Jazzmaster tuners: string retainer? string post length?

Hi all, I'm new-ish here and just about finalizing buying all the parts for my first WM build, a Jazzmaster. I have not started assembling anything yet.

I'm trying to understand tuning machines and what to buy... It seems that most all JMs have a string retainer for the two high strings. Does this mean they are or are not using tuners with staggered string post lengths? If I used tuners with staggered string post lengths could I forego the use of a retainer? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a retainer as compared to using staggered lengths? I have no preference either way, I'm just trying to understand.

With either approach, what post length(s) would be best? I've got my eye on Hipshot tuners and they're available in 19, 20, and 21 mm.

Thanks for any advice/wisdom you can give.

Do a search for my jazzmaster build and you'll see that hipshot staggered tuners work splendidly

I have four builds (none are jazzmasters, but this shouldn't make a difference) with Hipshot staggered tuners and none have needed string trees. Some people prefer to use at least one string tree anyway, but I haven't found them to be necessary.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=31537.msg443695#msg443695

Back