Have A Nice Day (Warmoth roasted maple neck)

wolbai

Hi all good guitar fellows,

I just finished this new vocal song in a "Funky-Philly-70s-80s-Pop-Disco"-style :icon_biggrin:

I recorded all vocals & instruments. The guitar tracks are played with my moded JTV69 with a Warmoth roasted maple neck (Wizard profile with stainless steel frets) on a Marshall JVM410.

It's the first since many years that I've played a bass guitar again. This new Marcus Miller V7 sounds promising so far.
I have to say that a real bass sounds and feels just more natural than recording the bass guitar with a midi-keyboard and a bass-plugin.

Hope you like it. Feedback is much appreciated :icon_thumright:

Link to Soundcloud:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/wolbai-music/have-a-nice-day[/soundcloud]

Link to YouTube:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbUJPlCYFo[/youtube]

wolbai

Outstanding Sir. Thank you for that, it took me back to some nice memories. Do I detect a little Motown influence in there? Keep up the good work!... :headbang: :headbang:

@PhilHill

Great feedback - thank you so much :)

Well, the song style reflects of course my musical socialization. Their roots are clearly in the 70s & 80s. And I see some Mowtown/Soul vibe there too.

So I stand corrected: It is a "Funky-Mowtown-Philly-70s-80s-Pop-Disco" song style  :icon_biggrin:

That's great ... and Have a Nice Day! Seriously ... you got skills.

That's excellent! Easy to follow. A pleasant listening experience. :icon_thumright:

@rick2 : Great feedback too - you make my day  :icon_thumright:

This "One-Man-Show Home Recording" - thing can be a monster challenge, especially when you are starting to go into details which happens quite naturally along the personal learning curve over the years.

And feedbacks like yours help me to stay motivated in publishing my songs in the virtual world :)

@Rgand: Thank you for your feedback regarding the "easy listening and flow feel"  :)

I take it not as an indicator that I should have also added an "elevator music" song style flavor in the description  :icon_biggrin:
It tells me that the song has a good and balanced overall construction.

All the best and stay healthy :icon_thumright:

babawowo said:
I take it not as an indicator that I should have also added an "elevator music" song style flavor in the description  :icon_biggrin:
It tells me that the song has a good and balanced overall construction.
A hearty yes to the above. I was hesitant to say 'balanced' because I said that on the last one of yours I listened to and didn't want to just have a reply that sounds like I cut and pasted it from the one before. But that does say it.

@Zebra : Thanks for your feedback and for the hint to the 8 bar guitar solo :icon_thumright:

As a guitar player we all tend to love and play these epic 2 1/2 minutes guitar solos. That is fun. I know :icon_jokercolor:

Over the years I found "mini solos" sometimes more challenging than the longer ones:
You have to force yourself to "say or tell something in essence" in a very short period of time and in an appropriate manner.
These "mini- solos" has to be even more well thought and constructed (rarely improvised), because every note counts.
And they also have the tendency being more melodical - pretty much vocal like.

That is why I can recommend to any intermediate guitar player who likes to improve his guitar solo skills, to start to work on "mini-solos". A good solo is pretty much like telling an interesting story to the listener in a musical way.

babawowo said:
@Zebra : Thanks for your feedback and for the hint to the 8 bar guitar solo :icon_thumright:

As a guitar player we all tend to love and play these epic 2 1/2 minutes guitar solos. That is fun. I know :icon_jokercolor:

Over the years I found "mini solos" sometimes more challenging than the longer ones:
You have to force yourself to "say or tell something in essence" in a very short period of time and in an appropriate manner.
These "mini- solos" has to be even more well thought and constructed (rarely improvised), because every note counts.
And they also have the tendency being more melodical - pretty much vocal like.

That is why I can recommend to any intermediate guitar player who likes to improve his guitar solo skills, to start to work on "mini-solos". A good solo is pretty much like telling an interesting story to the listener in a musical way.

Absolutely!  As guitarists, be have a lot to learn from the young George Harrison.  Johnny Marr of the Smiths takes pride that he only ever recording a single guitar solo in their whole catalogue - the rest was what he called "guitar breaks" - just a few measures, but composed for maximum impact.  I'd also like to add, though, that the lead-up to a solo can make a huge difference as well - some song-writers really know how to frame a "mini-solo" up for success by using the last couple of bars before it like some sort of a sling-shot or diving board.

Thanks again for making my Friday afternoon!

Like this.  Very smooth.  Can picture myself cruising down by the beach.  Reminds me of a modern version of something from the 80's somewhere in the not too distant neighborhood of Roxxy Music.

I like your vocals.  Your voice has some inflections that I like.  Also, in the chorus like the balance of the vocals for the backrounds.  I hear so many trax where the backrounds are too hot.  This has a great blend / balance.

What are you using for drums?

Nice job!

@rauchmann : very nice feedback - Thank you!

I can't pretend: musically I am a 70s/80s child :)

Thanks for your feedback on my vocals too. That strengthens my self-confidence in my voice which I'm sometimes struggling to accept. There are several backvocals in the chorus part to make them shine. It is not only the harmonies of the backvocals and the EQ-ing, it is also a proper panning. I always try to leave some panning space by the other instruments for the vocals so they cut through.

I use Toontrack EZ Drummer 2 for the drum parts.

babawowo said:
@rauchmann : very nice feedback - Thank you!

I can't pretend: musically I am a 70s/80s child :)

Thanks for your feedback on my vocals too. That strengthens my self-confidence in my voice which I'm sometimes struggling to accept. There are several backvocals in the chorus part to make them shine. It is not only the harmonies of the backvocals and the EQ-ing, it is also a proper panning. I always try to leave some panning space by the other instruments for the vocals so they cut through.

I use Toontrack EZ Drummer 2 for the drum parts.

The thing I like about your voice is that is has a unique character that is not trampled on by trying to over technique execution.  Another way of saying it is, I hear so many singers that all they worry about is getting a proper vibrato, or over execute technique....kind of like overplaying a guitar part with a bazillion notes.  You have a nice balance of letting the melodies breath, but more importantly, what you're executing is....you.  You don't sound like you're trying to copy a style, you sound like "you".  And, it's fantastic.

Totally agree about using panning, volume levels and EQ to make each layer pop a little.

Again, really nice job.

Truly nicely done. The ensemble work is great, and the guitar solo had both great tone and note choice. The genre is not really my thing, but you made it shine.

@Tyrannocaster :

Thanks for your favourable feedback - I appreciate a lot  :icon_thumright:

I've tried various guitar sounds for the mini-solo. That cleanish-crunchy and slightly singing tone, played with a Stratlike-guitar on the neck pickup sounded best to my ears.

Back