I believe I sold my soul to the reaper today

Kvebbs

No, not THE Reaper, this one; http://www.reaper.fm - anyone else tried this recording-program?

If you are as frustrated with expensive recording-software that does everything you want and need + 30 000 million things you don't want or need + crashes every other take - Reaper may be your saviour:D Atleast it looks to be mine atm :headbang1:

Or maybe I'm just slow, and everyone else already tried it? :laughing7: Check the specs atleast before you dismiss it, you won't regret trying it out I think!

Siht, that sounded like a TVShop commercial :icon_jokercolor: , hope it helps some of you out though!

Tonar is wonderful at making finishes on guitars and reaper is a computer program.  :icon_tongue:

All recording software does basically the same things ... they just use different key commands.

What makes or breaks a home recording studio is hardware.  That's where a/d conversion takes place.  3rd party support is also REALLY important if you want to play with virtual instruments and / or plugins.

I've been a ProTools user forever.  Yeah, its a little more expensive, and it sucks that you are forced to use their hardware (although it does sound pretty good).  But 3rd party support is almost unmatched, and I've rarely had any kind of hiccup.  They are industry standard for a reason.

And no, I'm not a Digidesign sales rep .....  :toothy11:

So far everything has worked; EzDrummer or free strange vsti and effects without even as much as a hickup... All it needed was my vsti-folder... Havent found any really bad comments on it yet either, but there is not much info to find on this program at all either. found my m-audio usb keyboard in a flash, also I've found a plugin that sopposedly syncs my Pod X3-live's effect-tempo's with the midi clicktrack... can't wait to test that one out! Could be cool for a gig if I ever have a drummer playing on click=). Written by some guy on the reaper-forum or something, should prove interesting:D

Mark-O; Haven't used sonar much, though I felt the setup was much more similar to sonar than to cubase or pro tools (been a couple of years since I had access to pro tools though). I mostly have experience with Cubase... But you can do wonders with macro's;)

And you are right AndyG, the hardware is what makes or breaks the sound, and I'll stick to my trusty X3 or Presonus Firepod on my budget anyway so for me its a no-brainer:D Just tought I should put it out here since I thought the program was great, cheap, small and effective for my use=)

And no, I'm not a Reaper sales rep....  :D

I've just started looking around for an easy t use recording software.  I just tried Propellerhead's beta of "Record You." It was a cool interface, but the lag time from input to when I could hear it through the headphones made it unacceptable. Have you experienced that problem with "the Reaper?"

Record looks sweeeet:D 300$ though:D Something like that might be an investment to make when I'm done studying and start making money :hello2: Considering whats in the package, 300$ actually is cheap as hlell.

And jump, what kind of hardware are you using? Hardware, hardware settings or hardware drivers are probably the cause of your lag I'd say...

It's not software that causes lag, it's improper settings or crap hardware. I use cakewalk sonar 7 and I like it, but I have only tried a couple of others - Sony's Acid and garageband. Audacity is free software that everyone should have.
Reaper sounds good, the price is right, but I already have one setup I like and am not about to try another. Take their free trial offer and let us know how it works.

Hmm Reaper, I'll have to try that.  So far I've had fairly good luck with Acoustica's Mixcraft, but I'm always looking for new stuff to try out.

Mark O said:
Very interesting.... how does it compare to Sonar?

A general comparision:
Reaper has limited midi options compared to Sonar. Reaper is not as advanced in midi functionality.
Reaper has better performance than Sonar for audio ( in general ) and is less CPU hungry than Sonar.

Back