Grolsch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Oatmeal stouts usually contain less than 20% oatmeal, or sometimes it's not mashed but instead removed before the mash. it's the exception that proves the rule, and anyhow why would the English pay attention to a German law?  And oatmeal (and wheat) thickens a beer without adding much alcohol, whereas rice or corn thins it out while adding lots of alcohol (i.e. contains lots of fermentable sugars). I'm not being ridiculous, I made my own beer from grain for about 15 years. You can make a case of beer in your kitchen for about $5 without resorting to corn or sugar.
The beers that you mentioned liking are %100 percent malt, and all the beers you said you didn't like have rice / corn fillers. Adding rice and corn makes it taste shiteety, as well as using miniscule amounts of odorless high-yield hops and specially engineered yeasts that ferment every last molecule of sugar in the grains, removing flavor and lowering the amount of grain required to yield a certain percentage of alcohol. Then they run commercials touting 'specially engineered yeasts' etc. The weird flavor of bud comes from lots of rice, while the weird flavor of something like Milwaukee's Best (what's the worst?) comes from corn and / or straight beet sugar. Coors et al have different proportions.

Around here the worst shit beer is Old Style.  It seems to be a disease of either Chicago or Milwaukee that has spread to the surrounding areas.

Anyway I still think Czech beer is the best... it's not for no reason the Czechs are the heaviest beer drinkers in the world.

tfarny said:
Blue Moon, Pyramid, and Widmer are three wheat beers that totally suck. imhop.

STDC, you are welcome to like what you like of course! No point in arguing that. But beer that isn't made with 100% barley isn't even called 'beer' in a lot of places including Germany. Adding corn and the stuff that the big American brewers use is like adding everclear and water to your whiskey. Still gets you drunk, but it sure ain't the same thing.
And here's my SAT question and answer for the younger guys -

Miller high life : high quality local beer :: spaghettiO's : nice fresh pasta

Highlife has the nickname "Low Life."  I never have to worry about anyone drinking it, that's for sure.  A lot of bars don't serve it.  They'll say, "We have MGD," which is actually a nicer beer.  I saw a history of American Beers type show on TLC, or Discovery, or the History Channel.  I can't remember, but it said the biggest reason for the difference in American beers compared to the "real beers" was climate.  For most of the agricultural part of the U.S., it's hotter and drier than most of Europe.  We can't grow the same stuff and therefore don't use a lot of the same ingredients.  More barley vs. hops.  Besides, when it's 107 degrees in the shade in August, I want a beer I can see through.

tfarny said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Oatmeal stouts usually contain less than 20% oatmeal, or sometimes it's not mashed but instead removed before the mash. it's the exception that proves the rule, and anyhow why would the English pay attention to a German law?  And oatmeal (and wheat) thickens a beer without adding much alcohol, whereas rice or corn thins it out while adding lots of alcohol (i.e. contains lots of fermentable sugars). I'm not being ridiculous, I made my own beer from grain for about 15 years. You can make a case of beer in your kitchen for about $5 without resorting to corn or sugar.
The beers that you mentioned liking are %100 percent malt, and all the beers you said you didn't like have rice / corn fillers. Adding rice and corn makes it taste shiteeety, as well as using miniscule amounts of odorless high-yield hops and specially engineered yeasts that ferment every last molecule of sugar in the grains, removing flavor and lowering the amount of grain required to yield a certain percentage of alcohol. Then they run commercials touting 'specially engineered yeasts' etc. The weird flavor of bud comes from lots of rice, while the weird flavor of something like Milwaukee's Best (what's the worst?) comes from corn and / or straight beet sugar. Coors et al have different proportions.

I was not defending rice and corn.  But wheat and oats have their place in beer world, even if some people don't like them.

STDC, the show you saw was complete and utter BS then. Barley grows well in the US, but it's more expensive and lower yielding than cheap corn. The pacific northwest is one of the best places in the world to grow fine hops, and we export a lot of them to Europe. The US can basically grow anything, this is the most fertile piece of land on the planet. I read somewhere that the midwest / great plains could feed the entire world if we all went vegetarian.

This isn't an issue, but I was referring to barley (not hops) being more dominant in American beers.  The Pacific Northwest was not a player in early U.S. beer developement.  It may have been BS.  I'm enough of a big boy to realize just because it's on TV or the internet it's not necessarily true.  Agriculturally, I'm well aware that the U.S. is the world's bread basket.

28149_m.jpg

BEER%20shiner%20bock.gif

These are the two mainstays with the Black being the Number One.  They stopped brewing my other two favorites which were seasonals: Kolsch and Dunkelweizen.

Back off-topic to Rolling Rock... I just heard that Rolling Rock is no longer brewed in Latrobe, PA, as of 2006.  I checked, the bottle no longer says "from the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe" which it always did before... :(

ByteFrenzy said:
I've been giving this 'favourite beer' thing some serious thought and I think it just comes down to variety. I really enjoyed the Efes when I was in Istanbul, when I'm in Germany I'll usually have Weizenbier or Hefebier, in Switzerland I usually have Calanda (although I enjoy it less now that they have been annexed by Heineken), in France I've had a couple of very nice beers from local micro-breweries, and here at home I just have one of five or six favourites depending on the situation. Jupiler, Westmalle, Leffe, Lindemans, De Koninck, Palm.
Hey Rene, you ever try any of this....
321px-Stella_Artois_Bottle.jpg

I should have quoted nonsense.  He was saying he wanted some Shiner Black.  I was a bit surprised he knew what it was.

Back