Keef's tele help

Mor Paul

Epic Member
So, I'm planning on building my first electric guitar. By that, I also mean I do not have an electric guitar. I'm 15, so I don't have too much income. For a while, I've wanted a Keith Richards style tele. I love the 'Stones, and love how the HB/S combo sounds.

What I've chosen for this project:
A Warmoth swamp ash body
Warmoth maple neck, Warmoth pro construction
Gotoh Vintage Tuners (from here)
Fender Vintage saddles + Vintage bridge (from Musician's Friend)
The Stew Mac wiring kit for telecaster (Stew Mac, logically)
A chrome tele input cup (from here)
Dome knobs (from here)
Tele control plate (from here)
ReRanch butterscotch blonde finish (for the body)
ReRanch Fender neck amber finish
black pickguard (from here)
pickguard and neck screws (from here)
crome neckplate (from here)
chrome schaller strap locks (from here)

what I need help on is the pickups. I'm thinking a SD Vintage '54 tele bridge, but I'm not sure on the neck. I do know it's going to be a humbucker, though. I've heard good things about the JB, but it looks like that is a bridge-only thing.
Also, I'd love to know if I forgot anything on the list above. I don't own an electric guitar, like I said above, so I can't check for what's not there. If there's any places that sell the parts for less, or parts that are as good or better that cost less, I'd be very grateful for any heads-up's.

Thanks in advance,
-Max

if you want a vintage SD humbucker - consider a '59 or a Seth Lover model. The Seth Lover isn't wax potted so be aware of that. The Jazz is also a great neck pickup, but it's a lot brighter than the others - so it might not be great in an already bright tele.

looks to me like you've got everything you need on your list...

I'm not limited to SDs, I've just heard good things, and I find the sound clips useful.

Do you have a preference between 59s/Lovers? I guess the lover would be more prone to squealing, right?

Also, thanks.

If you're trying to do something similar to the axe Keef's playing in the picture below, it's a modded '50's Tele and the neck pickup is an older Gibson "PAF" bridge PU that came out of an old Gibson; either the Seth Lover or the 59 Model SD would work, damned if I can tell any difference in their "clean" sound clips; I'd go the '59. Note the pickup mounting ring used rather than just regular screwholes in pickguard...

keith_richards_afp_224601g.jpg

yeah it would - but that's how those old pickups were. I doubt you'd have a problem with that unless you started getting into some metal type gain and volume.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones - - that can be a help for the differences

My favorite neck humbuckers are the Jazz and my Bill Lawrence USA L-900N

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the vintage type SD's

I've heard some good things about the Stew Mac Golden Age pickups - if you want to save a little
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/2/Golden_Age_Pickups.html

He had to have sold his soul to satan. How the hell is he doing that? I can barely do that and I'm 39. :toothy12:

GoDrex said:
He had to have sold his soul to satan. How the hell is he doing that? I can barely do that and I'm 39. :toothy12:

He's waaaaaaay more medicated than we are.

Another plug for Martin Scorsese's "Shine a Light". You should have gone and seen it in IMAX; in SF they had the sound system turned up about as loud as a live concert. Keef plays a different vintage axe on nearly every song. Sounds better than some of their studio albums. DVD ships 29 July, you can pre-order here:

http://www.amazon.com/Shine-Light-Rolling-Stones/dp/B0014DZ2XC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1213464659&sr=8-2

how about these? even cheaper...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59niclalpah.html

Thanks for all of the help here, guys!
Okay, I guess I'll go with the 59, since it's wax potted. Is it just me, or is the hat on Keith's switch gone  :eek:

It's sad... I can recognize the wood grain on Keith's tele... :tard:

While I'm here, any suggestions on bridges? On my list, I've got vintage-style 3 saddle equipment. I know that Keith uses a six saddle bridge. Any preferences on those?

Mor Paul said:
I've heard good things about the JB, but it looks like that is a bridge-only thing.

Actually, a friend of mine from another board recorded a clip with him using the JB in the neck and it sounded REALLY good.

SrDeMaFp said:
Mor Paul said:
I've heard good things about the JB, but it looks like that is a bridge-only thing.

Actually, a friend of mine from another board recorded a clip with him using the JB in the neck and it sounded REALLY good.

Can I have a link to that clip?

Mor Paul said:
SrDeMaFp said:
Mor Paul said:

Regardless of how good the JB sounds, it has more than double the output of the SD '54 Tele bridge and won't balance well with it.

Okay. Thanks for the heads-up, Jack.

Maybe this should be in the general category or whatever.

What do you do with the ferrules? I noticed I didn't think about those, and apparently they're needed.

Mor Paul said:
SrDeMaFp said:
Mor Paul said:

Sorry, it's down. It was from over a year ago.

Back