Jazzmaster Redux

elgravos

Busy day for me on the forum.  This one has been done for some time but just getting round to taking pictures / posting today.  I had mentioned here and there that I never quite got along with the Wolfgang neck that I originally put on this baby so I decided to do a major revamp as the guitar has not been getting much play time these past few years.

Original post was here:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3009.0

This time I decided to go all shred and throw on a wizard with SS6100 jumbos and top things off with a Sustainiac.  Went out on a limb as I wasn’t sure about either choice but it turns out I quite fancy dainty little necks with huge frets.  Who knew? Sustainiac is turning out quite nice too.  I was a little worried about its “standard” neck pickup sound but it’s quite workable – though certainly not as nice as the dimarzio air classic it’s replaced.

My brother has a couple of wizard equipped Ibanez’s and this doesn’t really feel all that similar.  Might be the compound radius and fret sizes throwing me off a little.  This one seems a litte “rounder” than the more “flat bottomed” Ibbies.  Anyway, it’s great.  Combined with the polished wenge and the ebony board this is the fastest / easiest playing neck I’ve touched.  I also got the fretboard edges rounded / fret edges beveled and a full dressing.  It’s pure custom shop luxury at the moment.  Quite surprised how high I can pull notes on this one with very little effort.  Must be the extra large frets?

Another thing worth mentioning: I don’t see any noticeable change in sustain or volume between the two versions of the guitar: the original with the relatively large canary wolfgang and this new version with the wenge wizard.  I think it’s probably a lot to do with the body size.  This is one loud guitar when played unplugged.  I wanted to do an A/B recording just to have something to show but I’m afraid I was too lazy.  I did get machine screw inserts put into both necks though so I can swap them out at will.  It is however noticeably brighter with the Wenge neck – which doesn’t necessarily jive with the Warmoth neck wood tone chart which shows Canary as the brighter wood.  The long and short of it is that this guitar is going to get a lot more air time now.

The one downside: now that I’ve had it going for a few weeks, it has finally come down with a case of the Wilkinson Wobble…  Thanks to Erik Z for the posts on the fix.  I went with the Floyd bar swap solution – works just great.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 1JM.jpg
    1JM.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 774
  • 2JM.jpg
    2JM.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 578
  • 3JM.jpg
    3JM.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 717
  • 4JM.jpg
    4JM.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 616
  • 5JM.jpg
    5JM.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 604
  • 6JM.jpg
    6JM.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 661
YOWZA that is pretty!  Well done!  I've never been much of a wailing shredder type, but the idea of the Sustainiac and Infinite sustain have always had me fascinated.

Sorry for the necro-thread, but I was so happy to see a jazzmaster with a sustainiac :) I want to build one, but with default jazzmaster routing, bridge and tremolo.

I was so unsure of losing the vintage jazzmaster neck pickup sound, but I just can't live without sustainiac in my guitars xD

Back