Just a reminder that people really suck sometimes...

ErogenousJones said:
exaN said:
ErogenousJones said:
Mayfly: not only do we use "droit civil" (inspired by the French system, as you said), but common law applies in certain cases. Quebec is a very puzzling place sometimes.

I live in Quebec too man, and I regret so when I have to do a transaction out of our borders :sad1:

You don't need to answer this of course but, may I ask what is the town's name?

Wow, another Québécois on the forum. I wasn't expecting that.  :laughing7:

What exactly is it that frustrates you about dealing with places outside Quebec? I'm just curious is all. What's always bugged me is places that will ship stuff to Canada but not Quebec (until very recently, this was the case with Musician's Friend, for example) and contests that are open to residents of Canada, excluding Quebec. It's all because of our stupid (dare I say discriminatory) language laws. But that's a whole other rant right there.

I don't mind answering the second question. I was born in the town of Gaspé, way out east at the tip of the peninsula, where Jacques Cartier landed in 1534 and claimed Canada in the name of France, yadda yadda yadda. And Mayfly was right; I'm in La Capitale nationale (Quebec City) now.

Well for once, yea, the fact that Quebec is excluded in some contests, etc... and also that everything is in the US for guitars so the custom fees can get pretty high.

Gaspé is a cool place, I live in Sept-Iles, Côte-Nord :icon_thumright:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Out of 200,000 words, I would guess many of them are repeated.  But, hopefully the meaning was translated instead of a word for word translation.

Definitely no word for word. That just very quickly becomes an incomprehensible mess.

exaN said:
Well for once, yea, the fact that Quebec is excluded in some contests, etc... and also that everything is in the US for guitars so the custom fees can get pretty high.

Gaspé is a cool place, I live in Sept-Iles, Côte-Nord :icon_thumright:

Ugh. Customs and duties are awful. Though from what I've read on here, Nonsense Tele has it a lot worse in Brazil!
And I've never been to the Côte-Nord, but I've heard good things.

i think i know more people that are multilingual than just bilingual. my friend from italy can speak perfect english french german and spanish and of coarse italian. i don't know if that is because some have a natural talent for learning language or if learning a second language helps your brain make connections or what. i wish i had become a linguist in the military but they usually only accept 6 year enlistees as the school is 2 years long. i could have learned machining anywhere as that comes naturally to me, learning language would've been more rewarding as i could only do that in a structured and disaplined environment.

In Florida, the State contracted with a group of lawyers to go up against a conglomerate of tobacco companies about 10 years ago.  The State never thought they'd win, and entered a contract that would pay the legal team 25 percent of the settlement.  The State thought they were pulling a fast one on the lawyers, and there is evidence that the legislators, in private communication via email and snail mail and taped voice message, considered themselves lucky to be able to contract non-State employed legal representation for only a contingency promise, and how stupid the lawyers must have been to enter into such a contract.

The State won.

The settlement was $145 BILLION, and the lawyers said pay up chumps.  The State, in its manifest kindness said, we reneg and you cant touch us nyah nyah!  It went to court, and is still in the courts.

I had the opportunity to eat a nice dinner with the esteemed Alex P., Esq. and Ambassador to the US from Columbia one evening while this was the subject of conversation.  You wanna see some lawyers get hot... holy crap, hot aint the word.

It seems that in many countries learning a second and third language is very common. Perhaps with so many in Europe living in small [real estate wise] countries where they travel and are in contact with other languages much more ferquently than say here in the USA many people speak at least two or three languages fluently. I always found it funny, yet truthfully sad, that so many americans have a "stupid mexican" attitude when in fact many more hispanics are able to speak passable english than american can speak passable _______. At the same time it irritates me when I get the evil eye from hispanics when I speak spanish to them. Go figure.

Gotta love music though eh? The universal language...

p.s. - fudge 9 out of 10 attorneys. And if you are an attorney tell me I'm wrong haha...

kboman said:
NonsenseTele said:
Blue313 said:
OzziePete said:
How many languages does Nonsense Tele speak/read? He could make a killing............. :sign13:
I think Renee speaks four or five.

Yes, he's from Belgium!

Yeah, he doesn't have much choice :icon_biggrin:

The last score I got handed out at rehearsal was an arrangement of Gershwin. For some silly reason the bass part has some text in Japanese that's not on the other parts. No clue what it says. Look like I'll have to learn one more.

NonsenseTele said:
OzziePete said:
How many languages does Nonsense Tele speak/read? He could make a killing............. :sign13:

I can speak some portuguese and

I thought Portuguese was the national language for Brazil? What language IS the national language 'Nando if Portuguese isn't it? A variation of Portuguses?

BTW, I think you get your English across very well..... :icon_thumright:

Is portuguese and even there I can speak "some portuguese" ;)  I get in trouble when I need to be formal...

Back