Installing OFR studs question

crimethink

UPS man just dropped off my new 100% Warmoth Strat "kit" (except the pups from Bill & Becky Lawrence) and the OFR studs appear as if they're going to need some "encouragement" to go into the rout...

My assembly experience is limited to weapons and seeing as this is wood as opposed to a forged AR-15 receiver I'm VERY reluctant to try and "tap" these studs in with a punch and hammer.

So, I was wondering what yall do to insert OFR studs into a new rout because even if I did proceed with a punch the bottom stud hole won't even let the stud sit outside of it and stay plumb.

Thanks for reading!

Though i havent needed to do it myself (Warmoth installed my Wilky studs) most people would suggest a drill press if you can get access to one.

Good Luck  :glasses9: (great looking guitar by the way)

Try the freezer trick.  The metal contracts ever so slightly and lets them go in easier.

A little rubber mallet, and a block of wood. I put both of mine in at the same time using this method, but it may be a smarter thing to do if you take your time.  :icon_biggrin: Oh and the freezer trick works well as well.

Thanks for all of the input!

I'm going to outsource the insert install to a local guitar tech who has a drill press. The freezer idea is really savvy and using a wood block is another smart idea but my comfort level just isn't there on this gorgeous piece of wood. As much as I wanted to do everything myself even when working with steel or forged aluminum rifle receivers they're seated into a vice so they don't move when I punch pins in and I don't have any way to keep this body from moving that wouldn't harm the finish.

crimethink said:
Thanks for all of the input!

I'm going to outsource the insert install to a local guitar tech who has a drill press. The freezer idea is really savvy and using a wood block is another smart idea but my comfort level just isn't there on this gorgeous piece of wood. As much as I wanted to do everything myself even when working with steel or forged aluminum rifle receivers they're seated into a vice so they don't move when I punch pins in and I don't have any way to keep this body from moving that wouldn't harm the finish.

I think you made the right call  :icon_thumright:

Back