Sunburst finish - airbrush or spray gun?

Dolando

Hello,

I'm not at the stage yet, but I plan on doing a slight burst around the edge of my jazz build. Going for something similar to this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5o4lkt0jAo

I'm thinking of getting an airbrush gun to do it, but I'm not sure what size compressor I'd need. I don't want to spend too much as I wont be using it a lot, but I want something that would do a good job. I plan on using Nitro lacquer with a thinner obviously, so I'm not sure if this effects what size I need. I've seen this;

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/complete-kits/mini-portable-compressor-set-2

Is this too small, or is this kind of size common for airbrushing. or would I be better off with something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Airbrush-Compressor-AS18-2-Oil-free-/121090406137?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item1c318cf6f9

Or...am I barking up the wrong tree, and should I be looking at spray guns. I have been given a Kent Aerograph Spray Gun, so could get a compressor to work with that....

I'm completely new to this kind of spraying, I've only ever used spray cans, and I reckon i could get better results with airbrush or a spray gun. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Adam

The airbrush would appear to work for the burst, but you'll spend half a career trying to put on all the clear coats afterwards. Be like painting a house with an artist's brush.

HAHA yea. I would probably apply the clear with spray cans, just think ill get better control for a burst with a airbrush.

If I planned on using the aerograph gun, what kind of compressor would I be looking at for that. Would i be looking at the one one on ebay or Would 30PSI be enough?

Cheers

I'm not familiar with that gun. But, generally speaking, pressure isn't the issue so much as flow. Anything can work up a decent pressure, but not necessary move a lot of air. Also, the gun has a lot to do with the air demands. For instance, an HVLP gun may only need 4-5 psi, but at 40cfm. That's a lotta air and is usually supplied by a turbine rather than a compressor. High pressure systems will want maybe 35-40 psi at 2 to 5 cfm. With those, you generally need a buffer tank. Most home compressor systems will work, something like a 1 or 2 HP unit with a 20 gal tank. Those are common as dirt, so you may be able to pick one up used at a pretty reasonable price. Lotta garages out there with compressors sitting in them just rotting.

Right, There are a few things in there that i think i need to google. I cant find the specs for this gun any where and the box doesn't say anything helpful. Ill have a word with the guy who gave it to me, and see if he knows anything about it. There are a couple of airbrush compressors that i think would do the burst on ebay, so will see what they go for. Might get it if its the right price.

But it would be handy to have a spray gun setup, then i can do the burst and the clear coats.

Depending on that gun, you may not need the airbrush. But, if you wanted to use one anyway, with a full-size compressor you could probably just get some fittings to hook an airbrush up to it, rather than have a separate little compressor for that. I knew a guy years ago who used to just overfill a truck tire he had laying around and use that as a supply for his airbrush.

Cagey said:
I knew a guy years ago who used to just overfill a truck tire he had laying around and use that as a supply for his airbrush.

Haha that's mental...pressure is pressure I guess!

I'm going to try get some specs for the gun. If not might go the airbrush route as I only really want the burst to be around an inch or so from the edge and reckon ill have more control with the airbrush? Or am I talking rubbish. Ha :)

Having extra-fine control may not be as good a thing as you might imagine. Makes it easy to have uneven edges. But, I'm sure as will all things paint, experience has more to do with that than anything else.

True. Whatever I go with, ill obviously be doing test pieces first to get the technique and colour right.

I'd say spray gun, most of the vids on youtube use gravity feed spray guns (the paint is
in a cup above the gun). Better guns have full control at the gun a) airflow to the gun
b) fan pattern (=round to fan shape) c) fluid flow the needle(how much paint falls into the air at the tip). All these guns will be twin action. First pull activates air flow, as the trigger moves
closer to the handle the paint enters the airflow & increases as far as you have adjusted
the needle.
I can't see any problen to use a low cost  gravity gun with fan & fluid control but you will
need a regulator & moisture trap air line & air source.
First spray rig I owned was a twin action airbrush run off a CO2 cylinder, regulator was off
a beer line thrown out from a Dance Hall Bar.

Thanks leo that's a great help.

I think this is the gun, but I can't find any specs on it.

http://www.kenteurope.com/uk/shop/viewfamily.php?viewfamily=8390&sectionid=235&type=Auto

I think it's a fairly good one, feels pretty solid to me any way. I don't suppose anyone could tell me what compressor would work with this...?

I can't find specs on it either, Its a basic gravity feed gun. The air cap would give a good idea
as to how much air it requires if it has lots of holes it will use more air. IF needle & fluid tip is  1.4mm thats fine. 1.8 or larger is to big (to much paint flow).
Compressors generally do 4cfm (cubic foot per minute) per horsepower which realistically
translates to 3 cfm FAD (free air delivery).So for each horsepower you get 3 cfm.

I don't know about that gun, but on mine the needle valve diameter is marked on the "needle" part. You have to disassemble it to know for sure what it is.

Probably not a bad idea to do that anyway, so you can be sure it's clean.

It should be on the outer edge of the fluid tip once you unscrew the air cap .
Devilbiss for example have needles labeled with 2 letters but the fluid tip will
have both.
eg:    GX=.9, FX=1.1, FF=1.4, FW=1.6, EX=1.8, D=2.2.
If you can get a pic up of the gun with the air cap off & a pic of the air cap.

Thanks for the help and being patient with me. Here are all the info I could find on the gun along with a pic of the actual gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 457
  • image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 372
Thats a hard gun to get specs on I called their tec dept said they would email I'm still
waiting, found this,
http://www.kenteurope.com/it/datasheets/85812.pdf
Think its Italian. Anyway fluid tip says 1.2  in your pics I'd say thats close enough.
Is this a gun you can borrow that Company quoted £137 a bit pricey if its just for a body
or two. Do you have a cup for the paint?

Really!?

Thanks for calling them, you didn't have to do that! I cant remember if i said, but my girlfiends dad gave it to me. I think he said I could have it, not sure if he means in a semi permanent basis or what...

I have a small pot with it, a bit bigger than a shot glass size, he sisd hes going to try get me a bigger one. So it will do the job then? ;)

He said I can obviously use the compressors and spray booth at his work, but I would like one in my garage if its not to expensive to be able to experiment with different finishes.

Another nice thing about having a compressor in the garage is you can do other things besides paint with it. You can keep tires inflated, run an impact wrench so you can rotate them easily, and a lot of other tools you can hook up as well. Get a little refillable compressed air can like this...

31qMfuTbihL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...so you can spray cleaners, insecticide, paint, etc. or even just compressed air for use as a duster in your computers or other stuff you can't really wipe. Compressed air is a handy thing to have around.

Back