How much do you practice?

stubhead

Master Member
I know that there are a lot of reasons to make Warmoth guitars, and a lot of people here are more into the woodworking and craftyness of it all and don't really play in bands for money or anything. That's fine, but I'm wondering how many/who are playing a lot too.

For me, I'm up to about six hours a day between the guitars, fretless bass and pedal steel. I'm trying to get some new songs together to spout on a newly re-formed band, for possible summer gigs. I also work on pure technical exercises too, there sure is a lot to learn. I can find work on the bass if it would ever start playing in tune, Warmoth forgot the damn frets.  :icon_scratch: I actually had to make a list of new songs to track down, it's been so long since I listened to the radio even my Britney Spears licks are suffering. :sad1:

I don't practice nearly enough and since I've been deployed I haven't practiced at all.

Took an extended break from playing to finish college.  There just wasn't enough time in the day for work, wife, kids, school, scouts, etc... 

But from Oct to Dec I had started playing again partly to practice and partly to teach my son to play.  Was playing about an hour a day.

Would like to get back in a band, more for fun then for active gigging.

stubhead said:
...even my Britney Spears licks are suffering...

There are sooo many creative ways to misunderstand that sentence  :icon_biggrin:

But to answer your question: not nearly enough. I have band practice once every week for an upcoming sort-of musical (part of the Swedish spex tradition) where I'm also the bandleader and musical director - apart from full time studies, final semester. I also had until recently various student representative activities, but those are over now, thankfully.
I'm going to feel like a complete idiot tomorrow because I don't know half of the songs half as good as I should, but there may be more free time for practising arriving shortly. No six hours a day, but maybe three or four. For the last month I've felt lucky when I've had time to pick up the guitar at all. Ugh.

2-3 hours a day, mostly at night after the kids are in bed. Rehearse once or twice a week, gig also once or twice a week.

2-3 hours a day, and it's not all in one sitting.

Wife goes grocery shopping, I'm playen

wife goes to get hair done, playen

wife goes to get fingernails done

wife in bathtub

anytime the wife is gone.

then while the wife is here, during comercial breaks on TV

I think about 1 hour/day more on weekend and about 2/3 hours when practice with my band, after that my wife begin screaming  :toothy12:

I get in maybe 3/4 hours a day when i get home from school, then pull out maybe 5/6 hours on the weekends. all the rest of my time i spend on here or looking up ways to mod my guitars  :toothy10:

do i need a life?  :help:

Alfang said:

wife in bathtub

:icon_thumright: that's funny, mainly because that's how I am. Don't like a lot of distractions, plus I can practice on the drums too ...

DangerousR6 said:
Alfang said:

wife in bathtub

:icon_thumright: that's funny, mainly because that's how I am. Don't like a lot of distractions, plus I can practice on the drums too ...

Dangerous....You dont have time to practice.  You should be busy making all of our neckplates.    :icon_thumright:

jimh said:
DangerousR6 said:
Alfang said:

wife in bathtub

Dangerous....You dont have time to practice.  You should be busy making all of our neckplates.    :icon_thumright:

:laughing3:

I am not a really regimen-oriented practicer, but I would say I have a guitar in my hands for probably about 2 hours per day, on days when I don't practice with the band.  My current band practices twice a week for probably three hours or so.  I have actually made a ritual of getting up one hour before I have to get the kids ready for school, for the purpose of playing guitar.  This is mainly when I learn new songs, or practice new techniques.  I like to show my kids that it is work to be able to play an instrument, that it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, there is always a need to "keep up the chops", so later in the day when they are playing, or doing their kid thing, I will pick it up some more and play.  If only I could get rid of this damn working crap, then I'd just play guitar all day! 

It's hard to fit practice time in with the kids.  I play in a couple of bands and practice about once a week for each.  i'd like to do more at home and get back to writing songs again once the kids are in school.  my VS2400CD is just sitting on the desk collecting dust.

Wow.... I feel totally lame saying this... But about 6 hours or so a day....

And it's about to become a lot more with school at MI starting in April.. probably close to 10-12

I think I'm going to walk away with my dumb feelings now lol

JamesL said:
Wow.... I feel totally lame saying this... But about 6 hours or so a day....

And it's about to become a lot more with school at MI starting in April.. probably close to 10-12

I think I'm going to walk away with my dumb feelings now lol

Nothing dumb about 6 hours a day, I was there...in my youth, in my youth...
I will say that 12 hours a day seems unrealistic.

Back