How rustic is too rustic?

mgaut051

Guy in town just put "indonesian" mahogany up for $2 for ea 5"x3"x24" piece - reasonable price.

This is what is looks like
2960dnc_20.jpeg

Now the 5x3 seems to be the 2 piles on the left.

I see a lot of boxed hearts and a lot of cracks.

How rustic is too rustic - I could make tele bodies out of this, I could fill or stabilise the cracks...

Are boxed hearts too unstable?

Am I wasting my time?

Can I pass up this ludicrously low priced wood?

Thanks for your 0.02$.

Martin

From one Folger's coffee drinkin' man to another, if it's somethin you don't want to do then maybe it IS a waste of your time.
Betcha can't make a hollowbody out those pieces!

:toothy10:
-DC

I wouldn't use it for a neck, but I'd use it for bodies.  It's probably warped and cracked all it's gonna, so once you get rid of the messed up stuff, what's left is fine.  With all the waste you'd have, it might not be worth the bargain though.  I don't think "Indonesian Mahogany" is even a true Mahogany.

Whoa! Stopped getting notifications... booooo.

Thanks for the replies guys.
1. Did bother with it. Bought an even dozen (should be enough for 4 bodies) for 20$. The color is fabulous, and the grain is nice and iridescent. At that price, a little experimentation is not out of the question.
2. I drink coffee by the bargeload, but I don't drink Folgers. I'm a foodie, and by extension a coffee snob - I enjoy my colombian fresh ground, love my Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and go absolutely bananas for some Kona. I'm not planning on making a hollowbody - prolly a couple teles (an esquire and a T-bird tele), a strat and an SG. Or something. The wood will need some crack stabilised and filled, and some holes plugged (and some bolt tips extracted!), but all for cheap experimentation's sake.
3. I still haven't worked up the nerve to try my hand a making a neck yet. Anyways - one part of it should come from W, right? Indonesian Mahogany is NOT a mahogany: http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/mahogany,%20philippine.htm but even then, the guy who sold me the wood changed his line to indonesian oak - which is prolly just as bad. But he did tell me the wood came from pallets.

Made a really gross mockup of the planned esquire. I'll try to make an acoustasonic style bridge out of cocobolo I have...

5942028956_583284b02b_m.jpg

Edit: wrong link...

Cleans up nice. Red and coarse. A lot of color and grain variation though - might get tough to match AND hide knots in pickup cavities etc. At 5$ per body though, not such a big deal.
6022592506_c556e2005c.jpg

That looks really good! I would not try to hide anything, rather let the character of the wood come through visually with whatever finish I went with.

Topic will continue here:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17269.new#new

6083967829_1d547417d3_z.jpg

Not bad for 6$ worth of pallet wood!
:glasses9:

Gomer said:
Topic will continue here:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17269.new#new

6083967829_1d547417d3_z.jpg

Not bad for 6$ worth of pallet wood!
:glasses9:
:kewlpics:  :icon_thumright: :headbang: