Headstock Logos on New Builds

Whose Logo Do You Put On Your Warmoth Builds?

• Total voters
Schlieren said:
the omission of something which seems like maybe it ought to be there in itself demonstrates
the intent behind its absence is how i see it at least :)

I just see it as a some sort of a protest against Fender quality or a big corporation.
But this type of bad publicity is still a publicity... IMHO.  :laughing7:

Hey just a little off topic question: If I put the Warmoth logo on my Strat headstock, do I need to apply some kind of clear over it or can I just leave it as it is?

exaN said:
Hey just a little off topic question: If I put the Warmoth logo on my Strat headstock, do I need to apply some kind of clear over it or can I just leave it as it is?

Clear decals look ridiculous if they aren't done under the finish, IMO.
I always laugh if I can see the edges of the clear decal material. It just looks bad.
:dontknow:

exaN said:

I've done it both ways.  For what it's worth, the early Fender decals were just put on with no finish on top - that's why they tend to chip off!  :headbang:

SustainerPlayer said:
99% of "average Joe's" wouldn't know what brand a guitar is just from looking at it - without seeing a name on the headstock. It is only us nerds - guitarist - and some musicians that cares about such trivialities.

And a lot of newbies can't tell the difference from a Warmoth strat to a Fender strat - without the logo on the headstock.

+1

The more interesting question to me is if, over a long period of time, all the people putting bogus Fender logos on cheap knockoff instruments (i.e. the much more common, polar opposites of Warmoths), will make having "Fender" on the headstock undesirable, particularly if it's obviously not a "real" Fender.

I've always seen the Warmoth guitar I built as a tribute to the Stratocaster as originally made by Fender. Not the strat-ish S-model copycaster, but the Fender Stratocaster, which is why I put a "Fender Stratocaster" decal on it.

It's really hard to find a better argument than "It completes the look" when I see no reason why a guy can't do whatever he wants to his custom guitar.

Supposing I died, got robbed, or fell on hard times and had to sell the guitar (forgetting that I had put it together) there are enough differences between my Warmoth and a genuine Fender for someone who's been to a guitar store (not just a guitar nerd) to tell what it is. Besides the side truss rod adjuster, the fretboards on Warmoth necks are cut a lot thicker than on Fenders (new or old). And you wouldn't have to be a remarkably keen observer to spot the neck's hard U shaped heel, which is not what Fender typically does there (in any of their series). And if you were still in doubt, just pop the neck off. Warmoth and the other reputable Fender-licensed builders brand their parts as such.

If I build a new VIP or something with a 3+3 Warmoth headstock, I'm putting one of those metallic Warmoth logos down the middle like on a PRS, and if I build a Mustang or Tele it's getting a Fender decal.

bigguspickus said:
It's really hard to find a better argument than "It completes the look" when I see no reason why a guy can't do whatever he wants to his custom guitar.

You might want to Google or Wiki "Registered Trademark" and you'll find out.

It's only an issue if it's sold.  The individual owner may do with it whatever they want.  Anyone remember the guy that made Rickenbacker copies?  He was free to do so as long as he didn't sell them or give them away.  No distribution, no issue.

Built by Chris Derrig: http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/59-les-paul-replica-built-by-chris-derrig/

Gibson's Custom Shop makes a reproduction of it.

How sad is that?

Fender puts their logo on cell phones... I don't have a problem putting it on a guitar.

thumb_450_Fender-myTouch-3G.PNG

I put a Warmoth logo on my first build.  It was the one thing that I did on that build that I didn't like.  Not because it looks bad, or I don't want people knowing it is a Warmoth, just because I don't think I did a good job of putting it on there.  My second Warmoth, well, the Goncalo has such beautiful striping on the headstock, I never would have even thought of putting something over it.  As far as what others do....well, I just can't bring myself to care.  If I were to ever consider buying a guitar that I thought was a Fender (which I don't ever see myself doing ever again)  I can do my homework and figure out if it is genuine or not, it's not that hard....

bigguspickus said:
Fender puts their logo on cell phones... I don't have a problem putting it on a guitar.

It's their logo, they have a business agreement to do that.

You don't.

bigguspickus said:
Twelvebar said:
bigguspickus said:

It's their logo, they have a business agreement to do that.

You don't.

You're right, they don't have my business.

+1

And really, lets be honest here. Fender 'quality' is an oxymoron. Anyone putting a Fender decal on a Warmoth guitar is giving Fender undeserved credit for a superior instrument (assumuing of course, they have clue and didn't butcher the build, even then it would probably be on-par with your average MIM Fender). And that includes 'Custom Shop' and 'Masterbuilt' Fender's as well.

Someday I'll have a Warmoth carved top LPS style guitar in Lake Placid blue with a pearloid star set into the headstock where the logo goes.  I'm sure they'd do that for me if I paid a little extra.

Sinistar said:
Someday I'll have a Warmoth carved top LPS style guitar in Lake Placid blue with a pearloid star set into the headstock where the logo goes.  I'm sure they'd do that for me if I paid a little extra.

i don't think they would :dontknow: but it's definitely worth asking. i know of a couple places that would though. but warmoth seems pretty picky about the true "custom" work they do. i had the same idea a while back and contacted http://www.sharkinlay.com/ about it. seemed like it was the best way to go, but i decided not to for money reasons.

if the fender decal were a trademarked item they (fmic) would put a stop to other people selling decal replicas. if i wanted to make a repro of an era (19060's or 1950's) guitar i would put the fender logo on. but if i were to do a super strat i would do my own logo on it.

Back