Real amps vs fake amps

Thanks for the reply Cagey, and your impressions on the box it's a great deal at the moment on the 11 rack.

I'm thinking on it. I think I selected a good amp tonight, just a matter of throwing together the cash. I'm really digging this:

$_57.JPG

I love solid state amps, and this one sounds amazing in person, very affordable as well. Super, super transparent cleans... It'll sound great when I add a good processor.

Thoughts?

By the way, found a cool demo of the eleven rack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEYbvDva50#

Decided to focus on a good amp though first. Ya know... Money's a bitch.  :)

Just realized that earlier on, I was referring to the Pod HD Pro X as a pod pro, but I was talking about the rack unit, not the bean shaped desktop unit.

I'm really so conflicted now. Loved the Peavey 6505+ combo I tried the other day, found out tesseract used the 11rack on their first album for all the cleans, and I adore the cleans on that album... Been hearing lots of great demos of the line 6 pro HD x, for everything from djent to church style ambience and bright blackface combos. Still interested in the tiny terror, but less so now. My issue is that I can't find anywhere in Austin to test out either of the racks, so that's frustrating. I really want to hear whether they're as convincing in person as they are in the various demos I've heard.

Ideally, I'd really, really like to have a footswitchable A/B setup... Peavey 6505+ for my dirty sound, a line 6 pod x for my clean sound, and just a few pedals... Noise gate and Pro Tone Dead Horse into the 5150, and an earthquaker devices afterneath paired with an MXR carbon copy delay going into the pod. I think that would make for a great rig. Of course I don't have that kind of money, but I just might work my way up.

If money I tight, I would go for the gear that is going to give you the most flexibility, features and benefits you are looking for. You can always add to it later if you feel the need.

Probably the HD Pro X and a foot controller will give you most of what you need. It isn't an Axe FX but it's a great bang for the buck. Speaking of which there is a product called Amplifire that Atomic and Studio Devil are working on which may be affordable and interesting but when it will be released I don't know...

stratamania said:
If money I tight, I would go for the gear that is going to give you the most flexibility, features and benefits you are looking for. You can always add to it later if you feel the need.

That's kind of what I was thinking... The pro x seems to be a very nice unit, and I've heard enough complaints about distortion on the 11r to be dissuaded, unless I were to go with the peavey 6505+ combo and a rack... Which I guess isn't outside of the realm of possibility.

For sure. Only issue is I'm such a stock djent kid... Only amp that really, really works for me(In my price range) is that 6505+ combo... And the clean channel on it is not my thing... Still an okay sound, and I'm sure it could sound good with a few pedals and maybe a clean boost, but it's quite a bit more money at that point.

Honestly, I'm thinking I'll get the pod, and just add to that over time... Pedals make good Christmas presents. :toothy10:

What complaints are you talking about on the 11R distortion? Which amp models? The Plexi and 800 tones I've heard all sounded incredible.

I prefer the tight musical graininess of the 800 to the fizzy blatty about explode plexi sound (Although it works well on AC DC's COD). But I thought they captured even the aspects I don't care for really well.

Looking more and more like I'll just be diving right in with an axe fx standard/ultra. I recently priced out my drums and altogether I could get around $1000 parting out my kit. For something that I've wanted for so long, the axe fx is just too tempting.

I just came to the conclusion that anything less than the axe would be a pretty obvious compromise... And the axe will be perfect for my home recording needs.

So, not quite ready to sell all my crap, but I think over the next few months I'll be on my way to picking up my "dream amp".

Back