Hear Warmoths; See a Forum Member Vent His Spleen

Too funny.

I sure hope you ex-pats are getting something good in exchange for your moves; the best entertainment extant is here in the States. We don't have to watch movies like that. The lowest quality stuff you can get is generally only available on the major networks, and it's better than what you describe. The other 985 channels beat the hell out them, even when it's just infomercials, shopping channels and Jesus-based beggars.

Since it doesn't sound believable, there is crappy CGI, and the story is more, or quite possibly less, than what a bored thirteen year old could come up with, <breathe> I think that the Sci Fi network will be green lighting it for Saturday afternoons before the summer is out.  Direct competition for Dinocroc vs Supergator 2.
Patrick

This is a particularly bad China movie. China _can_ make some good films, though I don't watch many of them in general. The last one I remember seeing is THE EQUATION OF LOVE AND DEATH.

This one is notable only because of the amount of $ and talent that were wasted on it. Andy Lau is the biggest Chinese movie star in the world.

Hong Kong can still make good films too, but the requirements to get into the 'China market' are so stringent that it essentially neuters the films: No bad cops, corrupt officials, drugs, gambling, gangsters, ghosts, good criminals, sex, vampires, or anything that China thinks will make it look bad.

Gee, that leaves... nothing. But some local movies that can't play in China have been really good, like VULGARIA.

South Korea makes some good films, but the third act usually degenerates into melodrama (it seems to be what the audience likes).

Japan probably makes the best movies in Asia, on both the technical and narrative levels. IF you can, watch DEPARTURES and CONFESSION. Well made, well-written, and extremely well-acted.

Even something as disposable as SAMURAI ZOMBIE has things to recommend it, though admittedly not much.

Musically speaking, Japan pwns the region.

Back