“What would Suhr Do?”

PFDarkside

So I got a Koa body, and I ordered a neck with a Koa headstock veneer. It’s Strat style, with Warhead headstock to pay tribute to Warmoth’s awesomeness.

Hardware-wise, what would Suhr do on a modern, 2-point? It’s routed for a 510, so I’ll do that and maybe upgrade the saddles to the Wilkinson locking ones. How about the locking tuners, any preferences on Schaller vs. Gotoh? I’ll do the Schaller Straplocks. Any other hardware choices I need to make to push it into Suhr territory? (I’m planning a Lukather type EMG set)

Suhr would do Suhr. So unless you can buy their parts for your build, it's pretty irrelevant.
If it's routed for a 510, then common sense says you should install a 510.
Dunlop Straploks are better than Schaller. I put Sperzel locking tuners on My builds.
My number two Soloist build is inspired by Suhr, but to my personal taste.

Last edited:
I’m in opposition. For Staplocks I much prefer Schaller to Dunlop. I’ve had a Dunlop almost fail and have seem 4 true failures on stage. 3 resulted in broken necks. Just too easy to push in a button (mine was the comer of the guitar stand caught it).

I find the distinctive pull of a Schaller (also a more firm action) more comforting, not to mention if the lock mechanism fails, you still have the horseshoe engaged around the button.

I have both Schaller and Dunlop, I'll say they both work great, though like big t I've never had the Schaller fail, I've had the Dunlop fail probably 4 times in 30 years. Whoopsie! For some reason the lock didn't engage. The good thing with Dunlop is that you can use a strap without a lock button. I say get two guitars and deck out one with each and see which one you like better. Either work. If your strap is stolen the schallers are useless.

Last edited:
I’m in opposition. For Staplocks I much prefer Schaller to Dunlop. I’ve had a Dunlop almost fail and have seem 4 true failures on stage. 3 resulted in broken necks. Just too easy to push in a button (mine was the comer of the guitar stand caught it).

I find the distinctive pull of a Schaller (also a more firm action) more comforting, not to mention if the lock mechanism fails, you still have the horseshoe engaged around the button.
'Been using them for 30 years and never had a failure.

I have other guitars with Schallers so I’m familiar and I have straps that are fitted with them as well.

I’m split on Gotoh vs Schaller tuners, I think the Suhrs are made by Gotoh, but not 100%. I’ve used Schallers and other than the cost I like them better than Sperzel.

The 510 is just an American Standard drop in, so any bridge of that design would work, but it seems like the 510 is a great bridge and I can take the Wilkinson locking saddles that are getting popular.

I also plan on using fret end files to get nice and neat fret ends.

Vegatrem VT1 Ultra Trem + Gotoh SDS510 HAP-M tuners. Hight adjustable tuner posts = no string tree drilled into the koa veneer. The VT1 is an AmStd retrofit and is fully floated. You won’t need locking saddles but they may fit the VT1 if you want, I’m not sure.

EMG SA/SA/85 pickups, Master vol/master tone/EMG SPC mid boost for the Lukather Valley Arts setup

And of course, flawless fretwork and setup

As an alternative to a 510 I would suggest the Wilkinson WVS1302P Full Assembly with Locking Saddles. Of course, if the Wilkinson is not available yet in gold, then use a 510 with the locking saddles added.

I think gold or brass hardware looks good with Koa, and black pickups and so on.

And for tuners Schallers or Hipshots without the UMP plates.

For EMGs I would go 89XR for the bridge and then /SAX/SAX for the middle and neck in black.

Here is a write-up on the Wilkinson WVS1302P

Last edited:
In regards to strap locks, you all are talking gibberish. Oversized strap buttons are where it's at.....and exactly what Suhr does.

510 trem is a no-brainer, upgrading to the Wilky saddles if that's your preference.

I like Gotoh locking tuners the best. Schallers would be my last choice.

In regards to strap locks, you all are talking gibberish. Oversized strap buttons are where it's at.....and exactly what Suhr does.

510 trem is a no-brainer, upgrading to the Wilky saddles if that's your preference.

Do you know Aaron, maybe I will try the oversized buttons this time!

Which Gotoh locking tuners specifically? I need to approve the veneer still, so I can swap the Tuner drilling pattern if needed.

Gotoh locking tuners are the goods. Schaller Straplocks if you have to have them otherwise just get a 6 pack of Grolsh beer and get 6 strap locks when you're done with the beer. Fender and other companies also sell the same rubber washer as a "strap block".

For pickups, if you want a Pensa/Suhr throwback then White or Ivory EMG 81/SA/SA or just some white passive pickups will give you that same vibe.

A big part of the "look" from that era is also gold hardware so I also suggest that.

But the Dunlops can be used without the locks, and they look good. I have them on all my electric guitars.

As an alternative to a 510 I would suggest the Wilkinson WVS1302P Full Assembly with Locking Saddles. Of course, if the Wilkinson is not available yet in gold, then use a 510 with the locking saddles added.

I think gold or brass hardware looks good with Koa, and black pickups and so on.

And for tuners Schallers or Hipshots without the UMP plates.

For EMGs I would go 89XR for the bridge and then /SAX/SAX for the middle and neck in black.

Here is a write-up on the Wilkinson WVS1302P

Thank you for the info as always.

Have you used the X pickups? I have a bit of a desire to try them, but they require the VLP active tone. I was going to do a push/pull for the 89 and maybe an SPC. if you have a great experience then maybe I’ll give them a go.

Thank you for the info as always.

Have you used the X pickups? I have a bit of a desire to try them, but they require the VLP active tone. I was going to do a push/pull for the 89 and maybe an SPC. if you have a great experience then maybe I’ll give them a go.

Yes, I have tried a set out, but have yet to put them in a guitar that I own. You could use the volume and active tone, and also an SPC. If you go for an 89 whether an X version or not, I would tend towards the R version as the stacked coils are then closer to the position of a Strat bridge pickup.

Back