Introducing MayFly Effects pedals

Mayfly said:
That is crazy man!  How did you fit that switch in there, considering there is a PCB just under the surface of the enclosure?

Hehe, it's tight. I spaced the pots and button switches down with their lock nuts by maybe 3/32" to make clearance so the additional switch doesn't contact the board. I could have also cut the switch solder lugs shorter and left the spacing as it was. The status LEDs are now spaced a bit low, but still visible.

Sadie-f said:
Mayfly said:
That is crazy man!  How did you fit that switch in there, considering there is a PCB just under the surface of the enclosure?

Hehe, it's tight. I spaced the pots and button switches down with their lock nuts by maybe 3/32" to make clearance so the additional switch doesn't contact the board. I could have also cut the switch solder lugs shorter and left the spacing as it was. The status LEDs are now spaced a bit low, but still visible.

I think your warrany is now void  :)

Mayfly said:
Sadie-f said:
Mayfly said:

I think your warrany is now void  :)

Yes, price of fun :)

Some updates on the delay:  I decided to re-do the PCB.  There was some noise on the longer repeats, and I worked pretty hard on the filtering to get rid of it.  Pretty much gone now.  And while I was at it, I decided to add a tone control to the repeats.  Go from a hard room to a soft room with the turn of the knob.

Waiting for new PCBs now.  Also waiting on artwork.

Speaking of artwork, what to you guys think of this:

index.php

This is my first serious foray into UV printing.  I think it's great.

Attachments

• IMG_20211220_184808_950.jpg
    IMG_20211220_184808_950.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 163
That looks great.
The top two holes are for pots, yes?
And the one under those is for a toggle switch? Level/Tilt, right?
But then shouldn’t the pots be labeled as well?

Level must = volume
Tilt = tone?
Middle hole = led
Bottom = stomp
Picture is of an arcade  at sunrise.(?) arcade was a place that had pinball machines hence level and tilt. Bytown must be where the arcade is located.

Edit Googled bytown.  Old name for an important place in Canada.  I'd like to think that the arcade is where all the politicians are, playing pinball. 

Edit 2: An arcade can be a place that's got lot's of little shops, or a place that has a lot of pinball machines.  It was the word tilt that made tied it all together.  In terms of the sun, spent time in Japan.  The human mind ... what a crazy place.

Never thought of the pinball reference!  The tilt control is an active tone control that turned one way boosts bass and reduces treble.  Turing it the other way does the opposite.  The pivot frequency is about 300Hz.

BTW, the building is the byward market building:

CC-33.jpg

Hey!  Lucas Haneman is featuring my pedals in a series of videos he's doing.  Here's the first one:

https://youtu.be/1J8zpAtDI3Y

Have some concept artwork together for the delay pedal. 

index.php

And a working prototype of V2!

index.php

Attachments

• MyEvilTwinArtworkV1.0_WithConceptArtwork.jpg
    MyEvilTwinArtworkV1.0_WithConceptArtwork.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7259.JPG
    IMG_7259.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
Based on the labels I made guesses ...
Mix = amount of delay blended in
Tone = how much bass and treble
Repeats = number of repeats
Delay = are there different delay types?  Or doing something to the delay?
Speed = time between repeats
Intensity = strength of modulation or strength of the delay or both
Modulation kicks in the modulation
Bypass on and off

Evil twin is a reference to the modulated delay?

Mayfly said:

I see the chaos switch didn't make the v2 design, was the feature less appealing on extended use? Caused other problems in design?

rick2 said:
Based on the labels I made guesses ...
Mix = amount of delay blended in
Tone = how much bass and treble
Repeats = number of repeats
Delay = are there different delay types?  Or doing something to the delay?
Speed = time between repeats
Intensity = strength of modulation or strength of the delay or both
Modulation kicks in the modulation
Bypass on and off

Evil twin is a reference to the modulated delay?

Not quite!  Delay is the amount of delay. Speed is the speed of the modulation.  And tone is the tone of the repeats (difference between a 'hard' room and a 'soft' room). 

Regarding Evil Twin, I'll never tell...

Sadie-f said:
Mayfly said:

I see the chaos switch didn't make the v2 design, was the feature less appealing on extended use? Caused other problems in design?

Several issues with the chaos switch:  1 - repeats would become increasingly more distorted, 2 - tough to get your foot in there and not accidentally turn off another switch, 3 - no room for the logo :)

But I left the pads on the board if someone wanted to add it...

Mayfly said:
Several issues with the chaos switch:  1 - repeats would become increasingly more distorted, 2 - tough to get your foot in there and not accidentally turn off another switch, 3 - no room for the logo :)

But I left the pads on the board if someone wanted to add it...

Hehe, yeah, if I decide on a delay pedal, I'll definitely want that pinout.

I like that tone function ... Sweet.  Which knob does time between the repeats?

rick2 said:
I like that tone function ... Sweet.  Which knob does time between the repeats?

The delay knob.  It's the amount of the delay through the circuit, which translates into the time between repeats.

Back