Guitar Snobs

I wish I had skipped 13.  Crappy year.  Folks who look back on their high school years as the best years of their lives must have really peaked early.  Poor bastards.  I pity the poor fools.

Got my first axe of my own (as opposed to the crappy nylon-stringed 3/4 scale toy that floated around the house) for my 19th birthday - a pawnshop turkey, but neither my mom nor I knew what we were doing.  It was a Ventura acoustic.  Sounded awesome in the stairwell of my barracks, but otherwise not so much.  Got my first electric when I was 20, headed toward 21, over Thanksgiving weekend in 1986.

Altar said:
I like W bodies and necks, but I really like vintage fender hardware. I dislike G&L for their lack of original designs, And I don't care what anyone says, you can't get better than a vintage tele. If these copy brands make such superior instruments, they should come up with their own designs.

I didn't read the whole thread and I won't comment your beliefs. Personally, I believe there are companies who are making better (whatever better means to any of us) strats & teles even from Fenders custom shop. Why they don't make their own designs? Because guitarists are close minded people. They believe in mojo, tradition, country of origin and lots of other crap. Most people won't even buy a strat with a slightly different headstock. They want to see the Fender logo on the headstock even though Leo Fender sold the company in 1965. The only way for a company to survive is to make copies of Fender & Gibson. This is the rule, exceptions exist.

Kostas said:
Because guitarists are close minded people.

I resemble that remark!!  :laughing7:

I don't like Epi's big ugly headstocks.
I don't like Strats with two humbuckers but I like them on Tele's.
I don't like Warmoth LP headstocks (close but not quite right).
I don't like Strat style headstocks on LPs and vice versa.
I don't like gold hardware.

None of it is logical. Most of it is just based on what I'm accustomed to seeing and of course, my own perverted tastes!

Kostas said:
Because guitarists are close minded people.

BunchaBitchyLittleGirls.jpg

You know guitar players. Buncha bitchy little girls.

Sorry about the necro-post, but for this post it seems the only appropriate way to do it.

Five years ago, this post was made:

Street Avenger said:
Katie[sic] Perry [...]  Five years from now, no one will even remember her.

At the time I remember thinking, I bet that isn't true. So I set a recurring reminder to go off on my phone each year so I could see how things were progressing. If you're interested in seeing those yearly updates, I edited them into an old post each year here |(starts about halfway down the post after the quoted post).

As a side note, before anyone says "oh man, you sad person, you've remained obsessed with this for five years", let me just remind you that I set a reminder on my phone and then addressed it when I had a spare ten minutes. Is there anything you've spent ten minutes a year on that you'd consider yourself obsessed with?

Joking aside, it was a massively wrong prediction. It's not just that people still know who she is - she's still huge, is all over TV and magazines, has a new album out and is headed out on another sellout world tour shortly. But I don't think this is really very surprising, is it? The poster didn't like the music, and assumed this would translate into a lack of longevity for that music. But of course it doesn't, because the key thing the poster missed is that his individual music taste is not indicative of worldwide trends. Different people like different music and you shouldn't think of the music you like as being objectively "good" while considering other music objectively "bad". This ought to be obvious in a forum full of guitarists who all have different preferences for guitars, pickups, amps, woods, plecturms, ad infinitum. Why shouldn't "if it sounds good, it is good" be true of recorded music too?

Back