Heart attack waiting to happen!

Tonar8352

JaySwear sent me his Les Paul to finish and this thing may be a heart attack waiting to happen.  He decided he liked the yellow I used on Black Dogs Cherry Bomb and since I still have some of that stain left it was ready to go.  This is a crazy piece of wood; it looks different from every angle!
The infamous Cherry Bomb Stain.
IMG_8606.jpg

Just stained.
IMG_8607.jpg

Dry and ready for the binding to be scraped.
IMG_8615.jpg

Incredible stainjob bro.
I have a Heritage LP that could be an identical twin to the LP you finished.
I will have to upload some pics of my "Beer Salmon" LP  :cool01:

That is one sweeeet top  :glasses9: and you know I love that yellow.
What is going on with the back???
Great body and I can't wait to see her finished.  Another Tonar beauty on the way  :evil4:

The back is going to be natural black Korina. I'll get a picture of it after I get a wash coat on it. First I have to scrape the binding on the top and then wash coat the whole body, after that I can start filling the BK.

I LOVE IT!

I was so torn between going with a natural color and a Gibson Vintage Sunburst. This has me 100% convinced I made the right decision!

Black Dog said:
That is one sweeeet top  :glasses9: and you know I love that yellow.
What is going on with the back???
Great body and I can't wait to see her finished.  Another Tonar beauty on the way  :evil4:

Thanks for sharing a little bit of the Cherry Bomb magic stain :icon_biggrin:

Very nice color Tonar!!  :icon_thumright:
Can I ask what wash you recommend before the fill on the Korina?

Thank you all for your kind words, I love this place.

Can I ask what wash you recommend before the fill on the Korina?

The wash coat will be a heavily thinned coat of clear lacquer. I usually thin it with almost equal parts of thinner to finish so it really soaks in deeply and seals the open gain to prepare it for filler. I do not do this on every piece of wood because in some cases I want the filler to impact the color of the wood. In those cases I will thin the fist coat of filler heavily and let it color the wood.  I let that soak in for a week and then do a wash coat of clear before I do an un-thinned coat of filler.

Wow this looks amazing!

Tonar, will you do anything special for when your spraying concerning the fact that the studs are already pressed in?

Tonar, will you do anything special for when your spraying concerning the fact that the studs are already pressed in?

Yes I will not use foul language!  :laughing11: :laughing11:

Actually I'll tape over them.

Back