Halfway down - Wilkinson Barracuda

Fat Pete

Here we go again. Despite still not finishing the last build (or taking proper photos of the bass that was completed some time ago), another one starts.

This one will be another 'budget range' model, following in the footsteps of my 12 -string. I bought an unfinished Guitarbuild.co.uk Jazzmaster body a while ago and now, 4 weeks after ordering, the neck is here.

Roasted maple Warmoth baritone conversion neck

XTXS1351.jpg

XTXS1352.jpg

One concession to luxury - black MOP dots

XTXS1350.jpg

Swamp ash body. Nice and light - about 3lb 12oz

XTXS1355.jpg

XTXS1356.jpg

This will be getting a Wudtone treatment, or possibly some other easy diy finish. No bridge route/drilling as you can see; hopefully I'll be able to mount the Schaller 3D6 in the right place.

Just a few bits and pieces apart from the neck included in the Warmoth order. I'll be using a couple of Mustang slide switches (yes, I do know it's a Jazzmaster). I knew the dimensions before ordering but they still look enormous.

XTXS1353.jpg

I'll be documenting this build as slowly as usual, so don't start biting those nails just yet, thrillseekers.

That's a nice looking baritone neck, it's making me anxious to see mine. I hope they don't save all the figured pieces of roasted maple for the showcase.

ThePhilosopher said:
That's a nice looking baritone neck, it's making me anxious to see mine. I hope they don't save all the figured pieces of roasted maple for the showcase.
Thanks! It's a fine piece of wood but there's no flame or other figuring - I didn't order or expect any.

Fat Pete said:
ThePhilosopher said:
Thanks! It's a fine piece of wood but there's no flame or other figuring - I didn't order or expect any.

I probably would have if there were such an option in the builder, alas it doesn't exist. Either way, I'm really looking forward to this build.  :eek:ccasion14:

Major update!

Couple of these Duesenberg knobs arrived recently.

XTXS1404.jpg

I've used them before (in nickel and chrome) and I know some other forum members have used their parts - including the very cool-looking trems. I continue to be very impressed by the quality.

Another small update is that the plans I had for the diy-finished Jazzmaster body don't really fit with the knobs so I had to get a different body.

XTXS1405.jpg

XTXS1406.jpg

XTXS1410.jpg

XTXS1412.jpg

XTXS1413.jpg

This had been whispering to me in my dreams, speaking in soft but scaly tones of black hardware and Bare Knuckles.

This was a screaming deal I couldn't resist for some reason.

Usual slow work in progress thread when there is some.

The grain on that Swamp Ash body is just screaming for a Mary Kay finish. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to do that with wipe-on products. Although, now that I think about it, Behlen's "Master Gel" poly is a wipe-on. Could probably pigment that to get the desired effect. Pretty robust stuff, too.

Cagey said:
The grain on that Swamp Ash body is just screaming for a Mary Kay finish. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to do that with wipe-on products. Although, now that I think about it, Behlen's "Master Gel" poly is a wipe-on. Could probably pigment that to get the desired effect. Pretty robust stuff, too.

Minwax Pickled White stain, I think. This thread from The Gear Page shows how someone did it.  I dunno whether Minwax markets its wares in the UK, but it's an idea.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/colortone-mixed-in-wipe-on-poly.723176/

It ain't exactly Mary Kaye, but it's still a nice take on the concept.

That's an insanely cool Soloist body, Pete, but are you sure you want TWO green guitars?  I don't want you contributing to the breakdown of civilization, or anything like that.

:icon_jokercolor:

Bagman67 said:
It ain't exactly Mary Kaye, but it's still a nice take on the concept.

Yeah, that could work. Maybe thin it a bit so it's a little more translucent.

Bagman67 said:
That's an insanely cool Soloist body, Pete, but are you sure you want TWO green guitars?  I don't want you contributing to the breakdown of civilization, or anything like that.

:icon_jokercolor:

You don't? That's my life's work.

Anyway, this one isn't green. It is Metallic. Dragon. Burst.

Barracuda! That's ba ba ra ra cu cu da da

[youtube]2tvIVvwXieo&nohtml5[/youtube]

Now I just have to put it all together.

Fat Pete said:
Another small update is that the plans I had for the diy-finished Jazzmaster body don't really fit with the knobs so I had to get a different body...

Hmm, getting a new body to fit the knobs you got for another body ... I like the way you think, sir! :icon_thumright:

Not a fan of the Dragonburst usually, but it does look mighty nice when it's done as a metallic. I might have to order meself a metallic burst sometime soon...

Oh, and I'll say you absolutely can do a Mary Kaye style finish with wipe-ons. (And yes, in the UK!) The aforementioned Wudtone make a white finish which, like all Wudtone finishes, doesn't obscure the grain. You can put it on as thinly or as solidly as you like, and they now do a clear grain filler if you just want to see the grain and not feel it. You can also use their fast-aging top coat to take the sparkle off the white without going full butterscotch, so you can get any variation of Mary Kaye you like.

Back