Just finished my B16 Tele Custom

guitarslinger21

I've never seen another '72 Custom style tele with a B16.  This was a lot of fun, and it totally changes the sound/feel.  I will most likely do more B16 builds in the future.
Body: Poplar, forearm cut. tru oil.
neck: roasted maple back, goncalo alves board. gold 6150 frets
pickups: Wilde L48TL, Brandonwound Wide Range Humbucker

jxAMwIP.jpg

Looks good! How do you like that poplar compared to alder? It sure has a nice color to it.

Nice job. I like the simplified controls on that big plate. The Chet handle is cool too.

Rgand said:
Looks good! How do you like that poplar compared to alder? It sure has a nice color to it.

FWIW, I have a soft spot for poplar.  In my early years, as a Jackson/Megadeth fan, Marty and Dave used poplar.  In my girly alternative phase, Tanya Donelly was using a Poplar Campbell.  I like that fact that it's cheap, and looks "rustic" with its mineral streaks.

It sounds so close to alder, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  It weighs a tad more though.  It takes black ink really well, but tru oil has been hit or miss with it.  Sometimes it absorbs so much, you think you're never going to be done.  The one alder guitar I built was very easy to finish, but I've never had any kind of sentimental connection to alder.  I thought it was "cheap" wood when I was a noob.  :toothy12:  Poplar is becoming my thing just because it's out of favor and cheap.

Fat Pete said:
Nice job. I like the simplified controls on that big plate. The Chet handle is cool too.

Yeah, I've always thought Tele Customs and Deluxes had too many knobs.  I've also been trying to like/use tone knobs for 26 years.  I still don't like them.  So, this is actually 2 volume knobs.  500K for the Wilde Bridge, and 1meg for the WRHB.

And, the Chet arm.  It's a total revelation.  I've used nearly all of the Bigsby arms, and this one might be my favorite.  It's JUST right.  I did have to use the 1 and 1/8" spring though to get the handle high enough.

Nice! I’m a bit of a Bigsby enthusiast myself with B7’s and B5’s in my stable, but have never done a B16. I’ve always been very intrigued by it though. Was it difficult to get the guitar set up? Did you use the mammoth aluminum neck shim?

-VB- said:
Nice! I’m a bit of a Bigsby enthusiast myself with B7’s and B5’s in my stable, but have never done a B16. I’ve always been very intrigued by it though. Was it difficult to get the guitar set up? Did you use the mammoth aluminum neck shim?

It wasn’t too bad to set up. I planned on using a permanent tune o matic , but the bigsby tele rocker bridge seems to be working fine.  The radius is pretty easy to adjust with nut files.

Yes! I’m using the mammoth shim. It’s a must with the b16 imo. I had to drill it myself. It’s a crude looking piece, but it worked like a charm.  The action is so much smoother without the tension bar. I’m getting excited just talking about it. Need to build another one. 

I keep thinking about this guitar... I believe you have doomed me to plan a build! I’ve had a hankering for an Esquire and it seems like this would be a cool way to do it....

-VB- said:
I keep thinking about this guitar... I believe you have doomed me to plan a build! I’ve had a hankering for an Esquire and it seems like this would be a cool way to do it....

Shoot, I’m so hypnotized by the b16, I tore this warmoth apart last night and went to town with another b16.

aF23fd5.jpg

DhMfk7b.jpg

Back