Head / cabinet recommendations

T89Rex

Hi all. I've recently found myself in the enviable and thoroughly unfamiliar territory of having money to burn so I thought what better way to celebrate a new Warmoth guitar than to buy a new amp to go with it.

I've got a mid-60s Super Reverb at home, which covers my clean tones very well. It's also, as you might imagine for a 40 W 4x10", loud as all hell. Since I won't be gigging too much in the next few years, I was thinking of adding a 2x12" (or even 1x12") cabinet to the family and looking for a low power head. With the Super Reverb sating my immediate Fender lust, I was thinking of something British style. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get the cranked JCM800 sound at bedroom levels but I'm realistic about my chances of actually finding that.

At the moment, I'm thinking about a cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s and something like an Orange Tiny Terror, but I'd love to hear some recommendations. I'd prefer to go valve; I love the smell of them. Is that a thing? I've also got my modelling needs covered with software. My guitar idols are folks like Tom Verlaine, Kevin Shields, Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo if that gives any idea of how I (attempt to) play. My budget is relatively flexible but obviously lower cost is always better.

Thanks!

Any AC30 style amp would be great with that.  The AC amps have very good touch response - marshalls feel very stiff in comparison.

The new Boss Katana amps are getting rave reviews all over the place. Even the cork-sniffers like them. Something like the KATANA-100 might be just the thing. Inexpensive, too. A 100W 112 is a lot more powerful than you're asking for, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. Modern amps aren't like the old stuff that only sounded good when you pushed them into suicide mode. You can get big sound at bedroom volumes. My rig is capable of 1,400 watts, but while it's rarely ever above conversational levels, it can still sound like a wall of Marshall stacks on 11.

No tube smell on the Katana, though. Just tube sound, which is arguably a Good Thing. Who needs all that weight and maintenance?

Check out the Marshall DSL15H, and maybe a 1936 cab. That pair will get you the sound you're looking for as well. I used to have the DSL100H and it's a beautiful versatile amp.

Thanks guys. A few nice options for me to check out there. I actually had a chat with the guy at the local music store the other day and he was singing the praises of the Katana. I think I'm one of those cork sniffers you mention but some of the demos on YouTube sound great.

+1 on the DSL. I used to have a DSL 100 and a 1960 angled cab. You could dial up just about ANY Marshall tone out of that thing. I've moved on from the 100 watt half stack and I now have the DSL 15h and a 2x12 cabinet. It's perfect for the house. I love it.

At the other end of the scale for marshally tones in a smaller head and cab other than marshall.

Friedman, such as a Small Box or Runt.

Suhr, one of the Badger series.

And from the UK, the Victory Sheriff, either the 22 or 44.

On the higher gain side of things, I have the Orange Dark Terror, and it's great, and it can clean up more than you'd expect, but the Tiny Terror or the Dual Terror would be great for more moderate gain.

Not the cheapest choice, but check out the Egnater Rebel 20 head; has both 6V6 and EL84 duets in power stage and you can dial in either or a mix of both. Also has a built-in 1-20 watt attenuator; been real happy with this one.

stratamania said:

+1 for Victory. I really like their amps, and I think the 22 would suit you.

There are a plethora of toaster amps that would pair well with 2x12 cabs for quite powerful, yet compact rigs.

Orange comes to mind with regard to some of the voices that you've described.

Then again, a small Boogie Mark V toaster and a few pedals, and you've got every genre' covered.

Axkoa said:
stratamania said:

+1 for Victory. I really like their amps, and I think the 22 would suit you.

I've been eyeing the Victory Sherriff since they announced it at NAMM.

Just went and had a bit of a play at one of the local stores. Their range isn't huge but I had a look at the Fender Bassbreaker, Marshall Class 5, and Orange Dual Terror. I really liked the Marshall, and it's mighty tempting for the price, but without a master volume it's probably still too loud for my needs. I'm starting to think that maybe modelling is the only way to go, but will try to track down some of the other suggestions.

T89Rex said:
I'm starting to think that maybe modelling is the only way to go, but will try to track down some of the other suggestions.

Modeling really is the best way to go, provided you have the right unit. You said earlier you have it covered with software, but those solutions are generally less than ideal as the processors in general-purpose "Wintel" or Apple computers aren't optimised for for that sort of work. While they're usually close enough for bedroom/basement/practice work, they often leave you somewhat less than satisfied for more serious endeavors, or if you're highly particular about tone. Ideally, you want something DSP-based with dedicated hardware specifically designed for sound reproduction. Problem there is you start getting into diminishing returns that can cost some serious money if you want an authentic result. Not so much the modelers themselves, although they aren't cheap, but by the time you buy a transparent amp, some FR/FR speaker(s) and a pedalboard to control the thing, you're often looking at a pretty substantial investment.

On the plus side, you do get the sound that a critical ear can love and you also get a good collection of high-quality studio-grade sfx that would cost you thousands were you to buy them separately. Then, there's the light weight and general lack of maintenance that are both very real issues with tube-based equipment. Finally, you often have many choices of what amp and/or speaker combination you're going to play through. Add all that up, and with something like a Fractal or Kemper unit you're actually buying a virtual $300K pile of gear for $3K-$5K all up.

Was the Marshall a combo or the head through a cab?  I ask because the combo is open back and a single 10" speaker, which IMO is not the best format for that.

The Marshall was through an open back Orange 2x12" with Vintage 30s (I think). Sounded great.

Will investigate that Katana at the other music shop in town in the next few days.

Check out the Black star HT1. I have the combo version but the thing really sounds best through my 212 cabinet.

Carvin V3M will cure what ails you - nice mini head at an acceptable weight, switchable from 50W down to 22W or 7W so you can avoid blowing your own head off, with usable tones from Fender-twin-clean through modern heavy-heavy gain.  Feature rich - kind of a Mesa-slayer. 

I forgot about that one. I've heard nothing but good things about the V3M as well. Also won "Best of Show" the 2011 NAMM show they introduced it at. No small feat, given all the gear that shows up at those things. As usual, Carvin prices aggressively so it can be had for $699.

Plus, it'll have that tube smell... :laughing7:

[youtube]ykDax5YTvZg[/youtube]​

Back