I need advice on purchasing a spray set up

RU36

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have recently been converted to the school of thought that rattle can finishes are not that great.

Also I plan on doing all my guitars DIY from here out so I might as well get a spry rig.

My plan is to start with some entry level gear and upgrade as I go.
Something that can do solid and sunburst patterns.

Are the spray guns they offer at stew mac garbage?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Equipment:_Spray_equipment/Spray_Guns.html

Would would be an economical set up as far as spray gun, compressor, filter / dryers?

I have been looking around online and it has only reinforced the realization that i don't know shitee about finishing gear.

I suggest that you start with the Stew Mac "Spray Finishing Basics". This will answer many of your questions on set up.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Video,_DVD/Finishing,_repair/Spray_Finishing.html

Make sure your air compressor’s CFM output meet's the requirement of the gun you purchase.  The gun you linked to in your question needs 3 CFM.  If you do not have that much airflow the gun will spit and not be able to keep up, especially when you are spraying bursts.

I also suggest that you look through my posts. I have done many step-by-step DIY posts with pictures and explanations of the entire process that you may find helpful.

Thanks Tonar,
I just ordered the video and I will start there.

What do you think about the spray gun from stew mac?
Is it Junk?

I've been real happy with everything I have received from stew-mac. I don't think anything they sell is junk.  They try to supply a very picky bunch of people. So selling junk wouldn't do them any good.

Alfang said:
I've been real happy with everything I have received from stew-mac. I don't think anything they sell is junk.  They try to supply a very picky bunch of people. So selling junk wouldn't do them any good.
I have been happy with every thing they have sent me so far except the black rattle can lacquer.
It was a bit of a pain to work with and the way it sprayed from the can was a mess. But I guess I should of expected  that from a spray can.

I have not used that gun so I do not have any experience with it.  The key to a guns performance is matching the needle, fluid nozzle, and air cap to the type of material you are spraying.  On my gun I can use the same air cap but I change the needle and fluid cap to the smallest size available.  The set that came with the gun was for more viscous materials like automotive paints. I’m sure Stew-Mac sells the guns ready to spray lacquers since they are dealing with Luthiers.

You may want to check Ebay for a deal. I scored a really nice DeVilbiss jamb gun for $50.00 that I have used for bursts.  

Please remember not to shoot lacquers around open flames like on water heaters. Nitrocellulose is explosive!

Just finished watching the video you suggested and as you said it has answered all my questions.
Now I just need to buy more guitars to paint! :headbang:

Back