It ain't dead until it's in the fireplace.

StubHead said:
Well, at least yours is gonna be real. Music Man makes very nice guitars for sure, but when I saw this, my first thought was "they figured out a way to use up the triangular scrap leftovers from the "BFR" guitars!"It's a maple "cap" that uses 1/3 as much (expensive) flame or quilt maple.

As far as the split goes, I think Warmoth ages their wood to industry standards, or better. But when you cut it, it may release a whole different set of stresses.
Ya know, I kinda dig that design though, it's fresh, and different.
Kinda has that Vintage car design vibe to it.
Needs more Knobs/controls....

musicman-armada.jpg

:tard:
I can Has?

StubHead said:
Music Man makes very nice guitars for sure, but when I saw this, my first thought was "they figured out a way to use up the triangular scrap leftovers from the "BFR" guitars!"It's a maple "cap" that uses 1/3 as much (expensive) flame or quilt maple.

First time I saw one of those, my first thought was "I'm sure I've seen an uglier guitar, but I can't remember when..."

So, small change of plans. I'm not hacking the beast in half. I decided to reglue the center glue line. I'm still planning on inlaying down the center of the guitar with walnut/maple/walnut. Here are some pics:

Body all glued up and clamped

Here is the piece of maple that will be down the center of the body.

Oh, no!

You didn't take the stress out. In fact, because of the way you've clamped it, you're actually adding stress in. It's going to fail again, sure as sunrise. I doubt it'll take a whole month.

Your original plan was basically right. This one's doomed.

So sorry to be a buzzkill, I know you've got some time and effort into this, but I'd hate to see you spend any more time/effort/material on this plan.

The way to fix this, if you don't want to cut the thing entirely in two, is to take a kerf out the entire length and as deep as the body just short of the top. You may have to make a jig. Also, be aware the body will be very fragile at this point. You'll be able to break that top with no trouble at all.

Then, cut a filler piece just wide enough to fit the slot created, glue it in and clamp the body perpendicular to the cut. That'll solidify the body. After that, if you want to hide the repair, you can route a line for some inlay and glue that in. It won't be structural, just for looks. Sand and finish as needed from there.

Here is a quick example of what I'm going to do to it. I'm going to rout out the center of the body. Then, a slice of the maple, lined on both sides with walnut will be glued in place. I am going to dye the entire guitar black. The back will be painted black, and the front will get a burst around the edge.

Cagey said:
Oh, no!

You didn't take the stress out. In fact, because of the way you've clamped it, you're actually adding stress in. It's going to fail again, sure as sunrise. I doubt it'll take a whole month.

Your original plan was basically right. This one's doomed.

So sorry to be a buzzkill, I know you've got some time and effort into this, but I'd hate to see you spend any more time/effort/material on this plan.

The way to fix this, if you don't want to cut the thing entirely in two, is to take a kerf out the entire length and as deep as the body just short of the top. You may have to make a jig. Also, be aware the body will be very fragile at this point. You'll be able to break that top with no trouble at all.

Then, cut a filler piece just wide enough to fit the slot created, glue it in and clamp the body perpendicular to the cut. That'll solidify the body. After that, if you want to hide the repair, you can route a line for some inlay and glue that in. It won't be structural, just for looks. Sand and finish as needed from there.

My boss was the one who helped me do this. He's been a master woodworker for 40 years and he said this was the best option.

Ok. Well, we'll see what happens. I can't see it working for any appreciable length of time, but I've been wrong before and for your sake I'll be happy to be proven wrong again.

I see what Cagey was saying but since you are cutting out the center the weak joint will be removed.  I think gluing it up is smart and will keep you honest when cutting out the center. 

Do yourself a Favor and while it is glued make a template of the neck pocket and routings...

Nice piece of maple you got there.

The template of the entire body is in the works as well. I have to do this stuff on my lunch break so its either eat, or work on this. I spend 15 minutes a day doing this and devouring my food the other 15.

We'll see how this works out. Worst case scenario, it doesn't. Then I have to try again. To be honest, my girlfriends been pestering me about just throwing it in the trash. She thinks its garbage at this point. She doesn't see what it COULD be.

I'm thinking by the end of next week it should be ready for stain. I don't have the stain and don't forsee myself being able to buy it anytime soon, but I'm just going to take my time with it.

So I'm off of work until Tuesday. My boss is going to be in on Monday and he said I can come in all day to work on my guitar.

I didn't know he had a few other things in mind to strengthen the seam. Today he showed me 'bow tie keys'. So I believe monday, that is what I'll be doing. I also believe I'm going to be routing the channel for the inlay that I made. So, now hopefully you guys can envision what I have going through my head for the final goal.

Syntheticocean said:
So I'm off of work until Tuesday. My boss is going to be in on Monday and he said I can come in all day to work on my guitar.

I didn't know he had a few other things in mind to strengthen the seam. Today he showed me 'bow tie keys'. So I believe monday, that is what I'll be doing. I also believe I'm going to be routing the channel for the inlay that I made. So, now hopefully you guys can envision what I have going through my head for the final goal.

Honestly, I like the way that top looks, with the blue dye sanded off. It's sort of like a faux marble texture, in wood.

Unfortunately it doesnt look as good in person. It might with a clearcoat but I think im still thinking of the black dye.

Back