Practice Build

patracles

While waiting for my first Warmoth parts to show up I decided to take my first guitar and make it as nice as I could to be my son's first guitar.
(Build thread for new guitar using Warmoth parts is here) - https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33185.0

This really helped me to build confidence with a lot of these skillsets so I figured it might be cool to share. The guitar is a $200 Samick that I thought looked cool when my parents took me to the music shop 20 years ago, and I love it. I learned to play on this thing. Going into the project I knew I wanted to use as much of the original equipment as possible, but improve wherever possible:

Factory heel pocket - woof.
75h5aEXh.jpg

Factory wiring (minus the 2-conductor)
8hH02eYh.jpg

Blocked the trem with oak shims that I shaped to fit
NzyPEOph.jpg

Leveled the heel pocket and filled gaps with wood-density epoxy
CD24UjOh.jpg

Using a method discovered on Youtube, straightened the neck with a heating pad (pardon the work surface)
sO7VoEUh.jpg

Cut a one-ply pickguard to clean up the empty spaces
rIrOE48h.jpg

Added a push-pull pot to split the Gibson 498t...
kwTHEDWh.jpg

...Which required converting the pickup into a four-conductor
lweQ6Njh.jpg

Final product... the "SamSick" (it has six strings now thankfully so don't worry too much)
DMx8DT2.jpg

This thing now plays pretty much perfectly other than a couple nicks in the frets. It acoustically rings out and sustains much better, and the tone is pretty mean (498t is measuring out at 13.4k output/resistance). I also swapped to a GraphTech nut which isn't pictured but seemed like a no-brainer, as well as a new mono jack and push-back wiring.

But oak is not an officially sanctioned tone wood! Tone police!!!

Kidding. Nice job.

swarfrat said:
But oak is not an officially sanctioned tone wood! Tone police!!!

Kidding. Nice job.

You know, I've kinda always wondered why (besides the weight) oak isn't seen in the custom guitar world. I wonder if you could get away with an oak top on a really lightweight body paired with a lightweight neck, it would still probably be lighter than some les pauls out there.

Because it's domestic. In the nineties, a man I knew helped build a church in Africa (which sadly has almost certainly been destroyed by now). He had pictures of them using 2" thick slabs of mahogany 16ft long as CONCRETE FORMS.  Because it was local, available and cheap.

It’s heavy, it’s really hard on tools, it’s quite involved to finish as the pores are deep and prone to tear out and it can also be unstable. The first one puts customers off, the rest I’d expect is enough to stop a builder offering it even if it somehow sounded amazing

Back