if your into doing it, enter it into GOTM this month, its owner finished, definately a contender i think, Rock on!  :headbang1:

Very cool Bob, I'm not into flowers or fish, but that's def GOTM gear rite thar.... :icon_thumright:

Wow, that is some piece of bubinga they found for your neck shaft! Really well executed bass, I like it a lot.

Wow, thanks for all the kind words!

line6man: I split the MM pickup to the coil closest to the bridge. I believe this is the north coil (black and white wires). I liked the sound of this coil a little better than the other, and it happens to be noise cancelling when combined with the split J pickup.

bob7point7 said:
Wow, thanks for all the kind words!

line6man: I split the MM pickup to the coil closest to the bridge. I believe this is the north coil (black and white wires). I liked the sound of this coil a little better than the other, and it happens to be noise cancelling when combined with the split J pickup.

The coil closest to the bridge is the south coil.

If the J is a split coil, how are you getting hum cancellation with three coils? That's two waveforms adding destructively and one to add constructively.

The J pickup is a stacked design. I'm splitting it to only use the upper coil, then combining that with one coil of the MM pickup. This turned out to be one of my favorite pickup combinations - much more useful than the full MM + J configuration.

I wasn't sure which coil in an MM pickup was considered north or south, I just know that the red/green coil in an SD humbucker is the south coil so I went by that convention.

bob7point7 said:
The J pickup is a stacked design. I'm splitting it to only use the upper coil, then combining that with one coil of the MM pickup. This turned out to be one of my favorite pickup combinations - much more useful than the full MM + J configuration.

I wasn't sure which coil in an MM pickup was considered north or south, I just know that the red/green coil in an SD humbucker is the south coil so I went by that convention.

Ah, so you are splitting both coils.

A MM pickup cannot be flipped around because the case shape is asymmetrical, so the south coil is always closest to the bridge.

What a beautiful bass.  :headbang: Putting the flowers on the neckplate was perfect to tie it all together.

Beautiful work! That woodburning was used to create the artwork? Cool. Must have been challenging. Would something like that show up if coated in Warmoth transparent green/yellow?

I don't recall seeing this first time around. But all I have to say is:

Holy Carp!  Don't play Koi with us, it needs moar pikshurs.

Back