Keith Richard Telecaster ~Micawber~ (not quite, inspired by)

So, some updates..
I messed up the dye on my neck, so I sanded it off.
I don't think I'll get a decal for the headstock, since $20 is a bit out of my range.

And, I think I made the stupidest mistake possible with grain filler. I didn't read the instructions, and relied on my incorrect memory for how to apply the filler. I put the filler on in a layer, and left. I came back a few hours later, and the filler had sunk into the grain, so I put on more. Yesterday, I had the feeling I did something wrong when I noticed how thick the grain filler was.

:tard: I'd forgotten to scrape it off. So, for hours yesterday, I was peeling off a thick layer of grain filler. Kinda like plastic. I don't recommend it. Luckily, I'd only filled the back, so I could've done worse. Now, all that's left is to sand down where it dripped and hardened on the sides. Then get it off the edges, and I'll take a break for a few days.

I'll see about pics tomorrow.

Oh, Doug's neck plate and screws came today! Thanks!

I actualy had a plan to paint the grain filler on thick like that....over minwax stain....started pealing on the egdes and around the perimiter of the guitar...I had a full sand back of this once...by hand...6 hours later I was done sanding it all off....just got a finishing sander

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Bosch-1297DK-4-Sheet-Canister/dp/B000ZEU09M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1215935518&sr=1-3

something like this one runs about $40 new....I know it's not in your budget but that 6 hours turned into 1 hour with this thing.

Brian

Max,
Just want to say I think it's very cool you are doing all of this yourself. I got my warmoth parts finished, took em to a Luthier and had it put together - not brave enough to try these things on my own. I've never drilled a hole in my life, and didn't want to have a 2000 dollar piece of wood as a practice plank!! Good luck!  You've got more stones than me. :hello2:

"I messed up the dye on my neck, so I sanded it off."

Why are you dying a maple neck, and what were you using?

Reranch neck amber is a lacquer compatable lacquer based tint.

Tints are see thru.

Dye's soak in  and color the wood, Reranch amber does not.

You MUST go over the Reranch tint, as its all color, and very little "substance". 

There is actually "some" little bit of lacquer there... but so little its not worth mentioning as a protectant.

They also make a tinted "amber" lacquer, that is a warm tone lacquer, not as dark as neck amber tho.  Its for matching when you have to do a touch up or partial on an older guitar, or when you're looking for that warmer color over binding and such.

The trick to the ReRanch Fender Neck Amber is that you need to apply it in VERY thin/light coats. Any runs will tend to pool darker, uneven. The more light coats you build up, the darker the tint will get.

The next step is trickier and you have to be very careful; when you start to apply your lacquer top coats, you need to spray that VERY thin, just barely "dust" the neck with quick sprays and let it dry, then more to build it up. If you spray too thick or get any sort of runs the lacquer "melts" the Neck Amber and it will run/pool in darker spots.

You know, it might be easier to use a wipe-on oil based stain to get the tint color, then finish with clear. You can get a can of minwax stain at home depot for about 3 bucks, pick one of the lighter colors depending on how dark you want to go - wipe on very light coats, evenly and quickly, and wipe off the excess with a clean rag, wait a couple hours and see if you need another coat. I just did a maple neck with "golden pecan" color stain I had laying around, it came out a nice light tint, not super noticeable, you may want to go darker than that. Spraying tint on your very first guitar is tough.

So, grain fill take 2 has been done, and it's curing.
I got some clear coats (deft) from CB today, and got some pickguard screws from GoDrex. Thanks guys!

So, a small update.
I got one grain fill over with, but it looks like more are in my future.  :eek: Swamp ash, so this was to be expected, I guess. And then another after that.
The neck is sanded back, and the skunk stripe doesn't have the same richness in color anymore. Will this go away with clear coating?

And onto the thanks:
Thanks, Doc, for the electronics:
warmoth1.jpg

(btw, is your first name Brent?)
Thanks, Doug, for the plate:
warmoth2.jpg

(btw, is your first name Dange.. nevermind)
Thanks, GoDrex, for the pickguard screws:
warmoth3.jpg

(btw, is your first name.. uhm... uhhh)
Thanks, Idlar, for the ferrules:
O= <<- Just pretend.. Don't have them yet.
(btw, your first name is Al. :icon_jokercolor: )
Thanks, CB, for the Deft:
warmoth4.jpg

(btw, um... nevermind)

And thanks everyone for the input so far!

You guys know what you've done to me? I go to sleep thinking about this guitar. Thanks alot. And I'm also thinking of my next build. Great.. I'll be a warmoholic before I get a job.
:icon_jokercolor:

Fine...

Oh, hey, sometime or another, once I get my control plate, can you engrave a small thanks into it?

Max said:
Fine...

Oh, hey, sometime or another, once I get my control plate, can you engrave a small thanks into it?
Ya, sure can max...You actually want the word "thanks" engraved into it......

Maybe a few names, along with "and the other folks at warmoth and unofficial warmoth" or something to that effect.
Sorry, no new pics. My camera's acting up. It looks pretty much the same as before.

Max said:
Maybe a few names, along with "and the other folks at warmoth and unofficial warmoth" or something to that effect.
Sorry, no new pics. My camera's acting up. It looks pretty much the same as before.
Depends on how big the control plate is..But ya i could put something on there for ya... :icon_thumright:

Thanks. It might be a while, since I need to get in the area of $250 before I buy anything else. Just send me a PM with how much it'll cost me.

So, NathanA sent over some tuners I bought, along with some free strap locks!
I'll put up a pic soon, and I'll also see how much more grain filling I'll need to do.

Back