Help on V build wood choice

Mark W

I am intending to build a V for my 14 yr. old son.
He plays hard rock and metal mostly so I am looking at one of those Bill Lawrence rails in the bridge and I don't know what in the neck.

I suppose I'll go with a Floyd tremelo system.

Question is what type of wood to use in the body and neck.
I am totally ignorant of this model of guitar and they seem to be made of several different types of wood depending on the manufacturer and model.

I was looking at the web site and they have a real nice piece of Swamp Ash, but again, I do not know how that would be or what neck wood to put with it.

Any suggestions would be great

I'd say get a nice PAF style in the neck, can't go wrong there - Seymour Duncan 59 or similar.
Mahogany or Black Korina would be the classic woods for both body and neck, can't go wrong with them. If you choose something else, do it for mainly cosmetic reasons. Rosewood or brazilian rosewood for the fretboard, alternatively pao ferro or ebony. For something really unique, Wenge makes a great neck wood.

Sounds like Mahogany body and neck, probably ebony fretboard

It's going to be painted with some sort of design, so I don't need a fancy top.

Basswood or Alder body with fancy top
Wenge/Ebony Neck!!!

Won't get any better for Metal!! :)

for metal, Mahogany/Mahogany may get a little muddy

Great.  It may never be an issue, but the probabilty is greater on the softer, lighter wood, kind of like Warmoth's finish policy on maple necks.  They may never warp without one, but the chances are greater.  I've got a basswood Tele, and you can't look at it without it getting a deep ding or scratch because it's so soft.  Vai's EVOs are a fine example.  His most used ones are being held together by a one helluva guitar tech.  Besides, the more guitars you have, the less each one is used.  This will probably be this kid's primary guitar.

I don't think Basswood is an option.
He plays a lot and he is pretty hard on his guitar now.

Maybe I could go with Korina body and neck. Ebony fretboard. Pretty indestructible.
Would that be muddy at all?

I have a basswood soloist body with a full birdseye neck. floyd rose and emg 81 in the bridge only and it is very metal/shred. sounds decent clean as well tho. from what I have read on here basswood/maple makes for a good combo for metal.

I take ultra good care of my guitars so cant say much about basswood for dings and bumps. im crazy about this.

ohhh. and go single Hum...cant get more metal than that!

Marko said:
Basswood or Alder body with fancy top
Wenge/Ebony Neck!!!

Won't get any better for Metal!! :)

for metal, Mahogany/Mahogany may get a little muddy

Dimebag played Mahoganys!

Metal/Hard Rock?  I would go Mahog on mahog with a ebony fretboard no dressing.  You want to give your son a real treat put an invader in the bridge and stick that Bill Lawerence in the neck.  I don't know how I feel about Floyd's on Vs,  My friend has a floyd on all of his guitars but the Kahler seems to almost lend itself to the V. 

Muddiness will take care of itself with the right pickups and amp selection, and ESPECIALLY since we're talking high-gain sounds and a Floyd, body wood is not going to be a real factor in the sound (I know some here will disagree), just the looks and weight.
Since you say he plays hard rock and metal, I'd get a metal pickup for the bridge (these guys all know metal pups better than I) and a classic PAF sound in the neck.

Max said:
The L-500 is good for keeping mud away, isn't it?

YES! If you think to dial in the tone and volume pots, instead of just cranking both up to 11.

I'd think that Korina body and neck and ebony board would be great for alively instrument, go for mahogany instead of korina for a slightly darker sound. What scale neck? 24.75 or 25.5?

Mahogany/Mahogany (warm and full for modern metal, think Les Paul tone) or Korina/Korina (full midrange tone) with Ebony board, EMG 81/85 pups. Your son will love it so much he might even cut the grass, weed the beds and paint the house without being asked!!!  :headbang1:

Death by Uberschall said:
Your son will love it so much he might even cut the grass, weed the beds and paint the house without being asked!!!  :headbang1:
Well, that.. or, the son will be too busy playing guitar to do any of those.

(Guilty)

Back