Guitarists who've used one guitar almost exclusivley

I know he's been playing signature Ibanez guitars for awhile now, but Pat's Gibson ES with toothbrush was his main guitar for decades before it just couldn't take the rigors of the road anymore.

Attachments

• Pat6.jpg
    Pat6.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 403
Trey Anastasio is pretty much a one-brand guy, but he's got a handful of 'em - his Languedoc hollow-body jobs.

10439089-essay.jpg

Tommy Emmanual is a die hard supporter of the down under maker Matin. Sweet sounding guitars made out of all kinds of weird wood.

ChristopherG said:
Tommy Emmanual is a die hard supporter of the down under maker Matin. Sweet sounding guitars made out of all kinds of weird wood.

Are you sure that's not Maton?  Here's another guy who seems to like them:

bc1ff883244e2a219988e2fc2ffffd90.jpg

Geordie Walker of Killing Joke who's been using that Gibson hollow bodied gold thing since their 3rd album or something

geordie_walker_2009_08_01.jpg

Tim Armstrong of Rancid has a black Gretsch.
Tim+Armstrong+2012+Coachella+Valley+Music+-7IyGd2SOkdl.jpg

Page Hamilton of Helmet always has his magenta signature guitar.
2051321243_04d7c68d91.jpg

We can't forget Angus Young & Tony Iommi's SGs can we?
AngusYoung1.JPG
tony-iommi-credit-joby-sessions-450-100-970-80.jpg

Number One. Ridiculous amount of re frets but still going strong.

[youtube]49XBmLTwWsQ[/youtube]

Sure you will see him with some Y2Ds but he still plays this one after all these years.

ChristopherG said:

Maton. Based in Melbourne Victoria, Australia. They have regular factory tours.

I have spoken to people who work at Maton and who have had the pleasure of working there when Tommy called in. He picks up a guitar off the production line. Takes it out on tour. Thrashes the beejesus out of it, sandpapers the finish off the top for better percussive resonance.

Maton Custom Shop have built special occasion guitars for Tommy, but the ones he tours with, he will select off the factory floor and use til they can't be played any more. Tommy played Matons from when he was a boy.

The woods that Maton use go back to their origins. Being an Australian guitar maker when they started in 1949 meant they had huge quarantine hurdles to overcome with imported wood & Bill May decided early on to try out Australian woods. It was also more cost effective for a new business that was producing small numbers.

Maton are probably the experts at Australian wood use in guitars. I have a guitar with Victorian Blackwood back & sides and it sounds glorious (acoustic guitar). Maton tend to understate the appearance of their guitars with transparent and satin finishes.

Blackwood, according to Maton, has similar tonal properties to Koa but is less restrictive in availability.Being an Australian wood it  is protected, and Maton do go through the hoops to get their wood stock. It is more cost effective to send their wood contractor into the forests to legally get the wood under licence than to import Koa in bulk.

I find their acoustic electric pickup up there with the best too. Many an Aussie player uses a Maton for live work because of their price/quality comparison, robustness & the sound they can get live.

Mayfly said:
ChristopherG said:

Are you sure that's not Maton?  Here's another guy who seems to like them:

bc1ff883244e2a219988e2fc2ffffd90.jpg

Josh Homme has Maton signature semi acoustic guitar. He played it for first few years of endorsement contract, mostly when in Australia. But he's a troubadour with guitars and has used many in live & recording situations. Not really a candidate for this Thread.

That wood on the body is Victorian Blackwood btw. Beautiful wood when finished in an antique dark burst....

He's broadened out in more recent years, but for a very long time, Tom Morello stood behind this franken-axe:

tom-morello-arm-the-homeless-guitar.jpg

He's used other instruments over the years but this Telecaster with some odd modifications was the only electric guitar Mike Oldfield used on Tubular Bells.

IRoCcwl.jpg

And his next long-term guitar was a beaut ...

nOc6aFw.jpg

Nile Rogers (formerly of the disco band Chic and long time record producer) has used his '59 white strat with a maple fingerboard since he got it in the seventies and supposedly has played it on music in the studio resulting in 2 billion dollars of sales over the years for people from Bowie to Steve Winwood to Madonna.

Although I'm not in, total agreement with his politics,

article-0-0BDFEAD900000578-533_468x463.jpg

Just what a wonderful, and tasteful, piece of guitar work this is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDA5nHlDrQ[/youtube]

I'll just leave this here:

3c543aceb4230d27d2464329e5bd4c36.jpg

Although from what I understand Dr. May's (he's got a Science Doctorate now, you know) current stage guitar is a reproduction of his original.

Well, I was think that as well, but apparently not.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8[/youtube]

amigarobbo said:
Well, I was think that as well, but apparently not.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_OamX-PA8[/youtube]

Wow.  Well, I guess it's really solid oak.  I mean, it was around for 100 years before he made it into a guitar. But still, I find it weird.

Back