Jerry Garcia's Highly Modded 1955 Strat "Alligator" Build

Lbpesq

So I built me a replica of Jerry Garcia's "Alligator".  The guitar was a 1955 Swamp Ash Strat given to Garcia by Graham Nash as a thank you for helping on the CSN album, including laying down the pedal steel tracks on "Teach Your Children".  It was subsequently heavily modified by the folks at Alembic.

For this build, I started with a Warmoth Vintage Strat body in Swamp Ash.  I finished with a slight amber tint with rattle-can nitro.  Added a MIM Fender neck.  I wound the pickups to Fender 50's specs.  The inside of the pickup covers are shielded and run to ground.  This was done to Garcia’s guitar so the strings didn’t need to be grounded, thus alleviating the possibility of ever getting shocked/electrocuted by the strings.  Added 70's Schaller tuners, a Footman Loop string retainer, scalloped brass nut, Raytheon knobs, various brass pieces, Alembic brass channel bridge, and, of course, the appropriate stickers.  I built the on-board preamp based on the Alembic Stratoblaster circuit that was developed for Jerry's guitar.  Routed and realigned the input jack, and hand fabricated the wood tremolo cavity back plate.  Big Fun!  I'm now collecting parts for another one.  Here's some pics:

Bill

Attachments

• Alligator1.jpg
    Alligator1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 658
  • Alligator2.jpg
    Alligator2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 693
  • Alligator3.jpg
    Alligator3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Alligator4.jpg
    Alligator4.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 332
  • Alligator5.jpg
    Alligator5.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 358
Nice work.  Replicating any of Jerry's highly-monkeyed-with axes is an undertaking, and one you appear to have carried out with solid results in this case.  Thank you for sharing.

The Dead will live forever! Nice job........................ :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Thanks everyone!  I’m looking forward to doing my second one.  The body has been ordered from the good folks here at Warmoth.  It should arrive around the time it gets warm enough around here to spray nitro outside.

Bill, tgo

I know this is an old thread, but I'm thinking about building an Alligator replica as well and I was wondering about the neck angle with that Alembic bridge. Did you recess the bridge into the body, or did you have to shim the neck? Thanks!

I recessed the bridge.  My next Alligator got a bit delayed with everything happening this year.  I’ll be routing out the recess substantially more and adding a brass tone block with the bridge mounted on the tone block.  This was eventually done to Garcia’s Alligator as it evolved.  As you may know, the original Alligator had very high action that could not be lowered due to the high bridge, but Jerry liked it that way.  To get the lower action that most people prefer, one has to deviate a little from the original recipe.  Some shim the neck.  I prefer recessing the bridge.  Good luck with your build and don’t hesitate to ask any questions if I can be of assistance.

Bill, tgo

Thanks man!

Lbpesq said:
I recessed the bridge.  My next Alligator got a bit delayed with everything happening this year.  I’ll be routing out the recess substantially more and adding a brass tone block with the bridge mounted on the tone block.  This was eventually done to Garcia’s Alligator as it evolved.  As you may know, the original Alligator had very high action that could not be lowered due to the high bridge, but Jerry liked it that way.  To get the lower action that most people prefer, one has to deviate a little from the original recipe.  Some shim the neck.  I prefer recessing the bridge.  Good luck with your build and don’t hesitate to ask any questions if I can be of assistance.

Bill, tgo

Back