Jig/guides for drilling pilot holes for bridge screws? Changing 2-post to 6-screw.

tiscoat

Going to replace the stock strat 2 post modern bridge with a 54mm vintage style.

Saw some vids that demo how to remove the inserts that anchored the 2posts into the body. Think I’ll be okay with that and plugging, etc.

However, I’m wondering about drilling the pilot holes for the new bridge without a drill press. What can be used as a guide for the drill bit to keep it square to the body? Or should I just get a cheap drill press and return it when done?

Saw a seemingly clever suggestion that recommended using the old tone block. The main challenge there is making sure I’ve got adequate control of the placement of the “jig” and also am careful about the depth of the pilot hole. Think once the locations were accurately marked. Make a small punch so that the correct positioning the drill bit through “jig” can be felt. But how could I monitor depth?

I guess a block of clear acrylic would work better as I could tape the bit to mark desired depth and see through the block to monitor it. But then if I make that jig there is still potential issue with creating it so it’s square to the body plane - and keeps it’s squareness while drilling each hole.

What do you suggest? Find a local wood shop that’ll do it?

Last edited:
Do you have a 3D printer? I have used 3D printed jigs with great success in my guitar repair and modification adventures.
No but that’s a really neat suggestion and a compelling reason for getting one. Need to lean toward keeping cost minimal. Thank you for the idea however!

Last edited:
I think you should get a drill press if you think you really need it, not to return it when you're "done".

The mentality of some people ... 😞
It would only be to drill these six holes so sort of a waste of money to keep even a cheap drill press. Might be worth a 20% restocking fee to use it once though. 🤗

If you are not sure how to do the job and don't have the tools, then why not just stick with the 2-post bridge?

If you are not sure how to do the job and don't have the tools, then why not just stick with the 2-post bridge?
That’s a fair point. Generally speaking, being unsure and short on tools is where I begin the vast majority of projects. That’s goes for anything really - but I’m totally new to doing work on guitars so it’s especially true here. Gotta start somewhere.

So I’m taking time to be here and also searching the internet/ YouTube to prepare for the task. I ask questions about the various things as I learn about / think about doing them.

In the case of this post, I’ve decided to use a specific bridge / trem which is 6 screw. Now I’ve got to do what must be done to install one. And my goal is to do it correctly balanced with the need to be as efficient and practical with regard to cost as is possible

I am no luthier, but through the building process I have learned a lot, how to adjust different bridges, etc. Good luck with your 1st build.

IMHO there is usefulness in using a jig that already references some pre drilled holes IF such a thing exists, but the skills required to create such a jig are the same as simply measuring and drilling the new holes anyway.

It would only be to drill these six holes so sort of a waste of money to keep even a cheap drill press. Might be worth a 20% restocking fee to use it once though. 🤗
It sounds like you intend to rent a tool, not buy one. Are they available to rent? If not, seems dishonest. I know people do it, but all this does is raise the cost for those who actually want to buy things.

Edit: Didn't mean that to sound harsh or to direct it personally at anyone, came out worse than I meant it. I just meant that renting and buying are two different things, it's better for people in both camps if we choose the right option.

IMHO there is usefulness in using a jig that already references some pre drilled holes IF such a thing exists, but the skills required to create such a jig are the same as simply measuring and drilling the new holes anyway.
That’s a pretty good point. Thank you!

Last edited:
It sounds like you intend to rent a tool, not buy one. Are they available to rent? If not, seems dishonest. I know people do it, but all this does is raise the cost for those who actually want to buy things.

Edit: Didn't mean that to sound harsh or to direct it personally at anyone, came out worse than I meant it. I just meant that renting and buying are two different things, it's better for people in both camps if we choose the right option.
Yea, effectively equal to renting which is a good idea I hadn’t thought of. Gunna check into the possibility locally.

I would argue that it'd take more skills to create the jig. Given the precision necessary in the stated use case here, I'm thinking some CAD and metal machining/fabrication. My best friend owns a metal fab shop and does lots of work for defense contracts and architectural. To say that he can smoke me in metal fab would be an understatement, yet he has me build his guitars. ;)

Ah, I guess the phrase I was looking for was drilling guide / drilling block. Kreg makes one too probably others as well. Will have to see what diam screws I’ll be using but this might do the job for under $15 so that’s an exciting possibility to me.

Thanks to the many members who took the time to post replies with the intention of sharing their experience, ideas and wisdom! 🙏
IMG_0386.jpeg

Last edited:
Back