Experienced people - Help me choose the right pickups!!

AndrewLanich

EDIt: Found a beautiful Neck pickup. So now I just need help with the bridge pickup!

Alright, so I know MOST people will just take one look at this post & move on, and thats totally fine, I dont blame you! But Im hoping Ill find at least a couple bored people who can help me out!

Ive got my whole Jazzmaster-style Warmoth setup all ready to order, except I dont know what pickups to put in it! As soon as I choose the right routing, Im clicking buy & all is good! But I need your help first!!

So basically what Im asking is this: Im going to supply a couple Youtube links to some songs/performances from a band whose sound I really dig, and I want someone to help guide me in the right direction as far as which pickups could help get me this sound! I know sound is more than pickups, and these guys obviously use plenty of pedals & different amps, but pickups matter too! (I know they have 2 guitarists, and one mainly uses a canadian ES335 w/ 57 classic pickups in it. The other guitarist uses alot of different guitars.. 62 jazzmaster, gretch baritone, gibson LP custom, fender bronco, etc)

Basically I can pick 2 pickups for my Jazzmaster setup, and I want to know if I should do dual humbuckers, dual single coils, one of each, some P90s, Mini Humbuckers, etc ... I have no clue! Ive played for years but my knowledge is very limited on the technical side of this stuff! (Can you play rhythm with a neck humbucker? and leads with a bridge single coil? etc. Idk these things!)

So Im just asking for 10-15min of time from someone pretty knowledgeable in pickups!! Any suggestions are VERY much appreciated, even if its not that helpful; opinions are better than nothing!

Thanks in advance, and here are the links!! ---- Only 4 links, maybe 15min of video, tops!

1) www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Vgbk1716k  -- The first song of the set, that starts at 2:30

2) www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZD5kPBBPN4 -- Live song on a UK Talk Show

3) www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQH8ZTgna3Q - Studio recording of a B-Side (Deff love the overall sound of this one)

4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXkAaoBOLU - Another studio version of a B-Side

THANK YOU SO MUCH! In advance, because I know someone on here will help, I love this place!

After talking to many people, reading tons of forums, and watching tons of videos.. Ive decided to go with a Seymour Duncan Vintage Mini Humbucker. For a neck pickup, its just what Im looking for! But Im still entirely clueless for my bridge pickup .. everything I find online is people 'shredding' old Classic Rock & stuff, and it doesnt help me at all cause Im not looking for that sound at all  :-\

OK, that helps. That is a very nice pickup. To match up with that you'll need something a little bit beefier than a normal single coil in the bridge. But to get that Arctic Monkeys sound you don't really want to go with a full humbucker there either.

My initial suggestions would be to go with a P-90 type pickup, or a hot Jazzmaster pickup.

To visually match up with the mini-humbucker, a Phat Cat might be nice. If you don't mind a humbucker rout at the bridge then also consider a P-Rails. The benefit of that is that you could have your indie P-90 sound, but if you ever need to beef it up you can switch it to a full humbucker.

You could of course also just throw in a real P-90 there. You wouldn't need to go with a particularly hot one to match the mini-hum; the Vintage P-90 would be fine.

If you wanted to go with a Jazzmaster pickup then I'd recommend the hot Jazzmaster pickup. But I think the P-90 options are probably more towards those sounds you're hearing from the AMs.

Awesome! I will definitely thoroughly look into all those pickups! I know they use a decent amount of single coil & Jazzmaster pickups for alot of their clean stuff, but they always change guitars for the heavier stuff.. and I can never tell what theyre using! But your help is very much appreciated!

Anyone else who still wants to chime in, feel free!

If your getting a jazzmaster bridge pickup, my two favorites are the Curtis Novak JM-V
and the Seymour Duncan Antiquty II, but feel free to make your own choices.

Also heres an AMAZING link to practicly every jazzmaster pickup.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33614

Wow thanks! Awesome link! I love how helpful some people are on the internet! :D

Also if anybody (and you too Jumble!) could listen to these 2 songs & help me nail a good bridge pickup.. these 2 songs have a unique sound to them that Id really like to be able to replicate! (Listening in nice headphones makes a BIG difference!)

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vZovv8cPk -- Especially the intro & chorus

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVRvUIV6G-E -- That thick guitar in the background, love it!

At the moment, if this was me, I think I'd go for the P-Rails. You can get a P-90, a single coil and a humbucker sound from it, which will cover the videos you've posted.

That first clip in the last post, I'd say use the P90 and scoop the mids a little on the amp.

Back