Is it possible to get 24 frets on vintage/modern necks?

MoBee

As title says, tried tinkering w/ several neck types, but seems I could get 24 frets only on modern necks, so not sure if this is available for vintage/modern.
If not possible, what would be the technical reason?

Thanks.

As title says, tried tinkering w/ several neck types, but seems I could get 24 frets only on modern necks, so not sure if this is available for vintage/modern.
If not possible, what would be the technical reason?

Thanks.
Having built guitars, there is no technical reason that a longer fretboard overhang could not be installed on a vintage/modern neck but Warmoth chooses to limit the available options, likely to streamline the production process. Similar to the floyd nut only being available on Modern Construction.

OP, I'm with you as I'd love that option also. I'm not a fan of the side adjust truss rod as it prevents modifying the neck heel

Not sure if this helps, but some flavor of Tiltback headstock will allow a truss rod at the head, 24 frets and no side adjust doo-hickey

Having built guitars, there is no technical reason that a longer fretboard overhang could not be installed on a vintage/modern neck but Warmoth chooses to limit the available options, likely to streamline the production process. Similar to the floyd nut only being available on Modern Construction.

It's more than that. The thickness of the fretboard is different on Modern Construction necks as well, which is why many things are Modern only - scallops, binding, etc.

The 7/8th neck with 24 frets also has the extra thickness on the fret board. I believe it is otherwise identical to 25.5" vintage modern necks, except it has the fret layout for 24.75 scale length. Maybe this is one case were it would be possible to use Vintage/Modern construction.

Last edited:
Back