Hollow Swamp Ash J-Bass II - Newer FINISHED pics! (page 4)

I orederd a new neck for this bad boy last week.  I like the feel of the Wenge, but the idea of this as a near identically sounding backup for the Tobacco Burst J just isn't working out, so it's not getting played as much.  The new neck will be Birdseye Maple and Pao Ferro fretboard.  It's also getting the binding and blocked treatment.  Reverse headstock?  You know it.  The plan is to keep the Wenge neck for another project with a different approach to the sound.  I'm thinking Darkstar pickups and an all passive EQ.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
The plan is to keep the Wenge neck for another project

Flying V bass? Kidding :icon_biggrin:

I think that birdseye / pau ferro neck will look really good on there.

The new neck arrived this evening.  For lack of decent photography friendly lighting, I'll take sunny pics tomorrow.  To my surprise, for the 1st time, no quantum view email.  Coincidentally checking that check card balance told me to be watching.  As I understand it, that's a UPS thing and not Warmoth thing.  Also, I think  I got lucky, then again, I'm not the antsy type, this thing came on a Friday!  It seems when all one does is watch the quantum view thing, it sits in the distribution center a few miles away for a whole weekend taunting only to be delivered on a Monday. 

This neck is number 8 as far as necks and bodies and ordering go and the first time I'd ever called to check the status on one.  I didn't remember the exact order date but late March sounded right, so right in that 8 to 10 week window.  I must say also, this neck is exactly how I pictured it.  Often times you'll read, "It's more beautiful than I imagined" or "The pics don't do it justice."  The Vintage tint is dead on.  I spec'd Birdseye Maple and not 3A or 5A, and it has the right amount of figuring and bird's eyes for what i wanted.  Never having had anything Pao Ferro before, the grain pattern and streaking is identical to how I pictured it.  It's like I'd seen it before!  It couldn't look anymore how I wanted to if I had picked it out in person.

In time, not finished yet.  I'm doing a rewire on the bass as well.  What's great about that though, unlike a Strat or pickguarded P-Bass, you can leave the strings on when re-wiring.

Fair enough, and agreed about the convenience of being able to leave the strings on.

Super Nigerian Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
The plan is to keep the Wenge neck for another project with a different approach to the sound.  I'm thinking Darkstar pickups and an all passive EQ.
That plus a BK body sounds terrific - would you be inclined to stay in the Jazz Body family or try something new?

Seriously sweet bass!!!!  I have an orange Stingray that kills...orange basses seem to have better tone.

Alright, not finished but a teaser.  You can't see that it's not in tune or the nut is high.  I took a little bit of relief out before bolting on the neck.  Gonna do some nut filing tonight and probably mount the illegal headstock decal.

P1160878.jpg

Quite possibly one of the few times a reversed headstock looks good!

Logo isn't illegal, I know that we go 'round on this a bit, and I'll leave it at that.

Nice looking bass!

Thanks.  The legality of it aside, I don't think the logo font is era-accurate, atleast with jiving with block inlays.  Then again, 21 frets, a string thru bridge, 9v batteries, and a logo for a brand it's not, 3/8" tuners, poly finish, who needs accuracy?

**********UPDATE**********

I had to take this one in for a fret level.  I know, I know, Warmoth just installs the frets.  I'd been so lucky with others I guess I got spoiled.  After my usual setup of nut filing, truss rod adjusting, and saddle height setting, the action was still higher than I prefer and the hang up was on the G string from frets 13 on up.  I took it to a new shop that has a guy that supposedly does great setups.  He took one look at my setup and said, "You want it lower?"  For comparison I had the other one with me.  I said make it like this one.  He did the usual brain picking of what factory settings did I want, to which my reply was, "as low it will go without buzzing."  Long story short, he did a fret level and at one time told me my neck was defective and wanted to shim it to compensate.  Pass!  Anywho, he did a great fret level and I've got it playable like my other one whose action got that the bass the name "The 4th set."  You know, fingers getting tired or slurred like my speech at that point anyway.

He did however have to order a new pickguard.  In the process of cleaning up after himself, he likes to polish the pickguard.  I nearly shat myself when I heard polish because the body and neck are both Satin finished, but he just did the pickguard.  For whatever reason, whatever he was using was not cooperative with the celluloid Tortoise and it left it hazy and would not buff out.  He was going to replace it with one in the shop, but low and behold, Fender and Warmoth's holes differ on the J Bass pickguard.  I insisted that it was out of the question that a fret level should equate to new holes being drilled in the body.  So, for a $40 fret level, it cost him $35 plus shipping for a pickguard.  But hey, got a sticker and a story.

Oh, and be on the lookout for a YouTube video of burning celluloid Tortoise guard.  We're gonna see how flammable that stuff is.

Back