i hate warmoth for what they have done to me

Any thoughtful person can make a list of at least a dozen factors why one guitar should or shouldn't sound "like" another, before you ever get to the amplifier, speaker, or the gob of meat connected to the strings.... If you're serious about trying to duplicate sounds found on recordings, you need some substantive tone shaping before the overdrive sections, either a 15 -30 band graphic EQ or a parametric EQ with at least four bands with variable Q width and center frequencies. You need control over preamp (12AX7) overdrive, then another EQ after that, control over the power amp distortion, then another EQ stage - this last is usually furnished by speaker selection, i.e. 12" guitar speakers with no tweeters kill off a lot of highs, 25 watt "classic" speakers distort and hi-fi JBL's don't. If you have all that*, then any decent guitar pickup that furnishes adequate highs, mids, and lows will be a good starting point, once you understand what frequencies you're trying to duplicate.
And, it's all assuming your guitar doesn't just totally suck, which it probably doesn't - probably, you suck... :party07:

*(The best modelers, like the Digitech GSP, Boss VF-1, or the newer amp plug-ins give you all this, though you have to figure out how to move the preamps and EQ's around... no glowing, smelly tubes, alas)
There are a lot of historical accidents that sound good, mostly because we've grown up listening to them, hence we think they're "right"... :eek:ccasion14:
What guitar mags trying to sell you guitars and stompboxes and modelers don't tell you about is the $25,000 worth of high-end Eventide & Lexicon rack processors that guitar gods run through after the soundboard feed  :evil4: -
- gee, maybe this $150 stompbox'll do it.... no? Well, then I need a new pickup... no? Well, clearly I need a $80 guitar cord.... :hello2: :cool01: :blob7:

lol
and i was always wondering who they sell those "high end" stuff to.
i guess it does matter, i'm not trying to duplicate sounds on records
i'm just trying to get that mahogany vibe, which gives grit to the sound with the low end of a paul and the clarity of pafs
peter green is also a huge influence, so i would try the out of phase middle position too

Xplorervoodoo said:
Ang3lus said:
so all in all a warmoth LP doesn't sound like a gibby LP ?

Depends on what pickups you put in it, I would say...

My Gibson LP and my Son's Warmoth LP are very similar in construction, the only difference is his neck is maple vs Mahogany and of course it is bolt on.  We have the same pick ups in both guitars (EMG 81/85).  Both guitars sound the same with no noticable difference in sustain.

I have always been a die hard LP guy.  I love my Gibson LP.  I have never had any issues with it over the last 20 years.  It is needing a refret job but every guitar will eventually need that (SS fret aside).  My Warmoth LP has met my expectations in every way, it is unique, it plays extreamly well, sounds great, was built at a fraction of the price a Gibson custom shop guitar would have been, and the best part is, it was built by me.  The only time I notice it has a bolt on neck is when I turn it over and look at it.

Would I every buy a Gibson LP again?  Of course, if the right one comes along...  As far as building another Warmoth, it's only a matter of time... :icon_thumright:

that's the review i been waiting for to pull the trigger ;0
i'll have to buy each part seperately, just in time though for my vacation

how much time do they usually take to make the neck ?
i think i'll grab that factory second body as it seems the best value for me atm
but for a neck i'd want mahogany/rosewood with 59 back contour.

Custom order parts take 8 weeks or so.  It all depends on thier work load.  I have ordered 2 bodies and 2 necks custom order and all 4 pieces took right at 8 weeks.

Back