hole in the middle of neck pocket (to be precise)

vtpcnk

what is this hole in the middle of the neck pocket?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Stratocaster-ROBERT-CRAY-Strat-HARDTAIL-BODY_W0QQitemZ190313637396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2c4f93a614&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

would it take a regular warmoth neck? or in anyway affect it?

That's the secret Robert Cray model "tone chamber", shouldn't affect Warmoth neck mounting in any way

Well, its not for a micro tilt, so most likely, this is where you can plant the tone worms before you screw on the neck.

if it was, there would be a small hole on the other side of the body, underneath (and in) the neck plate.

Very odd  :dontknow:
I have a Robert Cray strat that I got from these same people and I don't have one.
Good thing is they are not charging extra... It's a free feature  :hello2:

Just a shot in the dark here-maybe a drill out to accomodate some sort of clamp for the machining process?

It may have been that the body started out being set up as a '70's Closet Classic with micro-tilt, but wound up being used for a Robert Cray model

If it were an unfinished micro-tilt, I think it would be closer to body.  Almost between the neck bolts closest to the body, instead of centered between all four.  I have an MIJ 4-neck bolt neck Strat with microtilt, but most microtilts I've seen have been 3-bolt.  I think it's something to do with a reference point for the CNC.  I could only guess why it isn't on other models.  Maybe different reference points for non-trem models.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I could only guess why it isn't on other models.  Maybe different reference points for non-trem models.

I don't have this hole on my Robert Cray strat...  :icon_scratch:

I have a Squier body with a hole like that that goes clean through.  Dunno what the deal is either :dontknow:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I believe there were 2 Cray models made at different times.  An MIM and CIJ model.

Yes there were 2 cray models; one MIM and one custom shop.
I have the MIM model...
:rock-on:

vtpcnk said:
>Well, its not for a micro tilt,

how do you say that?
If it were a microtilt it would be closer to the butt end.  That hole is dead center of all four neck screws.

I'm inclined to agree its for some CNC, like the ones you sometimes find under the pickguard.

Don't some Fenders have a hole in the neck pocket that was used to hang the body for paint spraying?

I'm sure I read that somewhere!

It's definitely a manufacture's assist, either for painting or on the CNC.
My Strat has it, and it really makes no difference in sound or structure at all.
Go for it.
Cheers

Back