Humbucker choices for carved top telecaster

petriw

This is my first post. Looking for recommends on dual humbuckers in a carved top t-type project. Guitar has a Gibson scale conversion neck. Thanks for your input.

That depends on the music you like to play. Go on Youtube and start listening to demo videos for various pickups. Then you'll know more what they do and be better able to make your decision.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your posts.

I'll second what Rgand said - you'll have to listen to some examples. It's actually pretty tough to get a bad pickup these days - we enjoy an embarassment of riches in that field. The only thing I would caution you about it price. Don't use that as a comparison point. It really has little or nothing to do with how "good" they sound.

Huge fan of the GFS Memphis here. But if you don't know what HB to try the answer is almost always PAF. With few exceptions, 90% of everything on the market is subtle variations of that. Its like going to the paint store and picking up 200 color chips that are all various shades of green. Sure you got your invaders, stag mags, filtertron derivatives, but most everything else is a PAF variants.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Humbucker sized Filtertrons or TV Jones, or GFS Retrotron series Locke the Memphis, Nashville, or Liverpool!
Now you're talking. I'm thinking of the Nashville Retrotrons on my next build.

Here's a very good comparison of Burstbucker Pro and Dimarzio EJ Custom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QEkI1OHews

There are too many humbucker pickups out there to count. What's your budget? What music do you play? What amp/s do you have?

Steve_Karl said:
Here's a very good comparison of Burstbucker Pro and Dimarzio EJ Custom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QEkI1OHews

Excellent video. Two things become very obvious when watching and listening to this. One is that the wood of the guitar is pretty unrelevant to the sound. Two is that the more gain you've got going, the less difference does the pickups have.

Back