JULY GUITAR/BASS of the MONTH: OWNER FINISHED-WINNER

who should win

• Total voters
I capo my first fret to play along to standard E tunings, rather than retune my guitar from Eb.

mayfly said:
I'm completely sold on the capo.  It's very nice having those open strings around even when you're doing the usual barr chords.  I can get a really open ringing sound that you just can't get any other way.

Now wammy bars - those are for cheaters!
:icon_jokercolor:

Agree completely.  One of my favorite sounds is a capo'd electric.  I rely heavily on open strings in my rhythm playing, and i think my ears get used to the open e or b timbre.  when i throw a capo on any fret the jangle of the open strings sounds fresh and exciting again.

I'm not talking about capos in that sense.  A capo 2 for playing in the key of E and finger movements like playing in the key of D, or a Capo 4 for playing in the key of E, or Capo 2 for A that fingers like G, that adds dimension especially when only one instrument is capoed.  But a Capo 1 for playing in Fm or A flat, it screws up the bass player's open strings.  Screw up the bass player, you screw up the band.  I don't think capos are for cheaters, but when one guy only knows a few keys, attaches a capo and moves it around, and doesn't know what key he's in and makes the band adjust, that's what I'm talking about.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I'm not talking about capos in that sense.  A capo 2 for playing in the key of E and finger movements like playing in the key of D, or a Capo 4 for playing in the key of E, or Capo 2 for A that fingers like G, that adds dimension especially when only one instrument is capoed.  But a Capo 1 for playing in Fm or A flat, it screws up the bass player's open strings.  Screw up the bass player, you screw up the band.  I don't think capos are for cheaters, but when one guy only knows a few keys, attaches a capo and moves it around, and doesn't know what key he's in and makes the band adjust, that's what I'm talking about.

I see what you're saying, but isn't that sorta the same thing? Suppose you want to play in Fm (or Gm or Ab or what have you), but you want the added dimension of open strings. What would you have the guitarist do? Is there something I'm not getting here?  :dontknow:

Understood.  Fortunately for Cornflower Blue, we don't have a bass player so we're covered.

EFARM is another matter however - fortunately the Bass Player makes herself heard whenever we do something lame-ass in the key department!  :headbang:

I just upgraded my capo.  I had an old capo from the 80s withthe nylon band that wraped around the neck.
CN-62.JPG

pick up one of these...awesome....
resize

now a whammy...capo and DADGAD tuning...that is the ultimate in cheating////

I'm a fancy lad who uses

g7th_article.jpg

whenever I need to capo. I've had it for years, got it when they first came out, and it still works like a charm.

But a Capo 1 for playing in Fm or A flat, it screws up the bass player's open strings.  Screw up the bass player, you screw up the band.

Sounds like your band needs a bass player who doesn't get "screwed up" by any keys that aren't standard.

I don't think capos are for cheaters, but when one guy only knows a few keys, attaches a capo and moves it around, and doesn't know what key he's in and makes the band adjust, that's what I'm talking about.

Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull uses a capo on acoustic guitar for a number of songs.  It adds a new and distinct timbre to the music.  I haven't heard anyone else bemoaning his supposed lack of experience playing non-standard chords.  And all of his bassists have been able to adjust.  In fact the music was written for those keys.

Toad the Wet Sprocket used capos heavily as well, back in the day.  In fact both guitarists used a capo on most of their songs.  Their bassist managed to get along just fine with the chords.

Am I missing something here?

NonsenseTele said:
DMRACO said:
I just upgraded my capo.  I had an old capo from the 80s withthe nylon band that wraped around the neck.
CN-62.JPG

'80s? You mean from 1880's?? :p

I know...it looks like some kind of birth-control/chastity device from the 1800s

ErogenousJones said:
I see what you're saying, but isn't that sorta the same thing? Suppose you want to play in Fm (or Gm or Ab or what have you), but you want the added dimension of open strings. What would you have the guitarist do? Is there something I'm not getting here?  :dontknow:

Yeah, the bass player don't capo to play in those un-guitar keys.  While the guitar player gets to only know how to play a few keys and slide a capo around, the bass player must actually learn his instrument to keep up.  In many positions it isn't a problem because they overlap, i.e. a capo 2 played like G, the bass player is playing in A, and so on.

Just for fun, I've put the shoe on the other foot and written songs in B flat minor and watched the acoustic player moan because it's hard.......until they get their capo.

I've considered purchasing an amp capo (Nigel invented these).

Quote Nigel Tufnel interview:

Experts on loud... things.
Exactly. Bomb; rock and roll. But there's no mushroom cloud with rock and roll, that's the great thing! No skin things happening years later, I hope. Now that I'm working with the Marshall company, and they've done this great new amp which of course goes up to 20, I've come up with another idea for them, which I hope they can use which is a capo for an amplifier.

How would that work?
It would have to be quite large. Instead of this big [demonstrates with one hand] to wrap around the neck, it would have to be this big [demonstrates with both arms]. Big piece of rubber, big piece of, what would they call it, elastic, holes about this big [indicates about the size of a softball]. Then let's say you're doing a blues shuffle in A. Let's say the singer feels real good, he says "let's do it in B." Time for the capo for the amp. Wrap it round, go up a step.

You'd stay in the same position on the guitar?
Yes. My theory is — although it's not been fully explored — is that the compression created by the pressure on the speaker cones would squeeze it up and up and up. So we're talking about some sort of patent. One chap said it might be ahead of its time. And I said, "Well, what about next week?"

Dang!  I missed another GOTM vote.  Would one of you voters mind putting up the original tally for all the guitar entered (if that's even still possible)? 

CrackedPepper said:
Dang!  I missed another GOTM vote.  Would one of you voters mind putting up the original tally for all the guitar entered (if that's even still possible)? 
of 108 votes, Jalane & Mayfly had 25% each or 27 votes (last i looked before it went to sudden death)

Back