Headstock Logos on New Builds

Whose Logo Do You Put On Your Warmoth Builds?

• Total voters
No label looks blank and really annoys me. A reputable company would put a logo on there so no label just looks cheap to me. Doesn't matter what label so long as there's a label.

NLD09 said:
No label looks blank and really annoys me. A reputable company would put a logo on there so no label just looks cheap to me. Doesn't matter what label so long as there's a label.
considering im a seven-dollar guitar player with a three thousand dollar instrument, im perfectly fine with it looking cheap :)

i know what you mean about it looking blank though but its like anything, if there were more guitars without a label, it wouldnt look as if it were missing anything

i said this in another thread, but here it is again. i think a 6-in-line headstock looks very very strange without a logo. a 3-by-3 headstock looks just fine without. actually it might be strange to try to fit one on. at least on a warmoth headstock. on the gibson style it wouldn't look so strange to have some sort of logo there, but still looks just fine without one. i'll be putting a logo on my tele deluxe, but not on my strat with the warmoth 3-by-3 headstock. at least for now, one day i might change my mind.

Everything does eventually get sold, either in the event of hard times, because of death, or theft.  However, as it's been said before, even a casual inspection by anyone who knows what they're looking at will never mistake a Warmoth for a Fender.  If that be the case, they're getting a bargain.  Warmoth quality at (used) Fender prices.  There are many giveaways.  Some body woods and finishes are not even available through the Fender Custom Shop.  If you have a Warmoth Pro neck, the side adjust is the giveaway.  If you have a Maple/Maple Warmoth Pro neck, the neck is 2 piece whereas the Fender Maple/Maple counterpart is 1 piece.  I had a guy make that remark about my Tele once, "Hmm.  A Maple fretboard glued to a Maple neck?"  A bigger conundrum for me is why anyone would have a problem a Fender logo, but not have a problem with a Fender licensed headstock shape on a non-Fender neck.  Same thing in my eyes.  The headstock shape is pretending to be something it's not.

Well, I feel the Fender logo completes it. If nothing else, it's a bit of a respectful tribute to the guys who did the real work on designing the guitar.

Lucky #007 said:
You sure Warmoth doesn't do one piece maple with a skunk stripe?

I know they do, but this scenario was a Maple/Maple Warmoth Pro.  The Vintage and Vintage Modern in Maple/Maple are indeed 1 piece with a Skunk Stripe.

Hi Folks

why lower the tone of a sweet custom made warmoth with a logo that has no real integrity since 1965 or so?

Quality needs no hiding place.

take care

great site by the way

John

seanmac said:
why lower the tone of a sweet custom made warmoth with a logo that has no real integrity since 1965 or so?

Very good point. But, there are a lot of people who don't know any better, and won't pay for a Warmoth the way they will for something better known. I've seen some fine instruments on eBay go for woefully little money simply because of a decal. But, a bog-standard production-line Fender that shouldn't have sold for $300 new will go for $1,500 simply because it's a Fender. It's enough to piss off a saint.

Incidentally, welcome to the site!

if somebody sells their warmoth i hope they get bupkus for it because why are you selling your warmoth

unless its to buy a new kidn--no.  why are you selling your warmoth.  you've got two kidneys

Well, if it started life as a Fender, I label it Fender.  If it's a Warmoth build, it goes label-less or with W logo.  People who get uptight about the logos can diaf, either way.  It's my money, it's my F- licensed parts, and anyone who tries to sell the guitar for anything other than what it is is a lameass.

-Mark

My halfmoth has the Warmoth decal on it. The body is still a Fender. I could've gone either way, but I'm proud to show it off for the highest quality part.
Not having a maple neck gives it away anyhow.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Everything does eventually get sold, either in the event of hard times, because of death, or theft. 

I'm gonna be buried with my guitar just to prove this statement wrong. Better yet, cremated with it.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
A bigger conundrum for me is why anyone would have a problem a Fender logo, but not have a problem with a Fender licensed headstock shape on a non-Fender neck.  Same thing in my eyes.  The headstock shape is pretending to be something it's not.

