Is it just me....

JohninSC

or is the telecaster the ugliest body body imaginable. Im speaking of course, about somewhate popular guitars. Weve all seen the ones that are supposed to be ugly, and they dont count. Anyway, I know they were pretty much the first electric guitar made, but man o man, I do not understand why so many people love them. The upper horn (if you can call it that) looks like some kind of pimple on the guitar that needs to be popped. I know people here love their teles, and ive offended quite a few, but to each his own.

whoah, whoah, hey... ur gonna get a lotta ridicule for that one mister... cuz if you haven't noticed, maybe 50% of these board members have serious tele fetishes...

Though I in no way think that Tele's are the UGLIEST guitars imaginable, I also don't understand their popularity.

I mean, they're not bad, but really, they just don't do anything for me. :dontknow:

Here's my reasons. The things are simple. I love simplicity. I don't like the sound of the strat bridge position, and they have more bite than LPs. They can do many things, especially with a humbucker in the neck. They are easy to modify, with the pickguard covering up the top half, and the bridge covering up that humbucker. The switching is simple... Neck, Both, Bridge. The wiring is simple. Volume. Tone. It gives you what you need, and does well at being a guitar, even if it's not always the prettiest thing, it is reliable.

Oh, you just wait for Fernando :p

I've owned two, still own one, and am currently building a Warmoth for my third.  They are uncomfortable to me to play standing up.  They dig into me in areas that other more comfortable guitars don't.  That's fixed with Strat-like body contours, but when does it stop being a Tele and start being something else when you do that?  I've never had a balanced one, they've all had serious neck dive problems.  People say that can be fixed with a bigger strap, but then the strap doesn't move, my shirt does.  On the normal control plate, I've always thought the switch is too close to the volume knob when in the bridge position.  The bridge pickup (it's signature sound) is very frustrating to me.  It has terrible bite, it hums.  Others get great sounds out of them I can't begin to (proof that tone is in the fingers). 

But....I keep coming back to them.  The look, the feel, and the sound is unmistakeable.  The Tele is my favorite electric guitar. 

I used to think they were ugly and very not-rock-enouch and I coudln't understand why so many of my idols played them.  Mostly because of the shape of the headstock. I thought it looked like the profile of a foot.

... Then I bought one for cheap. 

Honestly...  If you buy one. You'll love it.  Not borrow.. or play one in a store.
if you OWN one and HAVE to take care of it simply because it's one of yours... You might start to figure it out... Because I love tele's.

Also... I've never seen a Hair Metal Band play with a tele.  So I get no awful 80's images in my head when I see one... unlike when I see a Strat.

Telecasters are simply the coolest guitars produced.  You can play some 5 grand PRS, but it still won't be as cool as a Tele.

Yeah, there's just something about them... the original and the best. After years of thinking about it and quite a bit of time planning, I've finally gotten my first. The love for it is unlike any guitar I've had before. I know I'm a Tele man for life now.

As far as what makes a guitar a Tele, well I say it's gotta have a bolt-on neck, no carved top (forearm contour okay), and at least either 1 single coil pickup or the wide-range humbuckers. (Sorry to those dual-humbucker Tele fans... maybe unless you have the bridge-mounted humbucker, otherwise it's too LP.)

Just my opinions and I know everyone won't agree!

I hate Tele's with a passion as well, BUT, i respect the design, because it's a tried and true classic.
I can't stand the fugly headstock shape and body shape, and though i prefer bright guitar tones, the twangy tone irritates the crap out of me, but everyone has a different taste in guitars and music. What works for one person may be completly disgusting to someone else.
To be honest, i hate 90% of guitars in the world, but i do respect certain guitar designs, because though they are not right for me, they work quite well for everyone else.

Volitions Advocate said:
Also... I've never seen a Hair Metal Band play with a tele.  So I get no awful 80's images in my head when I see one... unlike when I see a Strat.

I coulda sworn I saw a Tele at 1:02... Hmmm.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqjGywYOI8[/youtube]

:laughing7:

JohninSC said:
or is the telecaster the ugliest body body imaginable. Im speaking of course, about somewhate popular guitars. Weve all seen the ones that are supposed to be ugly, and they dont count. Anyway, I know they were pretty much the first electric guitar made, but man o man, I do not understand why so many people love them. The upper horn (if you can call it that) looks like some kind of pimple on the guitar that needs to be popped. I know people here love their teles, and ive offended quite a few, but to each his own.

The Tele is NOT the ugliest guitar body imaginable. The Gibson SG is.

Teles look pretty cool, but are uncomfortable for me to play, and I never cared for the shape of the headstock...

As the proud owner of two of them, I like them.  The shape is the shape.  If it doesn't appeal to you, oh well.  The non contoured edges dig into your ribs and if you sweat it can rub off parts of your arm as well.  But, from a practical stand point, I am unsure of many guitars with as many options.  Single coils/humbuckers, wired the original way or like the deluxe/custom, switch position, hollow body, the list continues.  I think that they are popular because they are a functional guitar.
Patrick

I used to think they were ugly and very not-rock-enouch and I coudln't understand why so many of my idols played them.  Mostly because of the shape of the headstock. I thought it looked like the profile of a foot. [/quote]

To me, the headstock looks like manparts

[/quote]
[/quote]

See, now youve offended me. I love my sg. It looks like it has bison horns or something. I will admit though, it does look like it has a big black lady booty on it.

whoops, did my quotes wrong. For everyone too lazy to read the whole thread, the order is:
somebody else's thoughts
mine
somebody else's thoughts
mine

T.L. said:

Ouch...

Oh, and no you're not alone....I've only liked the tele once (after seeing Slipknot live) but that was short lived for me.  I can understand people liking them....but I will never want one.  But like you said...to each his own.

I don't mind the body shape nor do I mind the headstock shape.  I've just never been a twanger.  I built a Warmoth Tele, and I built it classically with a nod to modern functionality.  Single coils were out of the equation.  I put a DiMarzio Tone Zone T in the bridge and a Seymour Hot Rails neck in the neck.  I like this guitar.  If I had it to do over again, I might have put a Floyd in it.  I didn't, because it was my expression of a "Tele for me."

T.L. said:
JohninSC said:

Teles look pretty cool, but are uncomfortable for me to play, and I never cared for the shape of the headstock...

Total blasphemy!  SGs are fricken sexy.  Teles are cool too.  

Explorers and the Star shape are ugly as all f**k though.  To me, if there are no curves, it's fugly.  I don't really find Mustangs attractive either, or that abomination, the Jagstang.

Just my opinion.

Does Bruce really play a tele?  Or does he stand there and kind of half assed strum one like George Strait?

Back