Alright, I'll be as clear as possible:

Fender is the name of a company that produces guitars. Warmoth is a different company, having no relation to Fender...
The presence of a Fender logo on a guitar that was not produced by Fender incorrectly conveys the information that the guitar was produced by Fender, as Fender's name is specifically stated along with their logo. The name/logo is present in the area of the guitar that is most commonly used to denote the manufacturer that produced the instrument.

The headstock shape found on Strats, Teles, Jazz/Precision basses, etc. originated from, and is most commonly associated with Fender, however, the shape of a headstock is usually not used to indicate the manufacturer of a guitar, and it does not specifically mention Fender, it only bears resemblance to a design created by Fender. No definitive indication of the manufacturer can be concluded from the shape of a headstock, though the shape of a headstock could lead to an assumption of what manufacturer might have produced the guitar.

The 1950 Mercury that my dad and I restored years ago had a Mercury logo on it - even though the guts of the car were replaced with modern non-ford running gear.  Why a Mercury logo?  Because it belonged there.

A buddy of mine built up a bike with an S&S motor and a custom frame and parts.  It has a HD logo on it.  Why?  because it belongs there.

Another buddy of mine built up a 40 ford using a custom ladder chassis, a fiberglass body, and a vintage 409 motor.  Not a single ford part is on it - except for the logo.  Why?  because it belongs there.

Would any of these vehicles be mistaken for the 'real' thing?  Maybe by your grandma, but she would not be buying it.  Anything wrong with doing this?  I don't think so.

And more on topic:

My W telecasters are label-less and will stay that way.

The Warmoth J-bass neck that went on my fender bird I put a fender logo on it - because it's a fender bird and the logo belongs there.

The 12 string has a fender XII logo on it because I think it looks cool - and it belongs there.

I would either put my own or maybe a Fender in some circumstance. But the Fender Logo would probably have something that notifies that it is not actually Fender like "Fender Licensed Design" or simply "This is NOT actually a Fender"

I'm currently a no-logo guy.  If I was to put one on it would either be my own or a Warmoth, since technically it really is a Warmoth guitar just assembled and setup by me.

As far as Fender, or other logos go.... I don't know..    If you're aiming for the relic, reproduction thing, that's cool.  You want a guitar that looks and plays like SRV's, then go for it.   

However I would never bring myself to putting a Fender logo on a regular Warmoth.  I mean, you wouldn't put a Honda logo on a Ferrari?  ;-)

line6man said:
Alright, I'll be as clear as possible:

Fender is the name of a company that produces guitars. Warmoth is a different company, having no relation to Fender...
The presence of a Fender logo on a guitar that was not produced by Fender incorrectly conveys the information that the guitar was produced by Fender, as Fender's name is specifically stated along with their logo. The name/logo is present in the area of the guitar that is most commonly used to denote the manufacturer that produced the instrument.

The headstock shape found on Strats, Teles, Jazz/Precision basses, etc. originated from, and is most commonly associated with Fender, however, the shape of a headstock is usually not used to indicate the manufacturer of a guitar, and it does not specifically mention Fender, it only bears resemblance to a design created by Fender. No definitive indication of the manufacturer can be concluded from the shape of a headstock, though the shape of a headstock could lead to an assumption of what manufacturer might have produced the guitar.

The headstock shape does denote the brand name so much so that's what the license states.  It's a Fender trademark.  The mere silhouette of the headstock is immediately recognizable as Fender.  If we get uber technical, those Indonesian, Korean, and Japanese Fenders are not made in a building owned by Fender, nor made by Fender employees.  It is a company given license to produce x amount of units to Fender specs and put a Fender logo them.  In other words, they are made by a Fender subcontractor.  In W's case, I bought parts built to Fender licensed specs and chose every detail, then I put a Fender logo on it.  What's the difference? 

Back